Stuttery, horrible performance (due to GPU drivers I suspect)

DeliciousPie

Hi!

I apologise for the slightly ambiguous title, but I wasn't sure how to communicate what's going on and fit it in.

Basically, my computer is doing everything (from youtube videos, opening new windows, even making selection boxes on the desktop) very, well, stuttery. It's like everything is coming through at 3-4 frames per second, making everything very frustrating or impossible. Programs also seem to run slower (not just display slower).

I suspect my graphics card because, when I uninstall all my GPU drivers with Driver Sweeper, everything runs smoothly (although, obviously, I can't launch any games and the resolution is messed up).

I have no idea what to do, I've run every scan I have (CC cleaner, Ad-aware, spybot, Microsoft Secruity Essientials. Everything short of a defrag) and it hasn't picked anything up. I'm very frustrated and about to reinstall windows 7 and *pray* that will help.

I just resat my GPU and it doesn't look damaged or anything, I suspect this is a software issue because I downloaded something I shouldn't have (it was a torrent. I feel shame, yes) and after turning on my PC for the first time after downloading it (and apparently it not working) I got stuck at a black screen saying "loading personal setting for C:/users/MYNAME (or something like that) after logging in. I fixed that by restarting in safe mode and deleting the offending files.

I'm really, really frustrated and out of ideas short of reformatting and trying again. I apologise that my first post is a "HELP ME PLZ", but I found this site out of desperate googling and, being an avid but amateur PC gamer and fan I promise I won't be a one-post wonder! I'm just frustrated and desperate.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm going out of town tomorrow but I'm going to bring my laptop so I can hopefully keep an eye on this thread and thank any and all who try to help me!

[Edit]Strange twist! On a whim, I created two new accounts on my computer, one admin and one standard. As my PC is just for me I'd never had any other accounts created. Low and behold, I am typing this right now on my "Test Admin" account and everything is working fine! GPU drivers installed and all! What in the hell is going on? So weird!

I'm tentatively going to say I fixed the problem and that it had nothing to do with drivers at all.

It's survived a restart and is running smoothley, so I think I've fixed it. I did a bunch of stuff while on my other account, and I think deleting the downloads folder is what did it.

So, sorry to add yet another thread to the boards. Still, I'm happy that I stumbled upon this website in my panic. I love tech!

Back