Supposedly canceled LG G7 makes an appearance using iPhone X-style notch

midian182

Staff member

We knew that LG was unveiling an updated version of its V30 handset at MWC, but the V30s ThinQ hasn’t received much publicity as it features very few improvements over last year’s model. What has caught people's attention, however, is the appearance of the LG G7—a phone that’s not supposed to exist.

Initially we were expecting to see the new LG G7 at the Barcelona event, but then CEO of LG Electronics Jo Seong-jin, ordered work on the phone to be scrapped in January. Replacing the G7 is a new device codenamed Judy, which will reportedly arrive in June with an all-new design. Additionally, LG is set to move away from its “G” naming system, so we don’t know what Judy will end up being called.

So, it was surprising to see Israeli publication Ynet post a video of a handset from MWC clearly marked G7 (codename Neo). According to leaker Evan Blass, this is the device LG was working on when it was canceled in favor of Judy, and it could give us an idea of what to expect in the upcoming flagship.

The most obvious feature is the inclusion of an iPhone X-style notch. It's not present in one image, suggesting a black status bar can fill the top of the screen, essentially hiding the cutout. So many Android developers are adding notches to their phones now that the Oreo update is expected to support these designs.

The G7 boasts a 6-inch 3120 x 1440 OLED display with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. It comes with two vertical 16 MP cameras, an 8 MP front snapper, a rear fingerprint sensor, up to 6GB of RAM, up to 128GB of storage, and a 3,000mAh battery. Like most 2018 flagships, it uses Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 platform.

Interestingly, Blass added that a Q7 and V35 were shown alongside the G7, as was a new watch.

Should Judy be based on the design of the G7, it will be interesting to see how Android fans take to the Apple-inspired notch. Judging by their early reactions to the design, it’s not going to be popular.

Permalink to story.

I can't think of a more blatant example of Android copying apple-style than this atrocity right here.

I can't wait to hear the excuses as to why they did it.

And that only goes to show you exactly why Apple did keep the notch - though I feel they shouldn't have.

It's brand imprinting.

From a distance, you can tell when someone has an iPhone X. Apple never wants its devices to be confused with any android - ever - so giving it a regular full screen was undesirable.

Everything from how it looks to how people hold it when they use it speaks to it being an Apple.

I can't think of a more blatant example of Android copying apple-style than this atrocity right here.

And that only goes to show you exactly why Apple did keep the notch - though I feel they shouldn't have.

It's brand imprinting.

From a distance, you can tell when someone has an iPhone X. Apple never wants its devices to be confused with any android - ever - so giving it a regular full screen was undesirable.

Everything from how it looks to how people hold it when they use it speaks to it being an Apple.

LG might have gotten a deal from samsung on Apple's OLEDs due to lack luster iPhone X sales

LG might have gotten a deal from samsung on Apple's OLEDs due to lack luster iPhone X sales

I have a 256GB iPhone X. I guess not everyone could come up with $1250 (with tax).

Fortunately, they had an option: iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus.

Those sold well - or at least as good as they needed too.

My apple stock's doing just fine since this time last year.

I have a 256GB iPhone X. I guess not everyone could come up with $1250 (with tax).

This is why people hate apple fanboys. I literally said nothing about the quality of the iPhone X. There was an article awhile ago about how there was an overstock of Samsung OLEDs used in the iPhone X. Apple overshot sales expectations and now there are a surplus of screens in the market

You guys are the worst type of fanboys. Your phone cost more than my first effin car, get your priorities straight

This is why people hate apple fanboys. I literally said nothing about the quality of the iPhone X. There was an article awhile ago about how there was an overstock of Samsung OLEDs used in the iPhone X. Apple overshot sales expectations and now there are a surplus of screens in the market

You guys are the worst type of fanboys. Your phone cost more than my first effin car, get your priorities straight

This is why I LOVE the way Apple does business.

No compromises. Either they can afford it or they can't.

No deals.

No "buy one - get one".

I already have a house (mortgage paid off) and two high-performance cars. On'e s $1060 a month and the other is $1030 a month. Insurance comes to $500 a month for both. My chick has her own car and pays for her own car. My priorities are just fine.

I'd have paid $1500 for my iPhone if they had 512GB available.

These phones are luxury devices. Not for everyone.

Gotta pay to play.

If you can't swing it, get a B.L.U or something lol.

No need to hate someone simply because of the phone and or laptop he or she prefers to buy with his or her hard earned money.
Ones who are haters of what others prefer to buy need to get their priorities straight.

No need to hate someone simply because of the phone and or laptop he or she prefers to buy with his or her hard earned money.
Ones who are haters of what others prefer to buy need to get their priorities straight.

Apple will never bend to their will.

what bothers them is that Apple refuses to let them run iOS and refuses to let them run Android on their phones.

They want a level of quality they can't get beyond Apple.

And then there's Apple's advertisement. I drove into Manhattan yesterday. Their "Selfies" billboards and iPhone X billboards must send chills down Galaxy owner spines.

Bleh. The G7's big claim to fame was a notch.

Looking at the rest of the specs, it looked just like another generic android handset with the same specs and a bad skin job that wont get 2 years of updates.

Bring back the removable batteries, and the G7 might be interesting.

Bleh. The G7's big claim to fame was a notch.

Looking at the rest of the specs, it looked just like another generic android handset with the same specs and a bad skin job that wont get 2 years of updates.

Bring back the removable batteries, and the G7 might be interesting.

Removable batteries and user-replaceable memory tend to bring asymmetrical user experiences. And that's why Apple mostly kept their devices devoid of that - and the reason why most handsets are moving towards that. Cheaply made batteries failing (and exploding) SD cards failing - or not giving the amount of power longevity promised. Some SD cards on the internet claim 512GB and end up being 32GB flashed to claim 512GB.

It's brand imprinting.

They copied the notch from my Samsung protective screen, If you look at protective screens, they have the same notch, at least the ones for my Note 5 and previous Note 4. The notch has been around for ever. So you paid all that money, and could have just bought a screen protector for around $5....lol Its an Isheep thing I guess! Oh and no problems with my sd card or exploding batteries nor bending phone!

Apple will never bend to their will.

what bothers them is that Apple refuses to let them run iOS and refuses to let them run Android on their phones.

They want a level of quality they can't get beyond Apple.

And then there's Apple's advertisement. I drove into Manhattan yesterday. Their "Selfies" billboards and iPhone X billboards must send chills down Galaxy owner spines.
Not at all!

Back