Tesla partners with hacking contest 'Pwn2Own,' gives attendees a chance to win a Model 3

Polycount

Staff

The tech industry is no stranger to offering hefty cash prizes to those who discover the most debilitating bugs in their products and services. In November, Valve awarded a whopping $20,000 to a security researcher who found and disclosed a bug that gave him free games.

These large cash prizes have made bug hunting a full-time job for many "white hat" hackers, and several major tech companies have created "bug bounty" programs that dictate how much money they will pay out for various flaw disclosures.

Tesla is taking the concept of a bug bounty and turning it on its head. The company recently announced that it's partnering up with hacker contest Pwn2Own's organizers to award a free Model 3 to anybody who can uncover a major security issue in the car's software at the annual CanSecWest conference in Vancouver, Canada this week.

Of course, we should make it clear that this is not an ongoing thing. While Tesla might return as a partner for Pwn2Own during future events, the company is not kicking off a Model 3-centric bug bounty program of its own - no matter how interesting that might be.

Still, it's a great PR move on Tesla's part, and it's a win-win situation for everyone involved. Pwn2Own gets the benefit of having Tesla's name attached to their contest, Tesla gets the chance to fix potentially-major security bugs, and a lucky hacker might just walk (or drive) away with a free car.

Permalink to story.

Will the person who wins, get the car right away, or be put on the waiting list?

Or worse still, will it be one of the "tent Teslas"?

Will the person who wins, get the car right away, or be put on the waiting list?

Or worse still, will it be one of the "tent Teslas"?
First of all if you did just a little research you would know that people are now getting their cars as soon as 2-3 weeks after order which is normal for any car manufacturer. And whining that the wait list of a product because of huge demand is big is lame at best... all products that have high user demand have waiting lists.
Second, thinking that something as a car (that is designed to be outside all the time anyway) is worse off being final assembled under anything other than metal roof is stupid. There is no difference between the cars build in the structure inside and the structure outside which you call tent but it actually is much stronger than tent anyway...

The paid big oil posters are getting ridicules, but I think no one paid this one. Looks this one is simple troll... have not tried hard. :)

First of all if you did just a little research you would know that people are now getting their cars as soon as 2-3 weeks after order which is normal for any car manufacturer. And whining that the wait list of a product because of huge demand is big is lame at best... all products that have high user demand have waiting lists.
Second, thinking that something as a car (that is designed to be outside all the time anyway) is worse off being final assembled under anything other than metal roof is stupid. There is no difference between the cars build in the structure inside and the structure outside which you call tent but it actually is much stronger than tent anyway...

The paid big oil posters are getting ridicules, but I think no one paid this one. Looks this one is simple troll... have not tried hard. :)
Do you always respond to lightly humorous post with such an enormous amount of indignation and crap?

A "tent Tesla", is just an adaptation of the "this Lemon must have been built on either Monday or Friday shtick".

The truth of the matter is, (and this is whether you like it or not), that people looking for a car can usually walk into a dealership and find something which meets their needs, then drive away with it the same day.

As for "huge demand", any demand is huge if a manufacturer doesn't have the capacity to meet it.

I get it, you'\re the guy out in front of the eco-protest with the biggest sign.

I say living in a 4th floor walk up, but still needing a car, might push you to renounce you hyper self righteousnesses, and spring for one o' dem thar' nasty ICE turds.

See, I like being talked down to by people with enough money, to proclaim their environmental responsibility through a bullhorn. It's sort of garbage you relentlessly hear coming out of Hollywood.

Let's face it, if the publicity Tesla is on the charger, they'll take the Ferrari, or if they're going to slum it, the Escalade.

And well, the entire infrastructure of the US isn't going to be revamped by next year, just to patronize your electric car obsession.

EDIT: But here's the biggest joke of all, with an ICE vehicle, as it get older, you can generally find a serviceable engine at the local scrap yard. "Responsible" Electric car owners could be in tor some real sticker shock when that battery pack craps out after a few years

Incidentally, I could buy a brand new Prius or Chevy Volt tomorrow in my area. They're both in stock at local dealers. Frankly, the Prius is the one which easily makes the most sense, and it's 10 grand cheaper.

Last edited:
Back