Tesla adds titanium shield to undercarriage of Model S to prevent battery fires

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tesla model

Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Friday announced the addition of a titanium shield and multiple aluminum deflectors to the undercarriage of their Model S to help cut down on the risk of battery fires caused by running over objects on the road.

It’s a real concern as a handful of Model S vehicles have caught fire in recent memory after striking metallic objects in the roadway at highway speeds. Fortunately, nobody has been injured or killed in those accidents but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) did launch an investigation into the matter.

Musk noted his company tested the new shields 152 times by running over objects like a concrete block, a steel alternator and a three ball tow hitch. In every test, the shields prevented any damage that could cause a fire.

Musk said the added weight of the shields only have a 0.1 percent impact on range and don’t affect ride or handling. Furthermore, wind tunnel testing shows no discernible change in drag or lift on the car.

All cars manufactured as of March 6 have been outfitted with the new underbody protection. What’s more, the company is offering to retrofit the shields to existing cars upon request free of charge. It’s not a recall as the car maker isn’t being required by the government to make changes but it certainly functions like one.

As such, the NHTSA has closed their investigation into the previous fires.

Permalink to story.

Ah cool atlest tesla are combatting the issue before it actually becomes an issue if it ever was an issue...

Meh. Its' a cool car but there ain't nothing like the sound of a V8. I sold my last late 90's Z28 but I will have a 13/14 6-speed Mustang GT Premium soon enough.

Last edited:
Good to see Tesla responding well to these issues.

Meh. Its' a cool car but there ain't nothing like the sound of a V8. I sold my last 90's Z28 but I will have a 13/14 6-speed Mustang GT Premium soon enough.
Definitely. Too bad emission standards are killing off the nice engines :D.

Meh. Its' a cool car but there ain't nothing like the sound of a V8. I sold my last 90's Z28 but I will have a 13/14 6-speed Mustang GT Premium soon enough.

I bet in the near future there will be a market for V8 emulator sounds for electric cars haha.

Ah cool atlest tesla are combatting the issue before it actually becomes an issue if it ever was an issue...

I'm pretty sure the people who bought the car and saw them catch fire thought it was an issue. That said, I wonder how much additional cost the titanium plate is going to add to the car.

What happens if the object in the road is hard enough to do the same to the metal and then leave a constant contact with whatever caused the fire?

This sounds more like putting the blame on other things than the car itself.
A fire happened to one of their cars in Toronto while the car was in the garage and not even been charged and they still don't know what caused that fire.

This was one of the fixes, "apply a software update on Model S cars to increase the ground clearance of the Model S when driving at highway speed" now as most people know that the lower the centre of gravity the better for stability.
I know this wont make the car so unstable(or even more unstable) that people will crash but it makes me wonder why the Europeans have their cars lower their suspension at highway speeds,it's not like the Tesla was racing car low.

Back