TechSpot is very slow today! 8/6/09

Bobbye

Is anyone else having this problem? All my other sites are working find but delays here are pushing 1-2 minutes, with occasional 'server broke connection.'

It was a bit slow yesterday, not as bad as today. Can't pin it down to any specific feature or function here.

EDIT: the wait goes like this:
Waiting
Connected
Waiting
Transferring
Done

with time in between each.

We noticed the slowness as well, but thought it was because we were out of country, working on a relay.

At the moment is pretty snappy for me - I'll post back if this changes.

Same as Bobbye for me, I thought it was just on my end though. Guess not. It's been this way for several days for me.

imo, it's the ad server access. I have good response times but have also placed
the ad server domains into my hosts file :)

About 3 hours later-1:00EDT running fine right now. But these has been a general slowdown for the last few days.

It's been slow for me too, I thought it was either too much traffic at the website, or our ISP.

Thanks everyone for reporting back to us...

I haven't noticed any glaring issues myself and this is the first report of generalized slowness we receive, though it seems it's not limited to a single user or location which makes it more alarming.

Most recently we have made a couple of changes to the site's code, including an update to the ad code calls, so that could be it. I will appreciate if you can give me more details:

1) Does it happen site-wide or only in the forum?
2) Is there a particular spot where the page load slows down (e.g. before each ad is loaded, etc.)
3) For how long have you been experiencing issues?
4) Is the sluggishness constant or only sporadic?

Thanks you guys!

After reading the paper this morning, I'm wondering if the slowdown was caused by the Denial of Service attacks on Twitter and to a lesser extent, Facebook.

The entire Twitter site went down about 9AM Thursday, 8/6, the day I started this thread. Then the attack on Facebook later, not as extensive. Twitter was completely down for hours. I was almost back to normal mid-afternoon on Thursday.

So a lot of servers were busy doing hacker work. Surely that could affect internet traffic to some extent. Why this site in particular might indicate where the servers are located.

Julio, to answer your questions:
1) Does it happen site-wide or only in the forum? It was site-wide
2) Is there a particular spot where the page load slows down (e.g. before each ad is loaded, etc.) Any board feature.
3) For how long have you been experiencing issues? It actually slowed down somewhat the day before.
4) Is the sluggishness constant or only sporadic? Slowdown was constant during affected time periods.

DOS possibility questioned here: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1914966,00.html
Confirmed here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/aug/06/twitter-data-computer-security

Back