Tesla not expected to start mass production of the Cybertruck until late 2023

midian182

Staff member
In brief: If you're a Tesla fan looking forward to the Cybertruck, you'd better be prepared to wait a while longer. New reports claim that the automaker won't begin mass production of the vehicle until the end of 2023, two years after the pickup truck's original target.

At the start of the year, Tesla confirmed reports that production of the Cybertruck had been delayed until 2023, the result of industry challenges such as the global chip shortage that has hit auto manufacturers particularly hard.

Last month, Tesla said it was readying its Austin, Texas plant for early production of the Cybertruck in mid-2023. "We're in the final lap for Cybertruck," Musk said on a conference call with analysts.

According to Reuters, citing two people with knowledge of the plans, mass production won't start until the end of 2023. Tesla will be hoping the initial output in the middle of next year will be enough to pacify impatient buyers who placed a $100 deposit on a Cybertruck up to two years ago, though it remains unclear exactly when they might receive their vehicles.

Reuters notes that the gradual ramp-up in production in the second half of 2023 means that Tesla would not be recording a full quarter of revenue until early 2024 for the Cybertruck, which is considered a key growth area for the company.

In April, a version of the Cybertruck was on stage during the Texas Gigafactory launch party event, showing a slight change to the original design: the truck no longer featured door handles; they had been replaced by sensors that detect when an owner is nearby and open the doors automatically.

We still don't know exactly what the final production version of the Cybertruck will look like or how much one will cost. Tesla said in 2019 that it was aiming for around $40,000, but vehicles have seen their prices shoot up since then, and Tesla has raised the prices of its entire range on several occasions, so expect the Cybertruck to cost a lot more than $40K.

Permalink to story.

I would go further and suggest that real mass production of the Cybertruck won't begin until the middle of 2024. This is a brand new vehicle they're producing with completely different structural components from the norm (ie. 9000 ton casting press), new battery cells produced by Tesla (the latest update), and it uses at least two novel materials: that fancy glass and a proprietary metal alloy for the structural body. All of this is likely to slow down production. That said, the glass is being implemented first in the Tesla Semi which is supposed to begin deliveries next month: https://electrek.co/2022/10/06/tesla-semi-production-starts-pepsi-first-electric-trucks/

Of course production was announced to begin for the Cybertruck in the middle of next year as mentioned in the article, but that doesn't mean much for consumers since it'll be very slow at first.

We still don't know exactly what the final production version of the Cybertruck will look like
But we all know what inspired the original design...

truck.png

Last edited:
Maybe he has kept his location hidden - after all, Musk is supposed to be on Mars by now. Maybe he has successfully duped all of us.

Oh wait. Since when has Musk ever hit one of his Fantasy Target Dates - except for his extraordinarily innovative Flame Thrower? 🤣

Musk continues to pass gas out of his various orifices. :rolleyes: And to think TS considers this "news."

Duke Nukem Forever approves. Or perhaps Elon and Chris Roberts will collab with a joint announcement for final production release.

2023, oh wait just one more year 2024, almost there just one more year 2025, then you know, never. Okay, that is not fair. Elon did deliver on his promise of FSD back in 2015. Seriously though, I don't understand the desire for this truck. I love tech, electric cars, ICE cars/trucks, but the Cyber truck just confuses me. Just a toy for rich egomaniacs?

The headline has a problem with it:
"Tesla not expected to start mass production of the Cybertruck until late 2023"

This would fix it:
"Tesla not expected to provide another excuse for delaying the Cybertruck until late 2023"

Maybe it's just me, but I think that looks a lot more believable. :laughing:

Duke Nukem Forever approves. Or perhaps Elon and Chris Roberts will collab with a joint announcement for final production release.
The only difference is that Chris Roberts will probably deliver, Musk, probably not. ;)

Maybe in spring 2130 finally Tesla will release its cyber piece of crap! It has to be the most hyped junk ever!
It's like I always say, the more something is hyped, the worse it will be. If something is good, it doesn't need to be hyped. That's why the F-35 was so over-hyped, it was nothing more than an American sales pitch. This is no different as it will be just as rushed, glitchy and overpriced as the F-35.
Just 2 more years!
Until the next delay!
Maybe he has kept his location hidden - after all, Musk is supposed to be on Mars by now. Maybe he has successfully duped all of us.
Oh he's on Mars alright. Drugs can do amazing things! :laughing:
Oh wait. Since when has Musk ever hit one of his Fantasy Target Dates - except for his extraordinarily innovative Flame Thrower? 🤣
Of course never. He's a lying sack of snake excrement.
Musk continues to pass gas out of his various orifices. :rolleyes: And to think TS considers this "news."
Well, it does look like a slow news day. AMD's big reveal of what ATi has been working on is tomorrow so this is the lull before the storm.
2023, oh wait just one more year 2024, almost there just one more year 2025, then you know, never. Okay, that is not fair. Elon did deliver on his promise of FSD back in 2015.
Elon is like a used car salesman.
Seriously though, I don't understand the desire for this truck. I love tech, electric cars, ICE cars/trucks, but the Cyber truck just confuses me. Just a toy for rich egomaniacs?
Isn't "Just a toy for rich egomaniacs" pretty much the definition of everything that his companies make? :laughing:

Back