Streaming HD video over Wi-Fi?

Will_m

Hello everyone, I've recently built myself a little HTPC system for the living room but I'd like to stream some of the movies stored on it to my laptop downstairs over wireless.

Problem is that only the SD videos will stream reliably, any of the HD ones buffer every minute or so making them unwatchable. My isp is Be and my connection speed is usually around 10Mbps. If I use a wired connection I can stream 1080p stuff without problem it's just over wireless I'm having problems. I'm using XBMC for media playback.

Is there anything I can do with my wireless to enable me to stream HD stuff reliably?
I don't think it's signal related as it happens even if I sit right next to the router. I was thinking of getting a new USB highspeed wireless adapter but I'm pretty sure my router is only capable of the lower speed not the new 802.11n standard that seems to be the way to get the high speeds I need.

The only other thing I'm thinking would work is using one of those ethernet powerline adapters to get a wired connection for the bedroom. However these seem quite expensive, so my questions are is there anything I can do to improve my wireless or is there an easier way of getting a wired connection?

ethernet powerline adapters
will do no better than WiFi and maybe not at all.
If the circuits (sending & Receiving) are different branchs of your A/C panel, you're dead.

Even if you drop encryption in the WiFi, you would not stream sufficient bandwidth to avoid buffering.
You might try the 802.11n and/or a dual band router (2,4 + 5gb), but the 5gb is noted to have less range than the 2.4 due to higher frequencies are more susceptible to walls and other objects in the path.

your best bet is a hardwired connection (yea, I know the objections).

Back