Strange power-on issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalbin83

Hello everyone,

Lately I've been experiencing a strange issue when I boot up my computer. When I press the power button on my tower, the system acts like it is booting up yet does not go all the way. It will simply freeze with the LED's on and nothing is displayed on the monitor. It is almost as if each component is not receiving adequate power. After two or three times however, the system will boot up normally.Additionally my external HDD will 'click' a few times during startup as if to indicate a physical problem though I believe this is simply due to the power-on issues as it seems to run normally after startup.

Simply put, it's as if the system must be 'primed' several times, like a lawnmower, before booting up normally.

Anyone know what this could be?? It gets me quite worried. It is a new system build as of about 6 months ago. My first thought was that it could be an issue with the power button from the case not making a proper connection with the motherboard.

Specs:
Intel Q6600 CPU
Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
Athenatech A412BB.400 case
WD 750 GB HDD
2 GB RAM

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

John

Hey john, that does sound like a power problem. Check to make sure that the front panel is correctly install on your mobo. Also check to make sure that yoru power supply is in fact secured on your mobo correctly. And make sure that you have enough power to provide enough juice to all of your devices. inculding your external ones too.

KINGMEET

Do you think that 650W is enough juice for my components? I don't really have any add-on cards except for a cheap graphics card since my motherboard doesn't have onboard video. The system worked fine for the past several months so it's really bizarre that it now must be 'primed' before each start.

And make sure that you have enough power to provide enough juice to all of your devices. inculding your external ones too.
?
This Member has been warned on many occasions (With many of his posts removed)
This type of answer, when the Power Supply wattage was clearly shown in the original post, shows someone with a lack of supportive ability.

KINGMEET I highly suggest that you do not post support replies, until you are in fact, able to!

jalbin83, lets start at the basics
Please try running a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive
By the way it is possible that your Power Supply is not working properly
You may need to test with a known working one.

hi kimsland,
i believe that my HDD is running fine. I think it is more an issue with power disbursement among my components and/or a weakening of juice to the motherboard via the case's power switch. is there a way to test for this? do you think i should switch cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back