Swiss railway operator says Apple stole their clock design

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple may soon find themselves in yet another courtroom battle if they aren’t able to resolve a dispute regarding their use of a new feature in iOS 6. Swiss railway operator SBB says Apple stole the look of their iconic station clocks designed by Hans Hilfiker for use in the updated operating system on the iPad.

The clockface is the same one used by watchmaker Mondaine but the key difference is they have a license to use the design. A spokesperson for SBB told the Associated Press they are proud that Cupertino opted to use their 68-year-old design but they hadn’t asked for permission to do so. The company plans to reach out to Apple in an effort to come to an agreement for compensation before taking any legal action.

apple swiss swiss clock maker plagiariging

When compared side-by-side, there’s no denying the two clockfaces are virtually identical. The Verge points out this isn’t the first time that Apple has borrowed heavily from other designs. Their iOS Calculator and Podcasts app are clearly influenced by products from Braun, namely the 1977 Braun ET44 and ET66 calculators and the Braun T 60 reel-to-reel tape recorder, respectively. And yes, we’re talking about the same Braun that produces shaving products today.

The problem lies in the fact that the clockface design in question is still being monetized by the Swiss railway company. If we had to guess, Apple will likely reach a licensing agreement to avoid a lawsuit and negative press that would come along with it.

Permalink to story.

IN YOUR FACE APPLE!!

this is what copying is !! they fight for a rectangle patten but carbon copy other ppl!

btw I love the Braun article
he iPhone?s calculator app is a clear tribute to the 1977 Braun ET44

this is how you justify copying you just need to say its a tribute.. Samsung should use this for the Galaxy Tab lawsuit!! LOL

Actually they will loose, why? Well this is Swiss Clock Type, there are hundreds upon hundreds of the same design Clocks. This clock design has been practiced many times over the century.

That said Apples also sues for BS reasons so I hope that the Rail Company wins. Taste ya' own medicine Fapple.

If the company were in a trolling mood, they would sue apple to the end, but who doesn't want easy money?

Apple most likely will pay the licensing fee.

I would go for xx USD per unit sold until now

See its okay for Apple to use inspiration from everyday items, and not get permission. But try to imitate an ******* product you get sued in to oblivion...

Double standards are for the birds. You SUCK, Apple. More money than God, and you have to get on Samsung about rounded corners? Ridiculous. Then you pull this crap!

I just bought my LAST Apple product!

So much for Apple's unparalleled creativity. If all of their copying is this clear-cut, I'm sure we'll be seeing a major influx of patent lawsuits against Apple coming up. And I think I speak for everyone when I say not a tear will be shed if Apple lost every one of them.

This is real ****...Clocks are damn identical in looks..

So are phone , rectangles, TV's, computers, ect but when you piss ppl off trying to gain cotrol of the shape of a phone THAT ALL LOOK THE SAME FOR YEARS. they set the path for this kind of lawsuit they cant expect nobody will follow on the same path

Apple innovate once again. Forget copying a copyright Swiss design, they've made the innovation of making a clock an extra app. MS will no doubt try to do this by removing the clock in the taskbar and forcing us to download a clock widget, and then get sued for copying Apple.

What a wonderful world.

I just saw the US patent office has surrended - they're going online and asking the public to do their job for them re prior art. What a joke they are.

The whole system is fcuked.

Where are the lawyers from Braun? They need to sue, too. Clearly, Apple routinely steals all kinds of others' function-suggested designs. Terrible! Unconscionable! And so forth.

ha ha ha They're the ones who opened the Pandora's box of lawsuits over obvious functional designs. What, they thought other companies wouldn't join the party they started themselves?

Guest above, the main point here has nothing to do with the clock itself per say. The main issue is Apple claims that they have invented certain technologies which they have never even invented in the first place, and everyone else copied them after supposedly.

What is Apple really? A Recipe Company:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Cany anyone say "Apple Karma". No matter how much I may or may not like apple products, I feel that Apple deserves this and other lawsuits coming their way. They've reached a new low when they started so many frivolous lawsuits, especially against tiny companies that are trying to grow.

Lol this is just comical.

Well, if apple is gonna make a big deal out this and that, I suppose its only fair for the other companies to do the same.

This is the fact of apple: they even can't design their own clock.. what a laughstock

Back