Survey shows half of all teens are uninterested in the metaverse

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: Facebook's metaverse vision might involve the slew of younger users who avoid its social media platform wandering around in virtual worlds, but many from Generation Z are pretty apathetic toward the concept, with half of the teens who participated in a recent survey saying they were unsure or uninterested in purchasing a VR device.

Financial firm Piper Sandler's biannual Gen Z research project (via Fast Company) surveyed 7,100 teens about multiple subjects, including "the metaverse." While 50% admitted to having little or no intention of buying a VR device to access the virtual space, 26% said they already own such a device, and 9% said they were interested in making a purchase.

Check out our feature, The Metaverse: What Is It, and Why Should You Care?

Of the 26% of participants who own a VR device, just 5% use it daily, and a massive 82% use theirs less than a few times per month. This is despite 68% of the teens identifying as gamers.

Another part of the survey asked about NFTs and the blockchain, areas set to be integral parts of the metaverse. While 87% had heard of crypto, just 11% had traded in them. When it comes to NFTs, 61% had heard of non-fungible tokens, and 8% of that group had bought them.

A different survey, from Morning Consult, found that 56% of millennials (born between 1980 and 1996) and 51% of Gen Z (born between 1997 and 2012) were interested in using the metaverse, but the former group's interest fell to around 50% and the latter's to less than half when it came to Meta's Horizon Worlds and Horizon Workrooms.

Elsewhere, TikTok is named the favorite social media app, beating Snapchat for the first time. The Chinese-owned app's ad revenue is predicted to hit $11 billion this year, more than Twitter and Snapchat combined.

Amazon is named teens' favorite e-commerce site, Nike the favorite clothing and footwear brand, and Chick-fil-A the favorite restaurant.

Permalink to story.

Well, despite the slant given to this article... the numbers show that people ARE interested in the metaverse... considering it's years away from even existing in any real fashion, that about half of people are interested is pretty impressive!

Consider 10-20 years from now when tech improves to the point where it actually becomes feasible... and an even younger generation - one that is completely immersed in tech - will be the target audience...

Looks like the metaverse will become a reality...

The more amazing thing is that nearly half have any interest in it. I love technology (I work in IT) but I am going to take a hard pass, especially with anything from Facebook. I’m getting to that point where I’m interested in winding down on the amount of tech I use and spend more time in the real world.

The more amazing thing is that nearly half have any interest in it. I love technology (I work in IT) but I am going to take a hard pass, especially with anything from Facebook. I’m getting to that point where I’m interested in winding down on the amount of tech I use and spend more time in the real world.
I'll take a hard pass on anything facebook related, if zuckerberg thinks its good then its bad.
You realize that the Metaverse is NOT Facebook.... just because Facebook renamed themselves "Meta" doesn't mean they own (or will own) the metaverse.

I strongly suggest you read the entire artlcle linked to this one...

Are teens really the focus of VR though? I'm 35 and use my quest everyday and its a great piece of tech, it even impressed my parents who never cared for videogames at all, to them the quest and VR in general are what they always thought games should be.

I know gaming is a hobby but its not a cheap one, you kinda need money these days to go all in on gaming and quest2 is a gateway device, to really see what's possible you need a gaming pc and a good one, well, isnt cheap.

Are teens really the focus of VR though? I'm 35 and use my quest everyday and its a great piece of tech, it even impressed my parents who never cared for videogames at all, to them the quest and VR in general are what they always thought games should be.

I know gaming is a hobby but its not a cheap one, you kinda need money these days to go all in on gaming and quest2 is a gateway device, to really see what's possible you need a gaming pc and a good one, well, isnt cheap.

It's a cheaper hobby than cars.

30-year computer engineer here. I am also a gamer and so is my 18-year-old son. I also play with his friends sometimes and you know what? None of them ever discuss the Metaverse. Who is this for? Who is the key demographic?

Back