Tesla's Model S Plaid track package pushes top speed to 200 mph

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Tesla's electric vehicles have historically been quick, but most would not classify them as fast given their relatively modest top speeds. That changes today with the introduction of the Model S Plaid track package.

Tesla says the new package is designed for the ultimate track experience, delivering high-speed stability, maximum cornering capabilities, and repeatable stopping power.

The kit includes a full brake system upgrade comprised of two 410 x 40mm carbon-silicon carbide front rotors, two 410 x 32mm carbon-silicon carbide rear rotors, two 6-piston one-piece, forged front calipers with high-performance brake pads, two 4-piston one-piece, forged rear calipers with high-performance brake pads, dual parking brakes, and track-ready brake fluid.

Buyers will also receive new wheels and tires consisting of two 20X10J, Zero-G wheels with 285/35R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (front) and two 20X11J, Zero-G wheels with 305/30R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (rear), as well as TPMS Zero-G center caps, valve stems and lug nut covers.

A firmware update accompanies the purchase, unlocking a new top speed of 200 mph.

Tesla said the new package is compatible with Model S Plaid vehicles from model year 2021 and newer. The automaker also advises against using the Goodyear Supercar 3R tires in the winter when temperatures fall below 40 Fahrenheit (5 C) or in snowy / icy conditions.

The Model S Plaid track package will be available starting in June and can be purchased in the Tesla app. Pricing is listed at $15,000 - $20,000. The tire and wheel package is also available as a standalone option for $6,000.

A new Model S Plaid starts at $107,490 according to Tesla's online configuration tool. The Model S with Plaid trim is the quickest accelerating car in production today and can reach 60 mph from a stop in 1.99 seconds with an EPA estimated range of 392 miles on a single charge. Its three high performance motors generate a combined 1,020 horsepower that is good for a quarter mile time of 9.23 seconds at 155 mph.

Permalink to story.

I'm surprised "government" hasn't mandated that these EV's cannot exceed 100mph.
I guess it will come sooner or later.

I'm surprised "government" hasn't mandated that these EV's cannot exceed 100mph.
I guess it will come sooner or later.
The government won't have to, IMO. Those people who buy these because of that top-end will find out pretty quickly that if they do drive them at that speed, battery range will be severely impacted, and the word will get out that Musk has produced yet another POS that is not worth the price.

It still weighs about 2.2 tons, so its like trying to go round a circuit in a Bentley, apparently this is a track package, but only if your track has no corners....

It still weighs about 2.2 tons, so its like trying to go round a circuit in a Bentley, apparently this is a track package, but only if your track has no corners....

The motors attached to the wheels themself pretty much make it superior with traditional cars and their transmissions, axles and what more.

The battery placement gives it a perfect grip compared to a car with a engine up front.

So much advantages.. And these things are more safer. this is just the start.

Well, you know what they say ..... the faster you go, the faster you drain your battery...

Driving on a public road at racing speed with an electric car? 🤣

Well, you know what they say ..... the faster you go, the faster you drain your battery...
But thankfully you can drive at top speed in a smoke pump and fuel mileage stays the same!
Or, maybe just driving at 100 mph cuts your gas mileage nearly in half compared to 55. I can't remember which is true!

But then we can easily find out. Just ask all the people that drive at top speed all of the time.

Driving on a public road at racing speed with an electric car? 🤣
But thankfully, nobody ever does that in a smoker. Right?

Last edited:
The motors attached to the wheels themself pretty much make it superior with traditional cars and their transmissions, axles and what more.

The battery placement gives it a perfect grip compared to a car with a engine up front.

So much advantages.. And these things are more safer. this is just the start.
Maybe that's why cars the the Porsche, with it's boxster motor, or midengined supercars like McLaren's are so good on the track?

My biggest problem with the Tesla is that it doesn't look like a super car. Why pay supercar money for something that looks like a Toyota corolla? As someone who has ridden in the Plaid, it's performance is amazing but all you get to tell it apart is a tiny badge about twice the size of a postage stamp on the back of it.

Maybe that's why cars the the Porsche, with it's boxster motor, or midengined supercars like McLaren's are so good on the track?

My biggest problem with the Tesla is that it doesn't look like a super car. Why pay supercar money for something that looks like a Toyota corolla? As someone who has ridden in the Plaid, it's performance is amazing but all you get to tell it apart is a tiny badge about twice the size of a postage stamp on the back of it.
Because then Teslas fanbase gets to clown on supercars how they got beat by a "family saloon". And if Tesla loses it doesn't matter because it's just a "family saloon".

Because then Teslas fanbase gets to clown on supercars how they got beat by a "family saloon". And if Tesla loses it doesn't matter because it's just a "family saloon".

The BMW M5 is considered a family saloon 🙂

Great News! Sadly, I don't know of a roadway that has a speed limit quite that high ..... at least, not in the US.

The Model S with Plaid trim is the quickest accelerating car in production today and can reach 60 mph from a stop in 1.99 seconds with an EPA estimated range of 392 miles on a single charge.

Wait.
That's an or/or, not and and/and, as suggested here.
Either you run on track and drain your battery (or be a traffic light sprinter in daily life), or you drive as modest as you can and you get 630km out of the battery. Not both.

Wait.
That's an or/or, not and and/and, as suggested here.
Either you run on track and drain your battery (or be a traffic light sprinter in daily life), or you drive as modest as you can and you get 630km out of the battery. Not both.
True, but it isn't a both at the same time thing, any more than performance\gas mileage stats are for the puffers.

A 2023 Corvette 0-60 is 2.8 seconds with a top speed of 195 MPH.
Its fuel mileage is rated at 17\24, 20 MPG combined.
But I don't know of anyone that thinks it can do both at the same time.

Honestly, I don't see how Shawn could have been more clear.

Back