Sudden overheating problem after six months - advice?

Teh JeY

I have a Samsung RF510 laptop; really nice and plays games nicely, but as of yesterday I've had a problem.

Whenever -anything- that runs causing the fan to start roaring and the vents to get hot, the laptop will suddenly shut down after just 10 minutes. It could be games, I could be rendering a video in sony vegas, doesn't matter.

Thing is, the corner where the vents were would always get really hot on my laptop and this has never posed a problem before; only now it is suddenly shutting down. It's never done this before yesterday, and I mean never. Even a week straight of 5 hours of Borderlands on max settings every night never caused an issue.

Would blowing compressed air into the vents help? Is there a known issue (I did LOTS of searching all day, though it only found people with similar problems who haven't fixed them)? should I try something else completely?

I would appreciate any advice! I can provide additional specs if necessary.

Compressed air might help. Is this notebook on a flat surface when you use it? Try not to use these thing on bed covers and sheets.

It's on a desk. Sometimes I move it between two desks. It's usually never anywhere else. It has only encountered this issue on both of the desks I use.

Wow, a nice deal on it too, Thanks! It might do the trick =)

I would still like additional tips though if anyone may have them; it would be really helpful for I may encounter multiple situations!

I have found the problem and solution both temporary instant fix and a permanent.
I Have too a Samsung RF510 and also have had mine for around 7 months now i have been experiencing overheating problems constantly games, rendering just like you, so i opened her up just now, no dust, fan works fine so i was a little bit brave and removed the heat sink, fan, thermal pad etc So the GPU and CPU were open, this is where the problem lies, as you can probably now see if you have done this is that the thermal paste has practically evaporated from the CPU (Maybe GPU but rare as the temps it reaches are much lower but eventually it will affect your GPU in the same way) and has collected at the sides in a solid form. If you know your consoles this is basically the same as the xbox RROD the thermal paste has dried up and been squashed to the sides.

Solutions:
Temporary instant: Now what i just did was carefully scrape the solidified thermal paste onto the centre of the CPU Cores and applied the heat sink and it is now running like it used to i just ran Minecraft which before would overheat my laptop in minutes, it now doesnt go over 70oc.

Permanent Fix: a New tube of silver thermal paste should do the trick for another year or so the tube should last you a few applications so the fix is not expensive at all.

i personally looking at the motherboard dont think that cooling was properly thought through but nevertheless this is my solution please reply to me if the Temporary solution worked for you as it did for me :))

Rice ~ Good luck mate

Unfortunately I have no experience opening up laptops, but I think if I did a bit of hunting online i could take care of this properly. Thank you very much for your post; I'm sure your problem/solution is identical to mine!

I'll get to it soon, hopefully this will be the case. Thanks again for your input!

...My thermal paste arrivaed, except now I have a new issue, how do I open up the laptop? I'm a bit lost and I can't seem to find anything online to help guide me through.

EDIT: nevermind, got it all sorted out, cleaned off and a new layer applied. I'll be trying out some games soon!

...My thermal paste arrivaed, except now I have a new issue, how do I open up the laptop? I'm a bit lost and I can't seem to find anything online to help guide me through.

EDIT: nevermind, got it all sorted out, cleaned off and a new layer applied. I'll be trying out some games soon!

Did it work ?

~ Rice

Yes, yes it did! Like a charm! Now I just have to fix an issue with my screen turning black randomly all the time - a driver update should do the trick though.

Hi
I have the same computer and it does the same when I am rendering a video it shuts off , I am not sure how to open my compter and cannot find any info at all only for a R510 not RF510 they are different ,if anyone has any links to how to open it I would be grateful .

So glad I read this, I'm going to try this coolant on the CPU. Thanks guys. I have used my laptop for 4 years, gaming etc. So I must have done alright out of it.

chrisjaz here's a guide on taking apart a R510. Be careful I've just broken one of my connectors...

linuxtweaking.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/how-to-open-samsung-r510-notebook.html

I have exactly this problem. What's funny is I had the tab open on the laptop that overheats and couldn't recall the Google search term I used to find this post :D

Anyways, it's winter and finally made the time to get hold of the post. Also would like to share a dis-assembly video that I found after giving up on getting this thing opened in case anyone else is also struggling:

You're welcome :)

Back