Tesla showcases what fully self-driving system is currently capable of

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla yesterday afternoon revealed that every new vehicle it builds will come equipped with the necessary hardware to enable fully autonomous driving. The feature isn’t yet live, however, as the electric automaker said it still needs more time and real-world driving data to further calibrate the system for maximum safety.

Early this morning, Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Twitter published a video demonstrating what the hardware is currently capable of in a Model X SUV. Needless to say, it’s pretty impressive.

Electrek says the first part of the video was shot in the hills of Menlo Park meaning the vehicle drove itself from Menlo Park to Tesla’s headquarters in Palo Alto. While there is a person in the driver’s seat, they’re there strictly for legal purposes as the vehicle is driving on public roadways. Only when the vehicle reaches Tesla’s headquarters do we see its “passenger” exit as the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.

When you’re ready to go, simply tap “summon” in the app and the car will come pick you up.

Musk notes that, because the car can read parking signs, it skips past the handicap parking spot as you see in the video.

Musk said Tesla’s goal by the end of next year is to demonstrate a vehicle travelling from Los Angeles to New York in full autonomous fashion.

Permalink to story.

This one will take more lives than the previous version of the autopilot, encouraging even more false confidence.

They never show the car response to unexpected sudden obstacles that come out of nowhere and quick. That's because the car is unable to respond like human would in such situations. Those are the cases that define the human factor and the driver's qualification, not fair road conditions.

This one will take more lives than the previous version of the autopilot, encouraging even more false confidence.

They never show the car response to unexpected sudden obstacles that come out of nowhere and quick. That's because the car is unable to respond like human would in such situations. Those are the cases that define the human factor and the driver's qualification, not fair road conditions.
I don't agree, an autonomous car will never be distracted, an autonomous car will react in less then an 100th of a second. Never in a millions years a human will beat the machine.

Just take a look on those turns and merging in the highway. Those are the the hardest to implement in a autonomous driving.

Are you driving on the same roads as the rest of us because I sure as hell see idi.ots each and every day on the road and I would GLADLY have them be replaced by autonomous vehicles rather than to deal with their emotional knee-jerk driving which compromises everyone's safety.

Last edited:
"Tesla showcases what fully self-driving system is currently capable of"

Until it crashes or crashes into something ppfffttt.... they can't even make Android TV stable on my new 4K Sony HDR TV FCS ☺
,same thing on the Samsung and LG sets at the crib here ...... and Windows 10 WUP apps .........

I haven't heard that song from Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones "Paint it Black". All that was missing in this clip was the passenger's six pack on the seat next to him.
Why is everybody driving on the wrong side of the road?

While most other companies are working to integrate sensors into a vehicle or concept car, Tesla is way ahead of the game there. Once they expand there Supercharging stations to my area this will be something to look into.

Cool.... I think... it didn't stop when exiting the driveway at the beginning. That looked dangerous to me. Maybe it just knows there is no traffic? If we could replace all vehicles with automated driving vehicles we could get rid of traffic signals, stop signs, following too closely laws, etc. etc. Think of how efficiently and quickly we could get around town if computer controlled cars were all that was there. Maybe we can then start to make roads smaller and reclaim space. Don't get me wrong, I love driving... but our road system is incredibly inefficient and I'd estimate a good 90% of people driving don't want to be. Their behavior on the road proves it!

At all the stops though you keep seeing the car jerk, looks like the stops could be smoother.

Final note, it looks good at emulating a human driver by entering a parking lot in the wrong lane! Hah!

This is awesome, the car seemed to be driving really fast though? I love the end where you don't even park the car it parks itself. I can't wait for everyone to pick up on this technology.

This is awesome, the car seemed to be driving really fast though? I love the end where you don't even park the car it parks itself. I can't wait for everyone to pick up on this technology.

I think the video playback speed was increased for some reason. At least, that is how it appears to me.

I think the video playback speed was increased for some reason. At least, that is how it appears to me.
yes speed is increased and video is edited. I have watched it and the parking search alone is longer than the entire of this clip

But how will people get to their destination 12 seconds earlier if they can't weave in and out of the lanes? I actually would like to see how this thing signals its' turns.

But how will people get to their destination 12 seconds earlier if they can't weave in and out of the lanes? I actually would like to see how this thing signals its' turns.
It has turn signals like normal cars. I guess the computer knows how to light those too...

Back