System acting weird

Alpha Gamer

So, yesterday I left my pc on and went to bed . When I woke up today, it was exactly like I left it, but my firefox settings were completely messed up. I decided to boot and instead of it taking me to windows login screen, it went to dual boot menu. Since I only have windows 7, it was the only option. But still, weird as hell. I decided to fire up Path of Exile (which was installed last night) and the loading took a lot longer than expected. I tested some other games and the loadings were all longer than usual. The only scientific evidence I have that something's wrong here is the results of catzila benchmark, which I ran about 7 times last week and got very consistent scores between 13580 and 14029 and today's scores were both around 12800. This benchmark also show loading times and the results I got today were very different from last week's, today's were like 3x longer, if I remember well.

Is there any system check tool I could use to diagnose my system? Specially the hard drive?

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 40 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155)
Graphics
E2250 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29 SCSI CdRom Device
UPIXUVE 2FOHQZO1 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Are you configured to Autoupdate from Windows? Likely an update was finalized after the reboot.

Difficult to image what is going on. So you left your PC on all night, connected to the internet, no doubt, and find in the morning that things are not well at all. The most obvious question is - do you have internet protection? If not, or it is out of date, then you possibly picked up an infection by leaving the PC connected. Full tests and more tests are now necessary. In particular that something seems to have interfered with your boot process is very concerning.

Second thing is certain software updates may have done their own thing during the night, with unfortunate effects on performance. I don't see that as very likely.

Third thing is due to hours of heat-soaking, some hardware fault has developed. Run simple hardware tests.

I suggest you look at the event log in detail, covering that night period. See what happened, and if any faults are reported.

If you find no malware, no problems in the event logs, no hardware faults, then roll back (recover/system restore) your system to the day before the night you are talking about.

Difficult to image what is going on. So you left your PC on all night, connected to the internet, no doubt, and find in the morning that things are not well at all. The most obvious question is - do you have internet protection? If not, or it is out of date, then you possibly picked up an infection by leaving the PC connected. Full tests and more tests are now necessary. In particular that something seems to have interfered with your boot process is very concerning.

Second thing is certain software updates may have done their own thing during the night, with unfortunate effects on performance. I don't see that as very likely.

Third thing is due to hours of heat-soaking, some hardware fault has developed. Run simple hardware tests.

I suggest you look at the event log in detail, covering that night period. See what happened, and if any faults are reported.

If you find no malware, no problems in the event logs, no hardware faults, then roll back (recover/system restore) your system to the day before the night you are talking about.
Ok, time to regret my recklessness and cry: I have no internet protection other than windows firewall and I don't even have recover/system restore enabled... I'm quite sure no software updates took place during the night. The only protection thing I had on during the night was peerblock (don't know if it's much help). My boot process is back to normal already.
But regarding the tests, what softwares would you suggest?

Run system restore, see if the issue persist. It's a pain yes, but it can tell you if it was caused by some random program installs.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 40 °C
977GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 32 °C

I suggest you take a look at those 2 data you provided.
check the temps again and check the drive for errors.

also did you recently install the latest nvidia DisplayDriver 314.07 or are you still on nvidia DisplayDriver 310.90?
you are on nvidia crossfire so take a look at driver issues concerning multiple graphics setup.

Run system restore, see if the issue persist. It's a pain yes, but it can tell you if it was caused by some random program installs.
Unfortunately, I have no restore points.
I suggest you take a look at those 2 data you provided.
check the temps again and check the drive for errors.

also did you recently install the latest nvidia DisplayDriver 314.07 or are you still on nvidia DisplayDriver 310.90?
you are on nvidia crossfire so take a look at driver issues concerning multiple graphics setup.
Temps are the same, no change at all.
Right now, I'm on 314.07. But at moment of the issue, I had 310.90.

I uninstalled Path of Exile and Unigine Heaven, both were installed the night before the issue. Looks like my loading times are back to normal. Even Catzila shows results similar to what I had before those two softwares.

Thanks to you all for the attention.

Ok, time to regret my recklessness and cry: I have no internet protection other than windows firewall and I don't even have recover/system restore enabled., what softwares would you suggest?
"what softwares would you suggest"?
These
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/568-spywareblaster.html

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/223-avast-home-edition.html

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/2695-superantispyware.html

I have those on my W7 & no problems. Good luck :)

If you installed Avast with AVG on there, that is not good.
Personally I'd remove AVG & stay with Avast but thats me.
I've seen quite a few friends pc's infected & AVG didn't catch it.

If you installed Avast with AVG on there, that is not good.
Personally I'd remove AVG & stay with Avast but thats me.
I've seen quite a few friends pc's infected & AVG didn't catch it.
I didn't install Avast. I just ran my every day AVG. I had Avast until an year or so ago. Then it started conflicting with Batman Arkham Asylum and I had to remove it. Funny thing is: when I installed AVG, it found some infections Avast didn't.

Thanks, I ran windows test and the generic test in seatools. Neither of them found anything wrong.
That's good. From what you say, it seems very likely that the fault was down to your video drivers and/or conflicts in one or both of the games you loaded just beforehand.

What you probably now see is
(a) you want one internet anti-trouble (Avast is good, very configurable and low overhead)
(b) you need to switch on system restore. It is possible to control the space occupied to be very low, so you only have one or two roll-back points at any one time.
(c) you should check for video driver updates fairly often until it settles down.
(d) you can be sure your HDD is fine, and can now thoroughly test it any time you want.

Over and out.....

Back