Task bar not working and malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terryg

First the background is gone and now says "warning dangerous spyware, many viruses were found on your computer such as:... please check up the computer with a special software". when i try to change the background i don't even get the option to change it. second there's a thing on my toolbar that when i click it, it offers me to download antivirus xp pro and when i browse the internet there's a sentence at each website saying that i have virus's and need to clean them which when i click it, it offers the same thing. and on top of all that my task manager doesn't work it is greyed out and unable to select it

i tried just removing the virus with the software they had (cyber defender) but it finds them removes them then they come right back. i tried to install malwarebytes but i cant even get it installed it never opens which can be a memory problem the machine only has 1/2 Gb or memory, i have new memory for it but not sure if i should install it before i remove try to remove the virus.

i have the 8 steps and will try them tonight and then post the logs to be checked out

First the background is gone and now says "warning dangerous spyware, many viruses were found on your computer such as:... please check up the computer with a special software". when i try to change the background i don't even get the option to change it. second there's a thing on my toolbar that when i click it, it offers me to download antivirus xp pro and when i browse the internet there's a sentence at each website saying that i have virus's and need to clean them which when i click it, it offers the same thing. and on top of all that my task manager doesn't work it is greyed out and unable to select it

i tried just removing the virus with the software they had (cyber defender) but it finds them removes them then they come right back. i tried to install malwarebytes but i cant even get it installed it never opens which can be a memory problem the machine only has 1/2 Gb or memory, i have new memory for it but not sure if i should install it before i remove try to remove the virus.

i have the 8 steps and will try them tonight and then post the logs to be checked out

You definitely have virus/ malware infecting your system, the warnings you received are most likely malware in itself. Make sure you do the 8-steps, and make sure you use the programs in it. If you do secure browsing (online banking, etc.) you may have to wipe your system.

i do not believe they do online banking on the machine hes not very literate with pc's but will check.

should i install the memory since i was having so much trouble installing malwarebytes with out it

I don't know what computer or operating system you are using so I can't make any suggestions to the memory (I don't even know how much you currently have). All I can guarantee (with the info you provided is that you have a virus ( a few ).

ok i was unable to get through the 8 steps yesterday, but i do have a problem trying to do it. i can no longer get into Safe mode.

ok i was unable to get through the 8 steps yesterday, but i do have a problem trying to do it. i can no longer get into Safe mode.

Are you able to go in normal mode? What steps have you done already, if you post the logs you have so far, somebody can look at them.

i did some cleans and removals and i also corrected the task manager step and added the ram. i have to go back and finish. i still cant install malwarebytes but im wainting on them did not have enough time to get online and get the info i needed from this site since i could not open my file on the flash drive.....

well it is no longer worth it, i am going to have to rebuild it. anyone have instructions on wiping it out the reinstallation is the easy part

I don't recall anywhere in this thread you mentioning what kind of PC you're working on. If you have the orginal restore disks which are supplied with the PC - bonus. If not, make sure you take note of all hardware specifications so you know which drivers you need for which devices. Once you have all the info, stick the CD in, make sure you boot from the CD, and do a 'full format' it will take longer, but it's worth the wait. ;)

On second thought, what have you done so far with virus/malware scanning? Which program did you use for virus scanning, and have you done 'complete scans' and not 'smart scans' ? Have you run HiJackThis ?

ok its an old gateway a3420 i think. no restore disks that i know of we are going to look tomorrow but im not counting on it. i do have a new cd for xp from my office i can use for the reinstall.

with the 8 steps i only got to the cleaner step and the anti virus was cyberdefender (i dont trust it) but we were going to install norton 360. i am unale to install anything as soon as i open a window i get a couple errors and it reboots, i also cant boot into safe mode at all...

oh they were complete scans as far as i know each time they ran it always found something and i would delete them i would keep running the scans until it found nothing then try to do an install and nothing would happen

with the 8 steps i only got to the cleaner step and the anti virus was cyberdefender (i dont trust it) but we were going to install norton 360.

This is your first problem right here :rolleyes:( I'm only 'in training' for virus/malware removal as far as this forum goes ) but I can't tell you how many times I cleaned systems using Avast and how much garbage it leaves that Norton leaves behind.:mad: I'm in the middle of uninstalling Norton 360 on another system right now for the same reason.
DON'T DO IT!!!
If you plan on installing Norton 360, you're wasting your time. No Cyberdefender, no Norton!!!
YOU MUST COMPLETE THE 8-STEPS WITH THE PROGRAMS THEY RECOMMEND.
There was a time where I too thought it didn't matter which A/V program I used, but there's a difference. Trust me!

I'll post it again, run this, https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ ... AS IS! There's a reason for it. Post your logs when you're done. If you do the procedure as you're supposed to, you won't need to worry about any 'recovery'.

i wish i could do all 8 steps but i cant install anything, the process just dies. im going to try to boot from the disk and maybe i can. at least tomorrow i wont have to wait on people i will be there by myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back