Tetris: The best-selling video game in history turns 30 today

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tetris

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the iconic building block puzzle game Tetris, one of the most recognized video games of all time. It’s a household name alongside other classics like Pong and Super Mario Bros. in many parts of the world that was even recently proven to have some positive effects on losing weight and quitting smoking / drinking.

The game, designed and programmed by Alexey Pajitnov, was released on June 6, 1984, in Russia. It managed to sell more than two million copies before ever arriving on Nintendo’s Game Boy.

tetris

As Pajitnov told Time in a recent interview, he convinced Nintendo of America CEO, Minoru Arakawa, to include Tetris as the bundle title when the Game Boy launched in 1989. To get the executive hip to the idea, Pajitnov told him that if he wanted little boys to buy the machine then include Mario, but if he wanted everyone to buy it, include Tetris. The rest, as they say, is history.

Although Super Mario Land was a great game, most people would agree that Tetris made the Game Boy and the Game Boy made Tetris.

True enough, I had more fun playing Tetris than any other Game Boy title. Perhaps the best times were had when linking two handhelds together via Game Link Cable for versus play. This was one of the earliest multiplayer gaming experiences available and it was immensely fun.

Tetris went on to sell hundreds of millions of products across more than 50 platforms and is the best-selling title in video game history by a wide margin.

Permalink to story.

Wow, all it took was just seeing the gameboy title screen in that picture and now the music is stuck in my head.

Good times...never could last long once I got near to 100 lines though.

I would think the Tetris music is one of the most well known tunes in the world.

Used to have family competitions on holiday to see who could get the most lines. Dad getting 164 once just blew us all away!

A few weeks ago I watched Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters. I highly recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in Tetris. On the surface a documentary about Tetris players sounds dry, but it isn't. Its the 2nd video game documentary that I've been pleasantly surprised with.

Used to be one of my favorite games back in the days... I remember one day reaching a very high high-score until my game-boy crushed... I never knew game-boys were capable of doing that.

Lol. I'm really old. I still like tetris, pacman, and ms pacman on NES and on windows 95/98se/2000/xp/vista/7/8. (though I can't find my tetris for windows to see if it could run under emulation or normally for windows 8.x)

True enough, I had more fun playing Tetris than any other Game Boy title. Perhaps the best times were had when linking two handhelds together via Game Link Cable for versus play. This was one of the earliest multiplayer gaming experiences available and it was immensely fun.

I never owned a Gameboy device so I never even heard of this Game Link Cable. Pictures I search from the net shows cable for Gameboy Advance.

Last edited:
Nobody watched that documentary I linked :| I know because if anyone did they would have commented how awesome it was. (Its free on Crackle and Hulu)

Back