Stuttering issue in games, possibly monitor problem

KnightofBane

Hey dudes.

got a small tech problem and hoping you guys know what the problem is. ever since I built my computer last year I've noticed a lot of my games stutter when my character is moving. I've noticed this in Sleeping Dogs and Path of Exile most notably, but other games like The Witcher 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as well. the screen seems to stutter for a millisecond every 2 or so seconds, or sometimes every second. occasionally it'll just stop completely (as in it won't stutter at all). my FPS is staying a constant 60 though. no dips in FPS at all. it's like the game jumps or something.

anyone have a clue what it is? it's a minor visual complaint, but it's pretty irritating.

also my specs:

8GB RAM
2GB 6950
i5 2500k factory settings

EDIT: okay so I've noticed this issue does not happen in windowed mode. I'm trying to go fullscreen on my 2nd monitor to see if it's monitor related, but having a little trouble.

EDIT 2: tried recording in Fraps to show people. seems to completely or almost fix the stuttering while recording so I'm guessing it's not my monitor

here's the video showing off a little bit of it.
the beginning is where it's mostly at and the big stutter at 0:14~ is just an FPS drop, but the rest is the stuttering issue I'm getting

What hard drive(s) do you have installed? Have you checked the boot drive for errors, if it is not an SSD drive?

Go to computer, right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next boot up. What antivirus program do you have installed?

Ran it. didn't see anything standing out as bad, but perhaps I missed something. is there a place the results are saved or something?

I am using norton 360. never had any kind of malware etc. at least out of what N360 can detect.

ran the temp file cleaner as well.

I think buying a new power supply is a bit hasty. I mean if it's clear cut that it's my PSU I don't mind shelling out the money for one, but without the solution being clear I'd rather do a bit more process-of-elimination before I start buying new parts. I appreciate your help, though.

All of this hardware is a year old, give or take a week. and yes it is I cleaned my entire PC when I checked my PSU.

one thing I noticed is when vsync is off the stuttering stops. however I get screen tearing so that's a whole other problem.

Check the hdd for activity when the stuttering occurs. Sounds like the data is not getting through quick enough hence the stutter.

Back