Stranger Things 4 becomes only the second Netflix show to hit over one billion hours viewed

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: The latest season of Stranger Things was always going to be a big hit for Netflix, and now we have an idea of just how many people have watched it (to date). The entirety of season 4 has accumulated a massive 1.15 billion hours of viewing time over the first 28 days of release, making it only the second show to pass the one-billion-hours milestone. However, it isn't the most-viewed show in Netflix history, at least not yet.

The first seven episodes of volume 1 of Stranger Things season 4, which premiered on May 27, managed to rack up 930.32 million hours over their first 28 days, writes The Hollywood Reporter, while episodes 8 and 9 reached 221 million hours viewed in the week of June 27th to July 3.

Those 1.15 billion total viewing hours is a record for an English-language show on Netflix, but Stranger Things season 4 still hasn't managed to beat Squid Game. The Korean hit managed 1.65 billion hours viewed within its first 28 days of release and is the most-viewed show on the streaming site. But the 80s-set fantasy's second part only arrived on July 1, so there's still time for Stranger Things to steal the title from Squid Game.

We don't yet know whether the popularity of Netflix's flagship show has translated into all-important new subscribers. The service saw a decline in global subs (around 200,000) for the first time in a decade earlier this year, resulting in layoffs, canceled projects, and the confirmation of an ad-supported tier. It's also looking at clamping down on password-sharing, though initial tests of the technology haven't proved too successful.

In related news, Spotify has created The Upside Down Playlist so users can discover their personal savior song that could thwart Vecna, much like Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill did for Max.

Permalink to story.

These shows are like AD boards now, they are designed (nearly engineered) to pull in the maximum audience, without any value other than monetary. Hollywood consumerism.

Last edited:
These shows are AD boards now, they are designed (nearly engineered) to pull in the maximum audience, without any value other than monetary. Hollywood consumerism.
I mean, they're not really. Can't think of anything that S4 would be advertising other than a fake pizza brand and getting high?
While I don't think its the strongest series of Stranger Things, its pretty good artistically.

These shows are like AD boards now, they are designed (nearly engineered) to pull in the maximum audience, without any value other than monetary. Hollywood consumerism.

What about entertainment value? There is a reason so many are watching.

There's nothing entertaining on Netflix for me except Star Trek. I should just buy the DVDs.

I liked a lot of shows on Netflix that I ended up finding for cheap during sales and they're now on my Plex server. Of course it's not streaming channel based shows - very few of them end up on DVD (Stranger Things is on DVD, for an example).

Shows like: House, Futurama, Married with Children, Burn Notice, Psych (wish the movies would come out on DVD), My Name is Earl, The Big Bang Theory, The X-Files and so on. I grew tired of streaming them and just purchased my own copies and put them on my server. Now I watch them at anytime and anywhere I want to. I've got over a thousand movies on my server and around 3 dozen TV show series. Most movies I've purchased for $5 or less and TV shows, scrounge around for deals and you're bound to find them eventually.....like when Target had buy 2, get one free.....or I build up gift card money for amazon through a few programs I do and once or twice a year when I earn enough money on my gift card balance I just buy a TV series I like off Amazon.

I watched the first release of Stranger Things season 4 and I wasn't really impressed by it. It wasn't as good as the other ones. I haven't even cared that the last part of season 4 released.

I think the Stranger Things series is great. It doesn't feel cookie cutter and woke panel written, I don't know exactly what people are going to say and do next (which I do with so many shows and movies), it's visually appealing and kind of nostalgic with the 80's theme. Lots of boxes ticked there.

Kinda feel like they've used up a lot of the charm now though. The were a few "uuh..." moments in this last series, the writers seem to be falling to cliches. Would not surprise me if it fell off a cliff, ala GOT, but we'll see next season. I still have high hopes though.

Back