Suspect RAM/Mobo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have just built a pc for someone to the following spec:- ASUS P6T deluxe; i7 920 processor; 12GB Corsair memory (6x2GB sticks) Radeon 4890 in crossfire; Windows 7 Ultimate, a nice spec. The problem I am having is that the system only recognises 8GB of memory, if I reseat the memory it will be recognised some of the time but often when I reboot it loses 4 GB of memory. The memory was a 12GB kit designed for use with an i7 system. Incidently, when I run the windows experience index the system crashes and reboots, the rest of the time it runs OK.
Anyone any suggestions of the problem here.

Obviously the motherboard you chose does not support anything more than 8gb of RAM. I would suggest an upgrade on the motherboard if you want the full 12gb. Just use 6gb for now and see how well it runs then. If it works O.K. with the 1 6gb stick, then it was obviously the problem I pointed out above...

Hope this works for you.
~Angel

Except that the motherboard is supposed to be able to support 24GB of RAM. Perhaps a BIOS update might help.

Already running the latest BIOS, strangely this morning all 12 Gb of memory is being recognised. Checking system performance with Windows Experience index still causes the system to crash, this time at Direct 3 D 10 assessment.

Check the BIOS for the RAM voltage setting to make sure it matches the RAM standard.

I finally decided to fit some Crucial memory and everything is now working OK. I am beginning to wonder if AM3 boards and DDR3 memory are not as tolerant of each other as AM2 and DDR2 memory, only my initial thoughts though, they may change over the months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back