Tesla equips Model S with a new 'Plaid' powertrain and claims the fastest lap time at...

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? With a time of 1:36.555, the Model S became the fastest 4-door car around the famous Laguna Seca racetrack in California, according to Tesla. This event took place during the company's R&D of a new 'Plaid' powertrain (which has three motors, apparently) and is seen as a response to the record-breaking Porsche Taycan that recently blitzed the more demanding Nürburgring Nordschleife racetrack. Although it did prompt Tesla to send a Model S to Germany, CEO Elon Musk said that the car (a modified P100D) will need to be reviewed and tuned thoroughly for safety before they go for a best lap time.

Porsche's record-breaking run at the Nürburgring for its Taycan 4-door EV raised quite a few eyebrows on the internet. Soon afterwards, the inevitable happened as Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that a Model S would be heading to the racetrack as well to post a best lap time of its own.

While that is yet to happen, a prototype Model S equipped with the company's upcoming 'Plaid' powertrain broke the record for the fastest 4-door car to lap the Laguna Seca racetrack. Tesla didn't have to use a racing driver to clock this time as the company had a "member of the development team (amateur driver)" behind the wheel.

The sedan being referred to here is the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V that achieved the milestone back in 2015. Interestingly, the CTS-V is still the "official" fastest 4-door car at Laguna Seca, as a spokesperson for the racetrack wrote to CNBC in an email: "We were not officiating while the Tesla was testing on the track. Official records only happen during sanctioned events where a sanctioning body is officiating."

Commenting on the go-faster 'Plaid' powertrain, expected in Tesla's 2020 Roadster, Elon Musk responded to a tweet with the powertrain's production timeline and the models on which it'll be available.

This could mean that a future 'Plaid' Model S could slot in between the current Ludicrous model and the more expensive Taycan Turbo, but for now, it remains to be seen how the Model S will fare when Tesla is ready for a speedrun attempt at the Nürburgring.

Permalink to story.

Does Tesla seriously think that in order to compete with Porsche it needs to go faster? :)

What Porche did right - the more stable electrical system, which can charge faster and avoid overheating. And as a result, their car can do 0-60 as many times as you like. In the meantime, for Tesla doing a 0-60 run is a once-off, after which the car needs to be cooled for 20 mins or so. That is not user-friendly at all.

And then Tesla's build quality, that's quite bad also. In all, the last thing people care about is whether Tesla can go even faster.

Seriously? And just how important can this be to the driver in Suburbia that rarely ever see's 70 mph on their dash? Frankly, considering how poorly Tesla's are put together I'd be afraid to take it over 70 ..... I'll stick with my old Toyota .....

Seriously? And just how important can this be to the driver in Suburbia that rarely ever see's 70 mph on their dash? Frankly, considering how poorly Tesla's are put together I'd be afraid to take it over 70 ..... I'll stick with my old Toyota .....

It's very very different experience, smooth and immediate, a driving pleasure that would put a smile on your face... Apart from that, as more people driving electric cars we will breath in less and less carbon dioxide monoxide and countless other poisonous gases...

Just hope that they can introduce affordable Model 1(?) quicker, for mass adoption.

Back