The Be Quiet! Dark Base 700: a near silent enclosure with sleek design

Greg S

Decked out with a full tempered glass side panel and RGB lighting, the Be Quiet! Dark Base 700 could be a worthy contender for new builds. Featuring USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C and room for a some larger radiators, this case is ready for lots of new hardware.

Measuring in at 21.4 x 20.4 x 9.48 inches, the Dark Base 700 is an ATX Mid Tower case. Motherboards ranging from Mini-ITX up to E-ATX are compatible, although E-ATX boards must be no larger than 12.08 x 10.82 inches. Weighing in at 29.21lbs, the Dark Base 700 is not a lightweight but is very reasonable for its size.

Using a combination of 0.8mm steel, ABS plastic, 1.2mm aluminum, and a 4mm thick tinted tempered glass panel, the Dark Base 700 should provide a solid feel to match its clean appearance.

The front IO panel has two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port, and standard microphone and headphone jacks. The backlit power button, status LED, and LED switch for lighting control are roughly centered on the angled front. A slide switch for the four-step fan controller is also located on the front panel next to the USB-C port. The stripes along the front of the case can change between six different colors providing a smooth glow.

Moving to the inside of the case, there are two included case fans. The first is installed at the front intake with the second pushing air out the rear of the case. Both are 140mm SilentWings 3 PWM 1600 RPM fans with 6-pole motors and fluid-dynamic bearings carrying a maximum noise rating of just 15.5dB.

If more fans are needed for your build, the Dark Base 700 supports plenty of cooling options. Two 140mm fans will fit up front, up to three 140mm fans on top, one fan can be used for the power supply shroud, and one more can go on the bottom. Both the top and front support 120, 140, 240, and 360mm radiators. The front also supports a 280mm radiator while the rear allows for a 120mm/140mm option. The top bracket is removable for easy mounting of fans and radiators.

For keeping your CPU temperatures under control, coolers up to 7.08 inches tall will fit without pressing against the tempered glass side panel. Graphics cards up to 11.26 inches can fit without removing a hard drive cage. Removing a cage allows an additional 5.67 inches of space for massive GPUs. With the cage installed, there are seven 3.5 inch bays and three 2.5 inch bays. Each 3.5" slot allows for installation of two 2.5" drives if desired. Rubber dampening pads are included to reduce vibration.

There are seven PCIe expansion slots in addition to two vertical expansion slots for showing off your graphics card. Obviously this requires a PCIe riser sold separately, but is something to consider when searching for a new case.

Pulling out the motherboard tray reveals that it can also be used as a bench, but you probably won't be constantly doing this due to the nine required screws holding it in place. You can also invert the motherboard tray if you decide to try a different airflow pattern. Complete removal of the motherboard tray is convenient for system testing before putting everything into final position within the case.

Removing the front panel of the case provides access to the front and bottom air filters. The front is attached with hooks while the bottom simply slides right out the front. It does not appear to be difficult to access the filters, but routine cleaning is unlikely to be convenient since the front panel must be removed every time.

The Dark Base 700 will ship with a 3-year warranty and is set to launch November 14. Previously we've reviewed the Silent Base 800, and one of our favorite high-end cases, the Dark Base Pro 900, reason enough to pay attention to what Be Quiet! is doing next.

Permalink to story.

Now if I was in the market for a case this would definitely be my 'go to' one before before even reading a single review, but I would anyway. Although I'm not struck on the gimmicky lighting and window part of the story, I could live with a window and presumably the lighting can be disabled. Fortunately I'm not in the market because I already use the Silent Base 600 without a window or lighting, I really like it because of it's sound dampening properties and I'm still good for another few years.

Airflow looks terrible. The top can take 3 140mm fans but there are only small vents on the back of the top panel. That much air hitting a solid wall will create noise and send hot air back into the case. The only place to take in air in the front are what look like tiny perforations down the side of the front panel. I'd strongly advise checking temperatures in the case before buying one.
Looks like it has PCI-E slots for mounting a single GPU on a riser. While I like this new concept in terms of showing off your graphics card, it puts the card's fans too near the side panel and will surely impact cooling, unless using a blower fan and you rarely want to show them off.
Otherwise it looks like a nicely designed case.

Love the dual chamber design for the power supply. Best design ever.
I like it too. It creates different zones for concentrating your cooling. The shroud also provides new surfaces for mounting SSDs on and to hide cables, especially in this new era of tempered glass and RGB.
Some people say that the PSU shroud should never have air vents over the PSU as it means a leak in water cooling could fry your PC. But I prefer the idea of encouraging airflow around your PSU and maybe getting some extra cooling up to your GPU depending on your fan configuration. Also I don't use water cooling, so I'm obviously biased. Maybe a magnetic cover would satisfy everyone.

I can't believe they still make cases where the ps is mounted on top and the hot air of the system is sucked into the power supply for "cooling"

I can't believe they still make cases where the ps is mounted on top and the hot air of the system is sucked into the power supply for "cooling"

I can't believe you didn't read the article or look at the photos to realize that the PSU is not mounted on top, but has its own enclosure down at the bottom like every other decent case made in the last five or six years.

I can't believe you didn't read the article or look at the photos to realize that the PSU is not mounted on top, but has its own enclosure down at the bottom like every other decent case made in the last five or six years.
I can't believe you didn't read my post about how I like this design and how you couldn't put 2 and 2 together and didn't understand I was talking other cases that still utilize the old design

Back