Svchost.exe application error

Hello,

I got the svchost.exe error (The instruction at 0x77c47e9f referenced memory at 0x000e01c8. The memory could not be read. I checked the net, there are many messages where this error is discussed, however I could not use any of the advices since my computer seems to be damaged beyond what is recommended in the respective messages. Internet is not working (I`m writing now from a different computer), I can not turn Automatic Updates off, even the anti-virus MS Security essentials is turnd off and I can not turn it on.

I read that this problem may be due to an Automatic Update that was interrupted by an accidental reboot. It may have happened, for some unknown reason the computer re-booted and that`s when I started having problemes. Another cause of htis issue as I understood may be related to the installation of a new printer. I bought and installed an HP printer 3-4 weeks ago. Everytjing seemed working although a bit slow. Now I initiated the uninstallation of the printer application and after 2 hours the uninstallation is not finished yet.

I`m using Windows XP SP3.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

You can also try doing a System Restore to an earlier date.

Also, just fyi.. an additional note: Tho as you noted, there are many varied and different things that may cause svchost problems. Malware is also a possible reason which i also mention since you said Windows update and Antivirus aren't working now either

As suggested by Tmagic650 I did an XP repair. This helped to get rid of the svchost error, but now I can not:
- turn on the firewall. The msg I get is: Windows firewall setting can not be dsplayed b/c the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows firewall/Internat connection Sharing (ICS) service? Since this is something I did not expect I didn't wanted to answer yes. Should I?
-I had Microsoft Security Essentials. It is now in red and says At Risk. I tried to Turn it on. The msg I got is that MS Sec Essentials couldn't turn real time protection... Error code oX800705b4.
- following the repair i lost my internet connection setup. I tried to set up a new one. Does not work.

It maybe that these problems (or some of them) are related to the curent out of date Windows XP config. But can not get Windows XP updated since I can not connect on the Internet, it's a vicious circle.

Any advice? thank you.

You might not want to hear this, you may be at your wits end by now, but to be honest, if I were you, I would seriously think about killing off you hard drive and starting again from scratch! Kill off the drive by performing a total drive format, normally this option is found at the beginning of a Windows install. Then just follow the directions as they come on the screen, and depending on your systems speed, you should be within 40 minutes to one hour. After you verify a "good installation" then go about re-installing all your required software.

I only say this because I feel you've been jerked around by your Operating System enough, it's time for you to ((take charge)) of things and not let your computer run a muck on you!

"my 2 cents"

If you can, and have important things backed up, do a fresh install of XP... You still might have hardware issues, but attempting a fresh OS install might show these issues clearer. Of course, the fresh install might just work flawlessly... we hope ;)

Have you tried getting an internet connection if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking??

Symptoms you describe are still consistent with a malware infection - tho also could be corrupt non-Microsoft software. In any case, if you choose a full reinstall would certainly clear the problem as suggested (but i'd still be cautious to scan those backed files/folders for malware)

As to your question about turning on the service for firewall? Should I? Yes you can. But since your a/v protection still won't turn ON still leaves me suspicious of underlying malware, is just my thought

/* edit */
btw.. when you boot into Safe Mode, also try resetting IE settings. malware sometimes changes them which causes connection loss (just google reset IE)

if you choose a full reinstall would certainly clear the problem as suggested (but i'd still be cautious to scan those backed files/folders for malware)

I think this might be the most important fact stated inside this topic area! I agree, scan those back up files very well, before trying to put anything from those files on a new Windows install. Who know, LookinAround could just be onto something here! For me it would pointless the go through all that work, just to come to find out all the problems started all over again, due to a bad file!

Back