Sudden performance loss in Win7

Doug8765

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this question. If not, please redirect me.

This weekend I renewed my Bitdefender coverage and that got me a new version - Bitdefender Internet Security 2012. Since then my browser performance (Mozilla Firefox 3.6.23) has declined by a lot. I can type for a long time before the keystrokes show up.

How do I investigate? How do I fix the performance decline?

Your help much appreciated.

Doug

More then likely BitDefender could be taking a lot of the processing power, or doing a heavy amount of active scanning..

To check if it is your Firewall turn it off, do a test, see if its better. If it is, maybe check the settings. If it only seems to be super slow while typing in a browser then check the firewall/security settings pertaining to browsing..

If typing seems to be slow across anything, even with the firewall off (in word documents, IM programs, E-mail, browsing..) Then I would look at doing a scan on your computer there may be a key logger installed. However it is most likely the firewall.

Thanks. I'll try those after work this evening. Much appreciated. You'll see a reply early this evening.

Doug

I uninstalled the BitDefender and my performance immediately got better. Now that I paid the money I don't want to pay for another antivirus/firewall. What solutions are there that are free? Do they work?

There are no "free" solutions. Any free firewall is a bad firewall.. If you paid for BitDefender it is best to use it.. What OS are you running and How much RAM Do you have on this computer?

To find out, Click Start>right click My Computer then select Properties. In here it should tell you how much RAM you have and what OS is on the system.

My computer has 8 GB of memory and runs 64-bit Windows 7.

It bothers me to be waiting on Bitdefender email support which seems to either ignore me or gives me wrong solutions.

It has 8gigs 64bit windows 7 and it still has a major decrease in preformance??

Hm, there seems to be something flawed with that program. With 8gigs of RAM you should be fine.. You may want to look at the options in BitDefender.

Did you have a previous AV installed prior to BitDefender, and was it uninstalled Before installing it?

It seems a lot of people have problems with it. I would try your best to get your money back for the product.

I have had Bitdefender for 2 years, but they forced me to install a new version that looks completely different. The version I had up until Saturday worked just fine and I never had to pay much attention to it.

I keep this machine as clean as I can. I run Malwarebytes frequently, CCleaner every day and the Windows Disk Cleanup app every day.

I cannot imagine that they'll give me my money back, but it's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug

You could try and see about uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the Old version with your currently purchased Product Key. If that works, run it for the year and look for a new AV.

One I suggest is Trend Micro, they have a pretty good AV.

FYI, they got back to me with a couple suggestions:
1) They gave me some links to removal apps that uninstall other apps that are installed but do not run, that I don't use. I did all those steps and rebooted; it made no difference. No surprise there.

2) They gave me access to the old version, the 2010 version, along with a license key for it. I tried that, but still the streamer does not work. The problem with the 2010 version is that back in 2010 the people who publish the streamer were willing to help with the Bitdefender security software and that made it work, but now their tech people are not allowed to help out. They specifically say that Bitdefender has caused them problems that other security software does not seem to have.

I am appreciative that they're trying suggestions. I've asked them if they want to try anything else or whether they'd like to return my money.

Thanks and I'll update you. You've been helpful to keep me thinking.

BTW, I note that you wrote that "Any free firewall is a bad firewall." Does that apply to free *antivirus* like Avast? There's a Windows 7 firewall that I have not been using. Isn't it the case that I need two things: firewall and antivirus?

Doug

There are no "free" solutions. Any free firewall is a bad firewall.. If you paid for BitDefender it is best to use it.. What OS are you running and How much RAM Do you have on this computer?

To find out, Click Start>right click My Computer then select Properties. In here it should tell you how much RAM you have and what OS is on the system.
I would say Comodo Firewall isn't bad for a free firewall.

@OP
Comodo Personal Firewall x86/x64 is considered to be one of the best out there, regardless of any debate about free or paid versions. I would advise you to try out the free version, it takes little effort and time to get used to it, but IMO it is worth the effort. You can also try Online Armor which too is very good solution.

re: Comodo Personal Firewall; agree.

re: Avast: just wonderful and can be configured to alert you for any program update or replacement.

Back