Study: 49% of console gamers don't buy DLC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A new study released by Electronic Entertainment Design and Research (EEDAR) has partially answered why nearly half of all console owners don't purchase downloadable content (PDF). The percentage of gamers buying DLC has increased from 34% in 2009 and 40% in 2010 to 51% in 2011. Over 20 million North American consumers have purchased this year and digital add-on packs are expected to generate over $875 million in revenue during 2011. That figure is projected to reach more than $1 billion next year.

Nonetheless, 49% of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers refuse to pony up. Some 47% of non-DLC-buying respondents say they don't purchase the extra content because of privacy concerns -- presumably because you have to submit credit card information to your console. EEDAR noted that the PSN fiasco didn't do much to sway opinions as responses before and after the breach remained within four points of the average. What's more, Xbox 360 and PS3 owners remained within five points after the incident.

Below privacy concerns, 38% said they wouldn't purchase DLC because it lacks a return policy. Similarly, 32% feel they're being nickel and dimed, while 24% say they don't purchase add-on content because they get enough free DLC to satisfy their needs. It seems companies need to improve their marketing and distribution efforts as 24% claim they avoid paid extras because there's no demo, 21% cite a lack of reviews, 20% say DLC has inadequate descriptions, while 15% believe the process is too long and complicated.

Permalink to story.

thats because they cost a stupid amount of money. Its a scam system that hopefully will fail soon.

I'm with the group that feels we are being nickel and dimed. Companies are releasing 2/3 finished games then making you buy the rest. When I buy a game, it should be the whole game. I was never all the found of the expansion pack system that DLC's seem to be replacing.

True hackers did show how lazy ps3 is with there security, there credit card and social security numbers weren't even encrypted, before lulsec attacked them who knows how many people had there identities stolen from console makers incompetence. I have not played a game worth buying DLC. The closest thing would be wow and I hardly even like that game. Until they bring back free user generated content in all genres I'll be shaking my head at the gaming industry.

I'm with the nickle and dimed group as well. I'm also perfectly content to wait for the "gold" editions with all the DLC included in it. I don't like being taken advantage of.

THIS is exactly why there SHOULDN'T be PRICED MAP PACKS! From my perspective, priced map packs divide the online community. Not everyone will buy DLC, and therefore not everyone will be able to join the same servers running certain maps.

DEVELOPERS! If you want to make money, DO IT another way. Like let people buy custom models, weapons skins, avatars, logos, etc. online. BUT for the sake of the game community, DO NOT SELL MAP PACKS! Again, it divides the online gaming community! Either release map packs for free or release them with the game itself.

I'd be curious to see what the percentage is for PC gamers.

I'm not a big fan of DLC - like others I think it should be included in the game to begin with. Some DLC's you can knock out in 3 hours or less. That's ridiculous. If they want to do a significant content upgrade, then they should release it as an expansion pack similar to what Crysis: Warhead was for Crysis.

The largest part of console gamers are kids ages 15-24.
Most of them don't have credit cards and their Xbox live account is setup under their parents name or affiliating parent. These people make up the LARGE majority of the people who have Xbox live Gold accounts and only care for online fragging.
This makes tuning a system to your liking and setting up quick purchases more of an afterthought for most console owners.
PC gamers are usually older and more mature/weathered, and things like Steam are changing the world for how people purchase and use software.

I love my 360S LE: Reach Edition but there are plenty of things that need to be sorted out before people start thinking of these units as complete entertainment systems. I use mine of Netflix and I love it but most kids don't.
Microsoft should save all this effort and implement it into their upcoming console.

Remember the days before DLC when there were expansion packs? Kind of like DLC but much larger and (mostly) worth the money that you paid for it and it was not just content they did not include on launch because they knew we would pay for it anyway?

Man, do I remember the days…

The only time I get DLCs is when there is an ultimate edition (or similar) of the game and I wait for its price to drop dramatically. Otherwise I pretty much avoid them like the plague.

The only DLC I've bought was the Deus Ex Human Revolution Missing Link DLC. I feel I got my moneys worth, I was craving more Deus Ex gameplay and it's exactly what I got.

Uh one offtopic note. Why does it keep referring to them as HD console owners? It sounds like a tech illiterate trying to describe the 7th generation video game consoles but not knowing to call them that so they just decided to slap HD in the title.

Princeton said:

Uh one offtopic note. Why does it keep referring to them as HD console owners? It sounds like a tech illiterate trying to describe the 7th generation video game consoles but not knowing to call them that so they just decided to slap HD in the title.

HD is slapped on everything now and I don't think anyone knows what it means.

I'm with the nickel & dime crowd too; think out of all my games I have, I only purchased a handful of DLC. I remember when it was touted as a saving grace from high prices with small content packages gamers could enjoy. But instead we get incomplete games at full price with overpriced DLC that completes it. I'm sure if they ever looked into the PC market it would be even lower.

Princeton said:
Why does it keep referring to them as HD console owners? It sounds like a tech illiterate trying to describe the 7th generation video game consoles but not knowing to call them that so they just decided to slap HD in the title.

They seem to be referring to 360/PS3 owners only and inadvertently or intentionally taking a shot at the Wii's lack of HD. They do mention the Wii-U's inclusion should expand these results in 2012, hence the billion or greater prediction.

amstech said:
The largest part of console gamers are kids ages 15-24.
Most of them don't have credit cards and their Xbox live account is setup under their parents name or affiliating parent. These people make up the LARGE majority of the people who have Xbox live Gold accounts and only care for online fragging.
This makes tuning a system to your liking and setting up quick purchases more of an afterthought for most console owners.
PC gamers are usually older and more mature/weathered, and things like Steam are changing the world for how people purchase and use software.

I love my 360S LE: Reach Edition but there are plenty of things that need to be sorted out before people start thinking of these units as complete entertainment systems. I use mine of Netflix and I love it but most kids don't.
Microsoft should save all this effort and implement it into their upcoming console.

Since when do most people over 18 not have credit cards and get their parents to buy "game content" for them? I am pretty sure the majority of people in America have some sort of job and at least a debit card by the time they are 24. Do not lump us young adults with the snotty 15-18 teens.

I'm surprised "Not high enough quality" didn't get higher on the list. I barely buy any games because I only want to support games that I feel are high quality. Same goes for the DLC. I've actually only ever bought one DLC in my life and it was the Vietnam DLC for Bad Company 2. That was worthwhile to me because it actually added a new gameplay experience to BC2. Really, compare the 4-map DLC of COD to the themed expansion that is BC2:Vietnam. Both were $15. I just felt like DICE's DLC was actually worth it.

I only buy DLC on my PC or whatever if the price is cheaper! If I have to waste my bandwidth downloading something, it better be cheaper! For example, Starcraft 2 (for the PC, I realize but the idea is the same) is $60 US for digital download, that is insane, it should be far cheaper, and I refuse to pay that much. On the other hand I really enjoy some Steam content and GOG.com which are dirt cheap.

Why would I buy dlc for a crap game(which is many now). Pay $60 + for a unfinished game or a very short game only to pay another $15 or more for something that should have been included in the first place. Sorry but the greedyness of the game companies is what hurts them the most. Piracy is up because alot of games aren't worth the price tags. Lower the prices and I bet more people buy the game and dlc. Nickel and dime us everywhere they can.

My PS3 isn't hooked up to the net. So i suppose i'm in the "Only single player available".

I thought i would be the last guy on earth who didn't have his console rigged up to the net...obviously not.

I would have to cast my vote for the "Too Expensive" option. Me and my cousin tried to play Call of Duty: World at War - Nazi Zombies. I know, I know... we are playing an obsolete game in the franchise. But that's besides the point. The DLC to get a few maps and a trophy or 2 costs 25 dollars! 25 dollars for a garbage game that came out in 2008? Get real. I wouldn't even have considered that when it was brand new.

Like many of the users who have posted before, I don't want to spend $60 dollars on a game, then pay another $20 afterwards to get a few maps and a costume or some crap like that. Either start making DLCs worth the unreasonably high prices they cost, or reduce the prices.

hello ...

i'm one of the 51% then but always buy when on sale or mostly bundled offers :p

the only game i spend a lot for sometimes not much is now a somewhat free MMO where i'm still a VIP subscriber & can't feel like changing this soon.

cheers!

i think this is a very positive figure for the companies , 51% buying them is higher than i would of thought. Most DLC is a waste of money , it does make me angry COD charge for maps while making billions , i would never buy a map pack for money out of principle , especially when there's companies like valve giving away lots for free , i tip my hat to them. Not all DLc is crap though , there some rare good ones.

I think at it's core DLC is a good idea , would be great to always get a little bit more of a great game , it's just the quality isnt usually there.

Back