Surface Pro 3 just as difficult to repair as previous models

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft surface pro teardown microsoft tablet ifixit surface pro 3

Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3 recently met an unfortunate fate: the iFixit teardown table. The brand new tablet out of Redmond is thinner and lighter than the slate it replaces but that doesn’t mean it’s any easier to repair.

As you can see from the photo below, things didn’t get off to a great start. If the pros managed to break the screen, the average Joe is likely to suffer the same fate. But after applying tons of heat and lots of gentle prying, the team managed to breach the Pro 3’s primary defenses and get inside.

Replacing things like the solid state drive and the battery are indeed possible if you can get inside unscathed although the latter component will be a bit tricky considering it is “stuck like a mastodon in a tar pit.” The sticky adhesive means getting the battery out without warping it is virtually impossible.

Digging deeper, we learn that replacing the CPU is a no-go as it’s soldered onto the motherboard. Perhaps saving up for the Core i7 would be a wise idea if you plan to keep the Surface Pro 3 for years to come. The same can be said for the RAM as it’s also firmly attached to the board.

At the end of the day, the Surface Pro 3 received a repairability score of one out of 10 (10 being the easiest to repair) – or in other words, it secured the worst possible score just like the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 before it.

Microsoft’s latest earned negative marks for its fused glass panel and LCD, copious amounts of adhesive and the fact that simply opening the device leaves no room for mistakes: one slip-up and you’ll be replacing the screen.

Permalink to story.

Something tells me you don't buy tablets to upgrade them... and yes... the "Apple Model" works:
1) If you break it you buy a new one;
2) If you want you can purchase an warranty/damage coverage for $X per year
3) Profit!

Also... just buy a laptop. Cheaper, more powerful, repairable. If you must have a PC/Tablet with you wherever you go they make smart phones now. I hear they are super easy to move around and accept voice commands for typing and searching, plus come with internet access most places without tethering. /sarcasm

This is pointless. Ifixit people are dumb I feel. They want us to go to the stone ages where the tablets and smart fones are inch thick devices held together with screws so they can give a 10/10 score. Everyone wants sleek and slim device and this is the only way to design and manufacture products. An average user will not tear down their devices to fix it.

This is pointless. Ifixit people are dumb I feel. They want us to go to the stone ages where the tablets and smart fones are inch thick devices held together with screws so they can give a 10/10 score. Everyone wants sleek and slim device and this is the only way to design and manufacture products. An average user will not tear down their devices to fix it.
do you blame the weather man for reporting the weather?

What ifixit wants is for people to find more efficient ways of making sleek and slim devices with screws or other innovative systems instead of using the old system of screws or copious adhesive.

From what you just said you basically said if you broke a device you would instantly buy a new one.

Microsoft have basically just put down the hammer and said "If ifixit cant open it without breaking something then its gonna be impossible to repair and upgrade without breaking more things"

The further we move scaling down mobile devices, the more people should get used to them as being completely unrepairable. And anyone who is not happy about that should take the blue pill.

I bet if there were hefty penalties imposed on corporations who produced unrepairable devices, the screws and clips would magically appear!

What gets me is that the lies of Microsoft, Apple and the rest will probably have some sort of 'environmental' or 'ethical' statement/policy written into their company blurb to make them appear like caring corporate citizens. Just makes it a complete nonsense when devices are made to be thrown away. It's all about short term profit as ever!

The further we move scaling down mobile devices, the more people should get used to them as being completely unrepairable. And anyone who is not happy about that should take the blue pill.
Either that, or crush it up and snort it....:)

It's all very well ripping these things apart for our entertainment but this junk is not mean't to be pulled apart and upgraded. Once it's reached the end of it's useful life, trash it and start again.

It's all very well ripping these things apart for our entertainment but this junk is not mean't to be pulled apart and upgraded. Once it's reached the end of it's useful life, trash it and start again.

Great for the companies profit at the environments expense.

Are there any numbers on how many of these end up in landfills? I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I think a very high percentage do not end up in landfills, there are so many options for recycling electronic waste and in some cases you even get paid a small amount to do it.

Back