Testing Ivy Bridge: Intel Core i7-3770K Reviewed

Holy crap... 1.52V on air! What were the temps like?

I think overall the performance and power consumption are pretty much as expected... nothing to get too excited about and looking at the gaming performance I still don't have an urge to upgrade from Bloomfield.

No comments needed -the review stands by itself. It is a little bit more than I expected in some scenarios, anyway, I was about to upgrade in june from my Allendale (C2D) to a 2500K, so now I'm going for the IB processor I can buy with the money formerly destined to a 2500K. Only in mobo, case, processor, cooling, and RAM I'll invest $700 keeping my HDDs, 9800 GT, and optical drive for a while; I think on december I'm going for new graphics card. It's settled.

Many applications are only 5% faster. the GPU is better but still too bad for gaming, Quicksync is a lot better and power consumption under load is better. More of a minor update really, not worth upgrading from Sandy Bridge if you're already there.

LOL!!

1.52V is a little scary.

I'm sure techspot might be aware of crazy temps, and they choose not to disclose it so they wont deter any customers from buying it.

I think I'll keep my 2600K at 4.9Ghz with 1.355V

Thanks though!

I'd have been interested to see a power consumption comparison between Ivy Bridge and the A8 in gaming with integrated graphics. More out of curiosity, just wondering how well that power efficiency scales when the IGP is in heavy use as well.

Im most interested in how IB can OC in comparison to SB, since its typical performance improvements are minor. If the chip can OC to 5GHz on average, with manageable temps on air, then thats news I want to hear! /off to google

The 3570T looks nice. I'm using an Athlon X3 455 in my file server, but it's got like a 65-90 Watt TDP... going to a 3570T should reduce power/heat in my system... might have to look into this.

This review is useless without telling us what temperatures you got with your overclock. I'm guessing they don't show them because the don't want to scare potential costumers when they see the cpu at over 100 degrees celsius!

A6 and A4 were not included, I'm pretty sure that the on die gpu graphics beat the intel integrated graphics, also the temperatures... you just hide it because of the fact that overclock becomes quite hot in this processors.

This review is useless without telling us what temperatures you got with your overclock. I'm guessing they don't show them because the don't want to scare potential costumers when they see the cpu at over 100 degrees celsius!

The only ones hiding here are both of you "guests", it looks like you haven't seen any other review here, as you can see, in the last Bulldozer review, there was no temperatures chart neither in stock frequency or overclocked, so your point's not valid about "don't wanting to scare potential consumers". By fact, the review won't be extended just because you ask, and has nothing to do with Intel biasing.

The only ones hiding here are both of you "guests", it looks like you haven't seen any other review here, as you can see, in the last Bulldozer review, there was no temperatures chart neither in stock frequency or overclocked, so your point's not valid about "don't wanting to scare potential consumers". By fact, the review won't be extended just because you ask, and has nothing to do with Intel biasing.

Why does the fact that I don't have a user here change the fact that the review is not complete in it's current state? - no matter what a Techspot review usually contains. Every other professional site, and even some lousy sites, have temperatures in their review because it's as much a part of the review as anything else, except Techspot who, for some unknown reason, apparently thinks it doesn't matter. I did not in any way mean that Techspot was biased towards Intel. But TTL said on the TTLcostums Youtube channel that Intel tried to stop, or at least delay, him making his video about IVB because he was giving actual data on the insanely high temps, which was what I implied also happend here on Techspot.

Every other professional site, and even some lousy sites, have temperatures in their review because it's as much a part of the review as anything else.
Nope. Anandtech, Guru of 3D, HardOCP, Bit-tech, Tech Report for example....and the reason is fairly obvious. Motherboard, setup (chassis or open air test rig), and most importantly, cooler choice play too much a part in the variation between CPU's and CPU architecture. The "your mileage may vary" scenario comes fully into play - some motherboard manufacturers set up their BIOS's to gain from "stock/turbo" settings from the get-go, some boards don't clock without adding extra voltage for stability, and unless you're using the stock heatsink fans, how do you evaluate CPU temps across different platforms, using different settings and different cooling? Especially when the temp reporting on CPU's like the FX-8150 is borked...[FONT=Arial]unless you're of the school that believes that Bulldozer runs 7[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]º[/FONT][FONT=Arial]C over ambient (stock clock) or 12[/FONT][FONT=Arial]º[/FONT][FONT=Arial]C over ambient when OC'ed to 4.76[/FONT][/FONT]

The take home message for Ivy Bridge is that at stock voltage the CPU has no equal in temp/power consumption, where it falls away is when the OC is ~4.7G and above (surmised as a trait of the tri-gate transistor)-unsurprising that IB's introduction mirrors pretty [FONT=arial]much[/FONT] every other CPU, in that as the process matures the average OC increases. Early release Sandy Bridge was no different -and sites are now comparing early revision IB with late revision SB. Most seem to forget that many early SB samples had trouble reaching 4.7, whilst samples produced from the latter half of 2011 onwards are generally 4.9-5.0 capable.
[FONT=Arial]
A6 and A4 were not included, I'm pretty sure that the on die gpu graphics beat the intel integrated graphics,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Probably offset by the fact that Intel's QuickSync is currently the best graphics switching solution out. I guess Intel can take consolation that while they don't have the graphics horsepower (and I'm pretty sure Haswell will make up for that deficiency), they have solid wins in CPU performance, performance/watt, performance/$ and performance/mm[/FONT][FONT=Arial]². I don't think anyone is under the impression that Intel's HD 4000 is anything more than a means to get an image onto a screen. Likewise I don't see Llano in any serious gaming, business or workstation machines[/FONT][/FONT]
But TTL said on the TTLcostums Youtube channel that Intel tried to stop, or at least delay, him making his video about IVB because he was giving actual data on the insanely high temps.
It's TTL (Time To Live) Customs. And the guys name is (Tiny) Tom Logan. His site also (OC3D) gave the 3770K a gold award with 10/10 for performance , so maybe the issue isn't as all-important as you seem to think..

Holy crap... 1.52V on air! What were the temps like?

I think overall the performance and power consumption are pretty much as expected... nothing to get too excited about and looking at the gaming performance I still don't have an urge to upgrade from Bloomfield.

When overclocking I only took a quick look at the temps and they were around 85 degrees using the Prolimatech Super Mega. I didn’t bother reporting these temps because I had nothing to compare them with and I honestly didn’t know how accurate the reads from AIDA were.

Temperatures anyone? wtf?

The title is “Testing Ivy Bridge: Intel Core i7-3770K Reviewed” not, “Ivy Bridge Overclocking Explored” so I have no idea why you guys are expecting in-depth overclocking results. When testing new CPU’s we simply include some overclocking results if we have time, it’s hardly in-depth.

I'm sure techspot might be aware of crazy temps, and they choose not to disclose it so they wont deter any customers from buying it.

Yes you have it all worked out :S

- Finally thanks once again dividebyzero for using your skills as a trainee n00b to bring some common sense to the thread ;)

Great review, thanks for the info!

This looks like a solid CPU, impressive to see that level of performace with such a small footprint.

For me however I will hold off because my i7-920 still suits all my needs just fine.

Here, I'll help you. The temps were somewhere in between room temp and the surface of the sun! But it still works...so

The 3770K would actually be a downgrade from a Sandybridge...
I watched the video to see where you were coming from. I'm not sure how you can make that statement, when the video was not a comparison video. They were generalizing the characteristics between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge but never once compared their performance. You come here making a claim and the guy in the video during the conclusion made it quite clear he wasn't willing to make.

I would love to see the i7 920/930/950 @ 3.5Ghz against the i7-3770k.
I have a i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz and results like these make me happy I haven't upgraded yet.

With Intel firmly in control of the market and no one pushing thier architecture but themselves, they are free to release newer CPU's at a slow, unmotivated money eating pace.

Looks like we have a "Guest" spamming the board for OC3D- thought they wouldn't need the traffic after their last giveaway competition.
I would love to see the i7 920/930/950 @ 3.5Ghz against the i7-3770k.
I have a i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz and results like these make me happy I haven't upgraded yet.
Comparison at ABT : 3770K vs 920 with both clocked at 4.2

@ Linked Kube: Your avatar looks like prOn for Q*Bert
/shows age
//shows self out

^ This.

It is assumed that temperature results are part of a CPU review. Especially with the temperature controversy surrounding Ivy bridge. Please do not act ignorant. And please understand I appreciate the time spent to do the review, it was still somewhat helpful, although omitting the temperature results was disappointing.

It is assumed that temperature results are part of a CPU review.
Maybe they should be...if the review used the stock heatsink fan that comes packaged with the retail CPU. Know how many reviews used the stock HSF? Two. Hardware Secrets and Hot Hardware out of ~40 reviews that took an in depth look at the 3770K.

You could also argue, I suppose, that stock clocked + stock heatsink fan temps should be included. Now, I'd take a couple of points into consideration:
1. What workload do you use to load the CPU that provides equal loading across cores (including turbo), is indicative of real world usage, takes into account the differing Vcore of individual CPU's, the differing board requirements for stable voltage, and represents a standard for chassis cooling?
1a. How do you compare systems that don't utilise the same HSF ? (AMD systems, SB-E ). There is a large enough difference when comparing the stock cooler to an average aftermarket air cooler with the same CPU.
2. How many 3770K users are going to be using the CPU at stock clocks and be using the useless chunk of aluminium that takes up most of the box.

So, how do you make any relevant comparision when you have a raft of differing OC's, voltages and cooling? Just as a cross section of the reviews I can see:
5.0-5.05GHz (voltages range from 1.35-1.50v) Lab501 (NH-D14 cooling), Hardware Heaven (H100), Bit and Chips (unknown)
4.9GHz (voltages range from 1.35-1.52v) TechSpot (Super Mega), HardOCP and BSN (watercooled), Guru3D (Noctua ?), OCLab.pl (NH-D14), KitGuru (Phanteks TC14PE), Tech Report and Hardwareluxx (unknown)
4.8-4.85GHz (voltages range from 1.26 -1.50v) Two reviews used watercooling, one used the Intel RTS2011LC, 2 were unspecified, the others used air coolers ranging from entry level Cooler Master to the not-available-everywhere Alpenfohn K2.
You have temps ranging from 75[FONT=Times New Roman]º[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]C fo[/FONT]r a Corsair A70 air cooler (4.8 @ 1.35v at Hexus) to 88[FONT=Times New Roman]º[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]C fo[/FONT]r a better air cooler in the Havik 140 running slower with less voltage at X-bit (4.6 @ 1.2v)

Again dividebyzero proves that he knows what he is talking about. Ohh and for the record we were not supplied with an Intel heatsink which is why I tested with the Prolimatech cooler.

@abysal - I am not acting ignorant, this is the same format we have used to test new CPU's on launch day for a long time now and I see no reason to change this. If we post an Ivy Bridge overclocking article then yes you can expect to see detailed info on cooling setups and temperatures.

Back