System recovered from serious error

Mark Fuller

I have a hp d4100 desktop with wxp sp3, intel pentium d 3.2 ghz, and 3.5 gb ram. It automatically restarts itself after a while when it is idle(it never reboots when I am using any application) and when it boots back up it gives an error message that says "The system has recovered from a serious error". When I click on send error report, it says that error reporting recieved a corrupt report and gives me some options, one of which to do is run a system restore, the other being to go to control panel>add/remove programs and check the updates for the software that is installed and see if any of the software programs updated and then run a diagnostics if the software came with one. I did recieve a Nero update recently but it is not listed in add/remove programs. I then ran system restore a couple of times in safe mode but it still has no effect. Does anyone have any ideas?

Does this only happen when the computer is idle for a bit? Could be that it is crashing as soon as it goes to sleep. To check what the sleep timer is go to Control Panel then find and select Power Options, edit the power options and see what the time is set to before it goes to sleep.

You can manually test also by going to Start, then go to shut down and select Sleep. If the computer restarts then it's having trouble going into sleep mode, and many things can cause this issue. Please post back with the results.

Back