Synology DS2413+ NAS Review: For when you're serious about storage

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/649-synology-diskstation-ds2413-nas/]https://www.techspot.com/review/649-synology-diskstation-ds2413-nas/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Looks tasty. :) I'd love something that would hold all of the things that I'd ever see in my life on my PC.

You'd be surprised how quickly you could use up this amount of storage if you had it to play with.

Nice stuff for small business (<20). Bigger business will probably have other requirements like not having a shutdown-button in the web interface ;-)

Nice stuff for small business (<20). Bigger business will probably have other requirements like not having a shutdown-button in the web interface ;-)

Why is that an issue? You can set user privileges.

I just bought the DS213+, a very impressive two bay NAS with a dual core CPU. The stuff you can do with Synology boxes is very impressive.

Just built a 4-bay NAS (Mediasonic Raid Box and 4x Seagate 3TB). 8.5TB single drive to Windows encrypted with Truecrypt on Raid 5 for around $700. Bought the box and drives through Amazon. Footprint is super small and quality is decent (not great). Been running since the 1st of the year on a machine I keep on all the time anyway. Probably not business class by a long shot, but can't beat the price.

You'd be surprised how quickly you could use up this amount of storage if you had it to play with.

I know, only a single movie / 3d project that I do now can take up anywhere from 1GB to 80GB. So... you're right. ;)

Sorry if I missed that information but, have u guys tested the throughput using 2 LAN cables and the Link Aggregation feature?

Some 15 years ago I came across an Asus motherboard that supported 8 IDE drives. It sold for perhaps 10% premium over the normal board that supported 4 drives. I have a "server" cabinet that can support 10 drives with front access. "Hot Swap" capability is essentially a feature of the OS which is easily configured in Linux as also the NAS feature. One need only buy the right kind of caddy for mechanical support. So why spend $1800 on a rig that can be done for under $ 500 to 600 ?

You're talking about the difference between hardware and software RAID... in a totally different league. Plus, with that cabinet that houses all those drives you'll need a computer behind it with sufficient CPU to manage the overhead from the array. Heck, a decent 8 drive hardware RAID card will cost you at least $400 alone with 12 drive support starting around $700.

Back