Taskmgr.exe consumes lots of CPU

I've seen older posts relating to this topic and I have similar type problem.
I have windows 7, 3gb , i3 Athlon - not the fasted but not useless.
I frequently have excel, outlook, firefox and a desktop Forex application all open sometime firefox almost grinds to a halt. So I come out of Firefox , see an improvement then look and see taskmgr consuming 30-35% cpu time.

I have a number of 'improvement products' for checking malware, registry etc. Is there anything wrong (seems like it) and if so any suggestions

Excel should not be an issue
outlook could be if accessing shares and/or calendars
firefox would be dependent upon the page(s) you are accessing implementing scripting, flash,...
Forex: unknown to me.

Taskmgr per se should not be an issue - - UNLESS you have a ton of programs/services active.

get us a list (cmd->run and enter TASKLIST /SVC >myEnv.txt)
and attach the file or post the contents of it.

Hi,
Many thanks for prompt and helpful reply.

I have attached file as suggested. The system is OK at the moment. Take another copy when it is not so good.
No idea about so many of the processes - only too happy to remove if safe to do so.

I usually run Firefox to access financial data - I.e. real time financial charts. Different sites perform very differently. I notice that I get 2 copies of Flashplayer running. Forex is another financial platform - Metatrader4 (and now 5) are standard platforms for accessing Forex (foreign exchange data) again showing real time data. Metatrader 4 allows you to write one's own programs - called Expert Advisors (EAs) to perform tasks (alarms, trading etc).

Hope this information is helpful. Not sure how to interpret myEnv.txt file myself.

Thanks

Attachments

• myEnv.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 2
Flashplayer running. Forex is another financial platform - Metatrader4 (and now 5) are standard platforms for accessing Forex (foreign exchange data) again showing real time data. Metatrader 4 allows you to write one's own programs - called Expert Advisors (EAs) to perform tasks (alarms, trading etc).
hmm; so many real time applications is going to stress your browser. Most of such programs use Java.

Firefox and Java have histories of memory leaks and that will stress the system too.

Consider using Google Chrome to run those applications.

I'll review the attachment ...

What I see in the attachment:
  • You are using Windows/7; I assume you are using the default firewall AND NO OTHERS.
What anti-virus software do you use and/or is installed?

I see programs that are active, but you may not know use services and run
from system startup. You can lessen the system load by changing them
from autostart to manual start. They will launch their required services
when you start them.
  • coreFrameworkHost.exe uiSeagnt.exe
The process known as Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform belongs to software​
Trend Micro™ Titanium™ Maximum Security or TELUS security services by Trend Micro (www.trendmicro.com).​

• AdvancedSystemProtector.exe; An A/V program from Systweak
  • terminal.exe ?? unusual to see this. Are you connecting to some other remote system?
  • TeamViewer_Service.exe also heavy resource consumer and is like Remote Desktop.

SQL***
mysqld.exe
sqlservr.exe
  • You must have multiple database systems installed and active.
ServicepointService.exe
The process known as Client Gateway or Virgin Media HUB (version 3.5.12)​
belongs to software Verizon Servicepoint or Virgin Media Service Manager or​
Rogers Servicepoint Agent or TELUS security advisor or Client Gateway or​
Bell Internet Service Advisor or Virgin Media Digital Home or​
Windstream Service Agent​
  • GregHSRW.exe; related to Gateway, Packard Bell, Acer

Back