System32\drivers\pci.sys missing or corrupt

TorturedChaos

Accountants computer screwed up last night. Guess the power surged or went out for a minute. When she started up her computer this morning it was saying
Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrutp:
system32\drivers\pci.sys

Searched on google, was told to go into the recover console and type:
Code:
expand D:\i386\pci.sy_ c:\Windows\System32\drivers /y
Did that. Got back
Code:
pci.sys
1 file(s) expanded.

Reboot the computer and get the same error msg......

So I tried to a chkdsk thinking something might be up with the hdd. Doesn't find any errors. I pulled all the PCI cards, re-did the expand thing and still get the same result.

Any other suggestions? I really don't want to have to do a complete reformat. I HATE reinstalling Quick Books.

EDIT/UPDATE:

I read somewhere on a forum online that someone had an issue with the RAM causing this issue so I ran memtest all last night w/o any errors. (Made it through like 12 passes)

I tried booting in Ubuntu live CD and replacing the pci.sys file manually with one from another computer and still the same issue. So I'm guess that is not really something wrong with the pci.sys file but something else is wrong in there. Just have to idea what.... :(

Some files on the hard drive are simply corrupt. If you can run a disk check do it, if not you may have to reformat fresh

Invest in a good UPS from APC. Every business needs one. I use an APC 1000 watt Uninterruptable Power Supply. They have surge protection built in. If you are using cheaper surge protection, be sure to replace it ASAP. Just one surge or power loss can burn out surge protection without any warning or outward signs

Back