Stuck at loading screen, safemode doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultivater

I'm pretty sure I had a trojan or something cause my computer kept getting worse. I tried several scanning programs but none of them cleared it up completely.

Anyway, now I can't even get past the windows loading screen, and if I try to log in through safemode, I get stuck at the screen that says "SyS.multidisk....." or something.

Is there any way that I can log in dos mode or something and completely wipe my system clean and reinstall windows xp? I don't have the disk, it came with windows XP already on it. I don't care if I lose all my files, I just want a working computer again, free of any trojans or anything.

So, can I somehow log in dos mode or something (I don't even know how to do that), wipe everything clean, including whatever virus screwed up my comp, and reinstall windows XP without the disk? I'm assuming I have a copy of windows XP saved on my hard drive or something, cause my computer came with windows XP already installed and they didn't give me a disk.

Thanks so much for the help, I hope I can get my computer working again.

Hi kultivater,

When you first turn on your computer, you may see a prompt stating press F10 (or another function key) to go to System Recovery (label may be different)

Please try restarting and then check for that key press. If you get into CMOS (bios) setup screen, that's not it (which is usually DEL or F1 or F2 key)

cause my computer came with windows XP already installed and they didn't give me a disk
Please contact them and purchase a restore disc
Usually the restore disc is at a reduced price, seeming you already own the computer and key

That looks interesting, I'm a total noob though. So I burn that to a CD and use that to boot up the computer, and maybe I'll be able to delete the virus or whatever is screwing everything up?

Yes

Burn the ISO image to CD (usually just double click on the ISO image, and your burning program will open...)

Ok I burned the CD, turned the computer on and put it in, am I supposed to do anything else? Cause right now it just continues to the windows loading screen like nothing's changed

Oh yeah, the cmos setting must be set to boot from CD as first boot device

When you turn on the computer, you will see a 3second option to press DEL or F1 or F2 < each computer is different)

Anyway go into CMOS and change the boot order to CD first.
Save and exit (F10 <-- at least that's common)

If it still doesn't work, you did use your burning software to burn the ISO image? (which automatically extracts the image to CD)

Ok I'm at the ultimate boot disk main screen. Where do I even begin? By the way, how do I go back to a previous menu? I pressed enter on one of the options by accident and I can't go back with escape. Thanks for the help by the way

Sorry for the double posts, I'm bored out of my mind until I get that computer working. So I figured out how to go back to a previous menu, nevermind that.

The anti-virus software has a date like 2007 next to it, is that even updated enough to get rid of modern viruses?

If so, should I just start by using the virus scan, or is there some other way I can clean this crap up? Like I said, I don't even care if I lose all my files, I don't really have anything on that computer important, but I don't have a Windows XP disk or any disks for that matter because it didn't come with any.

I thought the Antivirus had a little program in it that you could use to update the defs, even from using the bootcd. (it gets saved into a virtual drive)
Just run the bootcd Antivirus, it'll probably say do you want to update, yes!

The other option is to go through the C drive folders and start removing temp stuff (not Windows files !!!) just browse around (using whatever file manager comes with it) and delete files and /or folders you don't want (that don't stop Windows from running - I've said this twice now)

Anyway, I've got my own personal BootCD that does absolutely everything, so I don't use the UBCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back