Strange problem with explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojmoj0

It's a strange problem:
After the system sart-up explorer opens, stays on for a few seconds, then shuts down, then opens then repeats.
I see the icons and start bar disapear and reappear over and over non-stop.
I tried to use safe mode and do a system recovery but it didn't work !

Please help me !

After the system sart-up explorer opens, stays on for a few seconds, then shuts down, then opens then repeats.
I see the icons and start bar disapear and reappear over and over non-stop.

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. IT can be accessed using right click on Start> Explore. Is this what you're referring to? Does the Windows OS actually load?

Please give information about your computer and OS. Can't even suggest without that. Also history of recent updates, especially Windows Updates. You say 'System Recovery'- did you mean you did a System Restore back to before this started?

I'm talking about windows explorer.
My computer is a Petium 4 HT 3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM.
My OS is windows XP home SP2.
I usually make automatic update (each week).
did you mean you did a System Restore back to before this started?
Yes I meant System restore.

Tanks for your help ! :)

Repair Install. If that stabalizes the system, go through this sites Malware Preliminary Removal Programme.

Check the Event Viewer for the Error(s) that correspond to the WE crash:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer: one at a time, click on the System log and the Apps log and do this:
Right click> Properties on the Error> Click on the Copy icon below the down arrow on the top right. Either Paste here directly or Paste into Wordpad, then here. (Ctrl V)

Ignore Warnings and Information Events. Check the computer clock when WE shuts down and find "that" Error:. IF there are multiple, recurring Errors with the same ID#, the same Source and the same Description, I only need one copy.

Check the Event Viewer for the Error(s) that correspond to the WE crash:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer: one at a time, click on the System log and the Apps log and do this:
Right click> Properties on the Error> Click on the Copy icon below the down arrow on the top right. Either Paste here directly or Paste into Wordpad, then here. (Ctrl V)

Ignore Warnings and Information Events. Check the computer clock when WE shuts down and find "that" Error:. IF there are multiple, recurring Errors with the same ID#, the same Source and the same Description, I only need one copy.

But I found no error ! :confused:
I found just information events.
Also there is no error message when explorer closes!
I think that is not a WE crach.

Okay, look here:
Control Panel> Folder Options> View tab> make sure the line to 'show hidden files and folders' is UNCHECKED.

That can cause explorer crashes with NO errors! I don't know why this happen from that, but it can, especially if there are no Errors indicating anything else.

Let me know.

Did you reboot? Of corse I did
You would be amazed at how many users don't reboot and how many problems are solved with the simple reboot!

Open the Task Manager, sort the Tasks in alpha order by clicking twice on the top frame of the Image column. Look for any of the following:
explorer.exe
Explorer.exe
Iexplorer.exe
Lexplorer.exe

The correct PID# in the Task Manager is 676. Anything else needs to be identified.

The explorer.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows. Right click on Start> Explore> Windows> look on the right, below the folders to the files section, verify that you have only on explorer.exe and that it is in this section.

Open the Task Manager, sort the Tasks in alpha order by clicking twice on the top frame of the Image column. Look for any of the following:
explorer.exe
Explorer.exe
Iexplorer.exe
Lexplorer.exe

The correct PID# in the Task Manager is 676. Anything else needs to be identified.

The explorer.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows. Right click on Start> Explore> Windows> look on the right, below the folders to the files section, verify that you have only on explorer.exe and that it is in this section.

In the Task Manager I found only explorer.exe.
The PID of explorer.exe is changing each time explorer.exe restarts.
In windows I found only explorer.exe!

I guess I shouldn't have narrowed down the PID as mine is now 680!

You've verified the file, ruled out malware and have no Application Crash Events! I don't know where to go from her.

Check these Google pages and see if you can match up with any of their reasons for the explorer crash:
http://tinyurl.com/6gv3zs

I guess I shouldn't have narrowed down the PID as mine is now 680!

You've verified the file, ruled out malware and have no Application Crash Events! I don't know where to go from her.

Check these Google pages and see if you can match up with any of their reasons for the explorer crash:
http://tinyurl.com/6gv3zs

I don't think that It's an explorer crash.
Thank you anyway! :)

I don't think that It's an explorer crash.

Then you're going to need to come up with another description of what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back