Support for new i5 CPU

Yes. It's not really a question of if the CPU supports any given operating system, but rather whether the motherboard's manufacturer offers drivers to match the OS.

As an example, if you had a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H motherboard, you would go to Gigabyte's website, then download drivers specific to that board and OS combination.

The necessary drivers are normally: chipset, audio, video, and LAN (ethernet). Running under XP, you would also need SATA drivers to run SATA HDDs as SATA.

Isn't this the question I just answered, more or less? If you can get the correct drivers for XP, then yes. If not, then no! Plus you have the extra aggravation of dealing with a system that has restore discs, and not an actual Windows disc.

Like Captain said, whether it will work on your laptop depends on whether your laptop manufacturer has made drivers for Windows XP.

If you can get your exact hardware fitted its possible you can hunt down valid XP drivers for your hardware though, all be it from different places online.

That said, I'd be surprised if they have, as XP finished being shipped on new hardware long before the i5 core was released. Its worth a try though.

Back