System76's new AMD-powered Pangolin laptop is here

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: The first Ryzen-powered Pangolin laptop from System76 sold out in just a few days, and now it's back with updated AMD Ryzen 5000U parts that offer much-improved performance in multithreaded workloads. Pair this with the company's Launch mechanical keyboard and an external display, and you have a nifty Linux machine.

Back in March, popular Linux hardware vendor System76 promised to equip its AMD-powered Pangolin laptop with updated internals. It's finally available for fans who have been clamoring for a proper lightweight Linux machine, especially now that there's much better Linux kernel support for Ryzen CPUs.

The company initially launched the device with last-generation Ryzen CPUs, meaning you had a choice between the Ryzen 5 4500U and the Ryzen 7 4700U. You can now pick between the Ryzen 5 5500U and the Ryzen 7 5700U, which are still Zen 2 parts but come with better boost clocks for both the CPU and the integrated Vega 8 GPU.

Despite looking like merely overclocked versions of their predecessors, the new processors also come with an improved memory controller and support for hyperthreading. Reviewers also found the Ryzen 4000-powered Acer Swift 3 equipped with a similarly sized battery as the new Pangolin laptop offered better battery life than Intel-based competitors under a Linux environment, and the same can be expected from AMD's Ryzen 5000 Lucienne parts.

The CPU upgrade takes the Pangolin's starting price from $850 to $1,199 while offering the same 8 gigabytes of dual-channel DDR4 RAM, 240-gigabyte NVMe SSD, and 15.6-inch 1080p display with a matte finish. You can upgrade to 64 gigabytes of RAM and a 2-terabyte SSD, which will bring the total price to $2,446. And just like the Framework laptop, you can easily upgrade these parts and replace the battery yourself.

Permalink to story.

Upgrade from 5500u to 5700u costs 200$. 8GB->16GB costs 90$.
I can very well get a Thinkpad E14/15 or HP Pavilion with the same specs for less than half the price and install linux myself.

What an absolute rip-off!

What an absolute rip-off!
System76's marketing could use some work. The point of buying a System76 computer is taking open source a step further than just your operating system. Their computers also use open source firmware. And while you could accomplish this on your own, System76 is more of the Apple of Linux computers. They make it simpler for the end user and charge a premium for their product.

While I agree they're overpriced, Apple products are also overpriced. And I buy neither, but I understand their appeal.

https://blog.system76.com/post/623810010985742337/open-up-benefits-of-open-source-firmware

Back