Survey suggests iPhone SE and Pixel 6 sales are lagging

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Another report has arrived suggesting that the new iPhone SE isn't selling anywhere near as well as Apple expected. But it's not just Cupertino experiencing disappointing sales; Google's Pixel 6 line is also struggling to find buyers, leading to the company offering large incentives to salespeople who sell its handsets.

Research firm Wave7 (via PCMag) conducted a survey of salespeople at US carrier stores to get an idea of the smartphone market today. According to the results, 56% of reps said that iPhone SE 3 demand is weaker this year than it was for the previous iPhone SE, and just 8% said demand is stronger.

The survey backs up a report from March that claimed Apple had asked its suppliers to cut production of the iPhone SE 2022 for the quarter by as much as two to three million units, a reduction of around 20%, due to low demand.

Renowned Apple analyst Ming-Cho Kuo backed up the report, tweeting that demand is lower than expected. He also cut his iPhone SE shipment estimation for 2022 from 25 million - 30 million to 15 million - 30 million.

While it appears few people crave smaller phones these days, another problem could just be that not many consumers know about the iPhone SE. "Wave7 Research is unaware of any TV, radio, outdoor or print advertising for the device," wrote the company. A Verizon rep backed this up, telling the firm that not many people know it came out.

There are a couple of positives in the report for Apple: the iPhone SE is apparently very popular as a prepaid device, and it looks set to boost Apple sales in India, where the company has been shifting production to take advantage of tariff discounts while lessening its reliance on China.

Elsewhere, the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro handsets are also said to be igniting little interest outside of diehard Pixel fans. Google is reportedly using "spiffs" or commissions for salespeople who manage to move its phones. This is something Samsung also does, but Google has pushed the incentives up "very high" to increase sales. One carrier rep told Wave7 that he sold the new Pixels to people who wanted to buy the new Galaxy S22 models when Samsung's latest phones were sold out.

One thing that could be putting people off the Google Pixel 6 line is the numerous reports of bugs the phones experience. The most recent one is an issue in which calls are automatically diverted to voicemail without notifying users.

Permalink to story.

SE design was outdated but now is like really, really outdated. Pixel line was never hot cause an average person doesn't know what a Google Pixel is. It's ironic that Google doesn't know how to advertise.

SE design was outdated but now is like really, really outdated.
I'm not sure about that. Simplicity, I think, is what sells the SE. Simplicity in terms of reuse of already existing components is what keeps the price down, which makes the SE appealing to its target market. It's bad enough that Apple already bumped the price up on the new SE.

I've had my Pixel 6 Pro since mid January. Only bug I had was a tad slow fingerprint sensor, but that was fixed with an update. No other issues.

I've had my Pixel 6 Pro since mid January. Only bug I had was a tad slow fingerprint sensor, but that was fixed with an update. No other issues.
Pixel is the only line that tries to match iPhone when it comes to support and bug fixing.

iPhone gets 5+ years of support. Unheard of in the Android market.

Most android phones barely gets 1 year of support, especially low-end crap - They run like crap on day 1 and gets obsolete in 1-2 years. Buying cheap phones will end up costing you more in the long run and you will have a bad experience the entire time.

Pixel is the only line that tries to match iPhone when it comes to support and bug fixing.

iPhone gets 5+ years of support. Unheard of in the Android market.

Most android phones barely gets 1 year of support, especially low-end crap - They run like crap on day 1 and gets obsolete in 1-2 years. Buying cheap phones will end up costing you more in the long run and you will have a bad experience the entire time.

I prefer Android phones. The apple ecosystem is pretty darn hard to beat, if you have a lot of apple products. What you do/change on one devices, flows to the others.
My problem with the apple phone, and apple in general, is I mostly know what I am doing. I want my phone, computer etc, setup & configured the way I WANT. I don't care for the lock down nature of most apple devices.
Again, I have no problem with Apple, I just don't like the somewhat lock down nature of their products. For most, it's a good idea because it keeps them from messing up their device. But, I'm in my 60's and have been tinkering with electronics since the my early teenage years, in the ending era of vaccum tubes.

I prefer Android phones. The apple ecosystem is pretty darn hard to beat, if you have a lot of apple products. What you do/change on one devices, flows to the others.
My problem with the apple phone, and apple in general, is I mostly know what I am doing. I want my phone, computer etc, setup & configured the way I WANT. I don't care for the lock down nature of most apple devices.
Again, I have no problem with Apple, I just don't like the somewhat lock down nature of their products. For most, it's a good idea because it keeps them from messing up their device. But, I'm in my 60's and have been tinkering with electronics since the my early teenage years, in the ending era of vaccum tubes.
I love tinkering, on PCs and TV/Audio.

I don't care about phones, AT ALL, they just need to work, run well and have optimized OS/Apps. This is iPhone only, for me. I have been on several Androids and there's always some bugs or issues that never gets fixed. On iPhone, because of the huge usersbase, bugs are always noticed and fixed fast; Very few models/configs and tons of users, means Apps are 100% optimized in most cases.

Back