Tesla has delayed Cybertruck production to next year, according to reports

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It seems that Tesla fans will be waiting a little longer before they can buy a Cybertruck. A new report states that initial production of the electric vehicle is no longer going to begin in 2022, and is now delayed to the end of Q1 2023.

According to Reuters, which cites a “person familiar with the matter,” the delay is due to Tesla altering some features and functions of the Cybertruck in light of increased competition within the electric pickup market.

Lending credence to the report is Tesla’s Cybertruck order page. It had stated that “You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022.” It now reads: “You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears.”

There was plenty of excitement when Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019. CEO Elon Musk told investors last year that Tesla might be able to complete some deliveries of the EV to customers before 2021 was out, but that never happened. Instead, we heard in September that the truck wouldn’t go into production until late 2022. Now, that date has changed to next year.

While Reuters’ source says the delay is due to design changes, it’s hard to imagine that the global chip shortage didn’t influence the decision in some way. Musk himself suggested in November that the crisis was impacting Cybertuck production. But with the Model 3 and Model Y selling so well, Tesla is unlikely to be concerned about its pickup being delayed.

Tesla previously said the cheapest Cybertruck would feature a single motor and rear-wheel drive and start at $39,000, though there are rumors that the model could be dropped. The flagship tri-motor version, meanwhile, is expected to be able to hit 60 mph from a stop in under three seconds, have a range of more than 500 miles per charge, and offer a towing capacity of more than 14,000 pounds.

Permalink to story.

This is probably code for "Ok we've seen the memes but Elon's ego is getting in the way of just forgetting this turd was even announced, best we could get out of him is to compromise into delaying it a ton"

Also when you say :

There was plenty of excitement when Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019.

I think you had a typo there: somehow your autocorrect changed "laughter" to "excitement" there chief.

The Chip shortage is the easiest scapegoat in this situation. Virtually everything has been pushed back. My Mercedes dealer has very few new cars on their lot. If I wanted an EQS, I have to wait for months and I can't order it the way I want it. BMW has contemplated pulling touchscreens out of the cars because they don't have enough chips. My SRT/Hellcat dealer has no new cars and no allocations.

As a Tesla shareholder, I understand that this is a combination of poor government policies, poor international logistics and low productivity. The stock itself is still doing well post-2021 split.

The Cybertruck and the Roadster are going to sell. Hopefully, as time passes, Tesla will figure out a way to make them even more profitable.

The Model 3 and Model Y have been a smash hit despite their initial delays.

Meanwhile Rivian appears to be delivering its electric pickup trucks now. I saw one parked in a driveway in my neighborhood. It looks configured more like pickup trucks we are used to seeing rather than the odd (to my eye) design of the Tesla.

I don't like the odd design of the Tesla, but you've gotta remember... people who preordered the Cybertruck did so years ago and had no idea that the Rivian, Lightning, Silverado, Sierra, Bollinger and others would get here so "quickly". GM, Ford and Stellantis can put out an EV faster than Tesla can. The only thing holding any of them back right now is the chip shortage.

Tesla buyers want everyone to know they have a "Tesla" and they are willing to buy into radical design.

There is a meme in the truck community when it comes to EV trucks: "just 2 more years"

It applies very well to this PS1 looking pile of scrap. The Ford and Chevy EV trucks will likely dominate the EV truck market when/if they come out this decade.

Bragging, then delaying is SOP for Musky. Musky will never meet a date for when he promises to deliver something. Anytime he says that he is going to deliver something, its all about marketing blather. IMO.

I think he should delay it until ............... after the planet overheats and we have another mass extinction. He'll have much better sales possibilities after that one .......

I think he should delay it until ............... after the planet overheats and we have another mass extinction. He'll have much better sales possibilities after that one .......
While I agree with the sentiment, what we need isn't electric cars or trucks. What we needs it's trains & trolleys, And cities built to be walk-able by actual human beings and not an endless desert of pavement roads and parking lots.

While I agree with the sentiment, what we need isn't electric cars or trucks. What we needs it's trains & trolleys, And cities built to be walk-able by actual human beings and not an endless desert of pavement roads and parking lots.
Sorry, mate, but such an imaginary utopis is just that, imaginary. Japan, arguably the most walkaboe nation on earth with arguably the best public transit system, still has tens of millions of cars, mtorcycles, even trucks on its roads daily.

You cannot have a modern city without road traffic. It is not feasable. Not to mention the sheer amount of time money, and emission sit would take to rebuild all these cities worlwide to fit this walkable criteria (ignoring the reason these cities sprawl, land is cheap, and nobody is going to pay 5x more cash for a cramped spae bcause its walkable guyz!).

And have ou seen the types of people that take public transit in america? Nobody wants to be stuck on a bus with the local basket case and a few gang members.

And have ou seen the types of people that take public transit in america? Nobody wants to be stuck on a bus with the local basket case and a few gang members.
It never bothered me when I used to do this at the start of my career. Maybe things have changed WRT to public transportation clientele, but I don't think it would bother me now, either. Besides, some of the buses in our area are now electric. The publicity these kind of things get is far worse than the actual experience, IMO.

SNIP

Tesla buyers want everyone to know they have a "Tesla" and they are willing to buy into radical design.
That may be true for Tesla owners but usually truck buyers could care less about new fads. That's why F150s and Silverados sell so well. People know them and know what they are capable of.

An electric truck is a great idea but I think people who are buying trucks are looking for functionality not fashion. And frankly, the Tesla truck, as currently designed, looks fugly.

Delayed solely because the competition has seriously amped up in the past 6 months. The Rivian truck is really, really good based on the reviews I've seen.

As a Tesla shareholder, I understand that this is a combination of poor government policies, poor international logistics and low productivity. The stock itself is still doing well post-2021 split.
What you really need to be aware of, is exactly how ugly this truck is, and how full of sh!t Elon Musk is.

BTW the way, is there any upward moving stock you don't own?

Back