Suspect in the New York terror attack was an Uber driver

midian182

Staff member

Uber has confirmed that Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, the 29-year-old suspected of driving a Home Depot rental truck into pedestrians and cyclists in New York yesterday, had been working for the ride-hailing company.

Eight people were killed during the attack in Manhattan, including five Argentinians celebrating the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation. At least 11 people are injured.

"We are horrified by this senseless act of violence. Our hearts are with the victims and their families," an Uber spokesperson said in a statement.

Saipov recorded more than 1400 trips during the six months he spent driving for the company in New Jersey. Uber said it is now aggressively and quickly reviewing his history with the firm but has so far not found any safety reports that raise concerns.

Uber has offered its assistance to the FBI and will be helping the agency and law enforcement officials with the investigation. Saipov has now been banned from the company’s app.

The incident may once again call into question the effectiveness of Uber’s background checks, which Saipov passed. The company looks into potential drivers’ histories for criminal records and traffic violations. According to CBS correspondent Jeff Pegues, however, Saipov doesn't have an extensive criminal background, and there are only four traffic tickets in his past.

Last year, Uber driver Jason B. Dalton was taken into custody for allegedly killing six people in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He reportedly continued giving rides during the alleged shooting spree. One passenger even asked him if he was the shooter.

Permalink to story.

Out of all of this comes the verification that the government, the police, the intelligence agencies, etc. cannot protect us from the day to day incidents or those where communications of the planned event don't use current technology for communications. I still recall the day that the senior George Bush, acting as director of the CIA made the fatal decision to take our intelligence gathering to satellite and dismissed hundreds of agents we had working in other countries. Since that time we have lost the edge. It is doubtful that had ANYTHING to do with yesterdays attack, but it just reiterates the obvious that was well stated by JFK about 6 months before his assassination; "If they really want to get you, they will get you" .......

Damn man! This is the first I hear about this incident. It's absolute lunacy. I sure hope removing that maniac's name from the app isn't going to be the only punishment he'll receive. I would hope for something slightly more severe, like a public hang, drawn and quartering for instance.

I just saw the POV video of the school bus that was rammed by the terrorist. Damn! I cringe in horror when kids are involved.

That coward lunatic blended perfectly by being an uber driver. Nowadays, a wolf can disguise as a sheep.

The incident may once again call into question the effectiveness of Uber’s background checks, which Saipov passed. The company looks into potential drivers’ histories for criminal records and traffic violations. According to CBS correspondent Jeff Pegues, however, Saipov doesn't have an extensive criminal background, and there are only four traffic tickets in his past.

Come on, man. Sleepers--which is what ISIS uses--are almost always going to pass background checks. That's why they use them instead of people with mile-long rap sheets.

It's absurd that anyone can have such easy access to a vehicle. Where are the background checks?

The problem isn't vehicles. It's high-capacity gas tanks. It's a lot harder to kill people with trucks if you have to fill up in between hits. This would have given police more time to respond.
Good god, Man! Is this another of your attempts at sarcasm? Let's see, if Home Depot rented trucks according to your implied standard, the truck would have enough gas for less than 1/2 hour driving time?

Of course, we all know this is an attempt to somehow justify high-capacity ammo magazines which, if this guy had had one of these and a gun that used it, would have resulted in a far higher death count. But then again, that would further justify your anti-immigrant stance. I think that profile has rotted your avatar.

Almost anything can be turned into a weapon, but some weapons are far easier to use. Why should we put easy to use weapons into the market place? Oh, so the Buck Rodgers types can blast away with their high-capacity magazines at terrorist shooters 32-stories above them; I get it! Makes perfect sense to me!

Out of all of this comes the verification that the government, the police, the intelligence agencies, etc. cannot protect us from the day to day incidents or those where communications of the planned event don't use current technology for communications. I still recall the day that the senior George Bush, acting as director of the CIA made the fatal decision to take our intelligence gathering to satellite and dismissed hundreds of agents we had working in other countries. Since that time we have lost the edge. It is doubtful that had ANYTHING to do with yesterdays attack, but it just reiterates the obvious that was well stated by JFK about 6 months before his assassination; "If they really want to get you, they will get you" .......
Right there with you. Unfortunately, some still don't get it, and they probably never will.

He is also a Muslim. Which do you think had bearing on the attack, Rob?

The man was clearly inspired by tiki torch-wielding white nationalists the alt-right, which is notorious for encouraging its followers to commit random acts of violence against infidels globalists.

I bet that fact hasn't been mentioned ONCE outside of Fox News. Meanwhile if somebody complains about Obama's program that FORCES communities to accept unvetted Muslim immigrants from terror nations that person is labeled "extremist", "alt-right" or, if their white, a racist as well. Even if the media did its job and considered the religious angle, the usual suspects would be foaming at the mouth to defend the killer.

Extreme vigilance is our best chance at stopping these type of attacks. You can ban everything under the sun, evil people will still find a way to kill.

I bet that fact hasn't been mentioned ONCE outside of Fox News. Meanwhile if somebody complains about Obama's program that FORCES communities to accept unvetted Muslim immigrants from terror nations that person is labeled "extremist", "alt-right" or, if their white, a racist as well. Even if the media did its job and considered the religious angle, the usual suspects would be foaming at the mouth to defend the killer.

What does it say about how effective that tactic is? It doesn't work very well, otherwise Hillary should have won by a landslide. Laugh at them. They hate that.

Sad thing is this clown from Uzbekistan was allowed into the country in 2010 by some crazy thing invented by our political "leaders" called the Diversity Visa Lottery. I guess the Uzbek won the lottery. The victims did not.

Sad thing is this clown from Uzbekistan was allowed into the country in 2010 by some crazy thing invented by our political "leaders" called the Diversity Visa Lottery. I guess the Uzbek won the lottery. The victims did not.

Someone's gotta pay the bill.

It's absurd that anyone can have such easy access to a vehicle. Where are the background checks?

The problem isn't vehicles. It's high-capacity gas tanks. It's a lot harder to kill people with trucks if you have to fill up in between hits. This would have given police more time to respond.
Good god, Man! Is this another of your attempts at sarcasm? Let's see, if Home Depot rented trucks according to your implied standard, the truck would have enough gas for less than 1/2 hour driving time?

Of course, we all know this is an attempt to somehow justify high-capacity ammo magazines which, if this guy had had one of these and a gun that used it, would have resulted in a far higher death count. But then again, that would further justify your anti-immigrant stance. I think that profile has rotted your avatar.

Almost anything can be turned into a weapon, but some weapons are far easier to use. Why should we put easy to use weapons into the market place? Oh, so the Buck Rodgers types can blast away with their high-capacity magazines at terrorist shooters 32-stories above them; I get it! Makes perfect sense to me!

Running by that logic, handguns themselves should be banned before any high capacity magazine, due to them committing the vast majority of all gun related violence in the US.

Your logic doesn't add up, and the argument of "making it harder to acquire" holds just as much water. Research is a powerful thing, the numbers don't lie. Politicians do.

Back