Suddenly bad frame rates in World of Warcraft

ryan29121

I have been playing world of Warcraft off and on for a little while. I have owned my current computer for 3 years and is the one I use to play wow with. Ever since recently, I run the game perfectly on max settings, with 40-60fps at all times. Now I get 1-10fps when running the game on the same settings and same computer. Recently I upgraded Hard drives and had to re-install windows and Wow. I installed Wow on my secondary HDD, which is the only change in my system. All my drivers are current. Also, I tried Dead rising 2 for the PC and my computer ran is great with 60fps. What could be causing WOW to run so slowly? Is it because the 4.0.1 patch or something with my system? My buddy with a similar computer is running his just fine.

• This problem is not due to heat because I have fantastic cooling
  • This problem is probably not due to drivers because I have installed and updated all drivers
  • I have tried disabling all addons, and problem still persists.

Thank you very much in advance for any help or advice.

I'm guessing that there is probably something with an add on acting up (even though you disabled them). WoW is one of those excellent games that you can just drag and drop the folder anywhere and still be able to play it. So the location of the World of Warcraft folder probably is unrelated (although you might want to try dragging the folder back to your new main hdd just to rule it out).

There is a files check tool on Blizzard's site that checks the integrity of the game files. You might want to run that just to make sure nothing got corrupted during the moves and updates.

Posting another reply here since I just noticed something in my game - it seems that for some reason Vertical Sync is enabled by default. I could swear that I had it disabled before the patch.

It might not be an issue with your system - but check it out anyway.

Thanks for the responses, but I tried moving the wow installation folder over to my SSD drive and I still get bad frames. I am thinking the problem lies in my video card. For a year or so now, i get random 1-2 second lockups and flashes in the screen. I was okay with it because everything ran well. Now that I get bad frames and random lockups I think its time to RMA my video card. Thanks again for the advice. Let me know if you can think of anything else it could be.

So every other game you have is running perfectly except WoW?

if so, i can think of some things you could do:

1: have you tried reinstalling it to your primary HDD? (even if it's not possible, do it just to test your HDs)

2: have you tried lowering every single option til it looks like polygon boxes?

3: have you tried cleaning your registry?

4: patches, drivers, etc.?

5: have you checked with blizzard customer support? if it's a WoW related problem, they might give u the assistance you need

6: did you try cleaning your pc? i've had similar problems, and by cleaning my gpu (which was infested with dust) my games are running smooth as hell now

More than likely, most of it is because of the patch. Alot of people have been complaining about it. Just be patient. They'll work it out.

I had a big problem with fps in Dalaran after the patch, went from about 40 to about 4 fps. Fixed it with the new DirectX11 API - add "SET gxApi d3d11" to wtf\config.wtf.

I don't know if that helps you, at least your system specs say GeForce 8800 card...

The patch has caused a lot of problems for people. I didn't really notice any slow down on my system which is 4 yrs old. I still get good fps in Dalaran after the patch.

Back