Testing an OLED Laptop Display: It's Pretty Amazing

Julio Franco

Staff member
The QLED vs OLED is a fantastic competition right now.
The display looks very impressive, great review by Scorpus The Exuberant.

It's not a competition - OLED leaves its "competitors" in the dust. It's like arguing over a Steam Engine vs Gas.

People who have or want QLED just need to admit they aren't willing to spend more money. It's ok, but that's all it is. Oh, and if you actually paid more for QLED.... sorry you got swindled!

This display also blows away most desktop PC monitors, which is why we really hope we find a way to get more OLED displays up and running as monitors.
I'm waiting for that, too. Lots of developments on the horizon assuming that they make it to market.
I'll have to do more reading about OLED burn in but does running a simple screen saver mitigate the problem like in the phosphor days or does the tech not work that way?
Absolutely! I'll suggest the "blank screen" option.

I'll have to do more reading about OLED burn in but does running a simple screen saver mitigate the problem like in the phosphor days or does the tech not work that way?
Using a screensaver will not help with burn-in as it's a fundamentally different problem. Burn-in is caused by pixels wearing at different rates. For instance, let's say you watch a lot of CNN on your TV. After many years, that bright CNN logo in the corner may be permanently burned into your TV. I suppose you could try to burn-in the rest of the display to compensate, but it will not work out very well. In any case, that's why static content on PC is a concern. That said, there are definitely ways around it.

It's not a competition - OLED leaves its "competitors" in the dust. It's like arguing over a Steam Engine vs Gas.
I've been researching both technologies a little bit, but not a lot yet.
I'll be in the market for a quality 75" 4K QLED or OLED and have been looking at Samsungs, LG's and other various models.
I did watch a lengthy review of a QLED vs an OLED on youtube with the TV's side by side, not sure what size they were, 60-70", and the QLED's image quality was nearly as good in this specific comparison, as shown clearly by the tester with both running 4K content. OLED was better in just about every facet, including image quality, but the tech can suffer from burn in. They were both $2000+ panels.
The worrying part was the QLED not having good viewing angles...amazing this is still an issue with LED panels.

Last edited:
The worrying part was the QLED not having good viewing angles...amazing this is still an issue with LED panels.

When you look at the tech of LCD, it's amazing that it even works as well as it does off axis. Reminds me of Honda refining the carburetor well into the 1980s and still getting it to work efficiently long after most car makers switched to fuel injection. Same with Honda holding on to 5-speed automatics while using other engine tricks like cylinder deactivation long after everyone else had moved to 8+ speed slushboxes. Those engineers know damn well how to apply lipstick to a pig.

AMOLEDs while pretty, bright, and colorful have the absolute worst burn-in of any display, far worse even than the older plasmas. Every phone I've ever had with an AMOLED burned in, some more rapidly than others (ASUS was a few months, Lumia was a couple years - big difference in quality, I assume).

So while this laptop might be great for Content Creation at first, within just a few months you will see the tell-tale pink burn-in signs - and all that extra money would be wasted. All the color and brightness accuracy goes out the door once it starts, and I've never seen an AMOLED display NOT burn in over time. That said, I haven't seen them all and perhaps Samsung's diodes are stronger, more durable, and more resistant to photon damage (electricity AND heat). Perhaps this one won't have these problems, but who can say until it's tested over time?

I simply wouldn't buy another AMOLED until this problem is shown and proven to have been solved.

Using a screensaver will not help with burn-in as it's a fundamentally different problem. Burn-in is caused by pixels wearing at different rates. For instance, let's say you watch a lot of CNN on your TV. After many years, that bright CNN logo in the corner may be permanently burned into your TV. I suppose you could try to burn-in the rest of the display to compensate, but it will not work out very well. In any case, that's why static content on PC is a concern. That said, there are definitely ways around it.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...-oled-burn-tests-updated-31.html#post57296240

4K is pointless on a small laptop display and 120Hz+ is a must for gaming. Make it 1440p/144Hz and we have a huge winner here.

You make Burn-in sounds like a tragedy.. but it is not.
There are screensavers and automatic monitor turn off. I guess they can also develop an hardware screensaver within the monitor.
Come on, screensavers were common during pre-lcd era. I dubt that Burn is the real reason that prevent companies to bring Oled into PC market.

Last edited:
Burn-in isn't necessarily that bad. It enables you to see your desktop background even when the monitor is off. You can hang it on the wall as a painting. One day it may be more expensive than a Picasso.

The QLED vs OLED is a fantastic competition right now.
The display looks very impressive, great review by Scorpus The Exuberant.

People who have or want QLED just need to admit they aren't willing to spend more money. It's ok, but that's all it is. Oh, and if you actually paid more for QLED.... sorry you got swindled!

Nah that's hyperbole; they're both nice technologies depending on your use case. Becoming more affordable too. If you're going for pure home theater (this means a dark room with controlled lighting) then OLED is clearly superior. If your panel needs to fight natural light and reflections then the higher peak brightness (typically twice as bright than OLED) from QLED is often preferred.

The latest report is that OLED Sales are declining in the face of rising QLED btw.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lgs-oled-tv-strategy-needs-to-change-or-face-mobiles-plight/

You can do auto hide the toolbar to avoid that problem. If you are not using Classic Shell then you deserve burn-in

Not everyone play FPS games bud. This AERO 15 OLED is positioned as content creation notebook and I think it's panel clearly backing this up. Though it's still good for games :)

Well done here Gigabyte!

Nah that's hyperbole; they're both nice technologies depending on your use case. Becoming more affordable too. If you're going for pure home theater (this means a dark room with controlled lighting) then OLED is clearly superior. If your panel needs to fight natural light and reflections then the higher peak brightness (typically twice as bright than OLED) from QLED is often preferred./
The one pet peeve on my 60" LG Plasma is the damn glass thats reflective as hell. If OLED has this symptom, with possible burn in, and a degrading organic construction this is a much closer comparison.
I've seen a few QLED 75" Samsungs in person and the picture is stunning. For the money difference, I think I know which way I'm leaning. No doubt the OLED's picture is better, but is it that much better? Guess thats personal preference, and I'm pretty picky.

I really want an oled monitor. My comfort range is 300 400. If it was no smaller than 24, I d get it today.
And I dont think I am alone on this. People like me don't see it very useful spending on oled tv, but my computer is where I wanna have the best stuff. Give it to us, gigabyte.

I've been researching both technologies a little bit, but not a lot yet.
I'll be in the market for a quality 75" 4K QLED or OLED and have been looking at Samsungs, LG's and other various models.
I did watch a lengthy review of a QLED vs an OLED on youtube with the TV's side by side, not sure what size they were, 60-70", and the QLED's image quality was nearly as good in this specific comparison, as shown clearly by the tester with both running 4K content. OLED was better in just about every facet, including image quality, but the tech can suffer from burn in. They were both $2000+ panels.
Just go to Best Buy and check OLED and QLED side by side - OLED is really that much better. The only real competitor is MicroLED.

I really get more understanding about OLED display from this review. However, regarding image retention, I checked some reviews about this issue, and seems that not all the users face this kind of problem. Anyway, at least OLED display can really be suited to laptop on GIGABYTE laptop.

I have an LG B8 OLED TV (bought it on sale for $1100), and there's no going back to LCDs after owning an OLED. Picture quality is just phenomenol! And to think my 55" OLED is actually cheaper than some of those G-sync monitors out there is just insane! (that new all the bells and whistles Asus g-sync monitor goes for $2k, are u kidding me?!)

Now, I thought 120hz is standard for OLED? How come this laptop is only 60hz?

Eager beavers will pay the price, but, as with most "new" tech, the price will come down to a "normal" range as more displays are produced. I can wait it out. I use a photospectrometer to calibrate my monitor anyway.

Back