The beastly Aorus 17X gaming laptop from Gigabyte packs a 16-core Alder Lake-HX chip and...

Humza

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Gigabyte's upcoming flagship gaming laptop, the Aorus 17X YE, appears to be one powerful PC. In the company's official listing that now appears to have been removed, Gigabyte notes this model will pair Intel's 16C/24T i9-12900HX Alder Lake silicon with Nvidia's 16GB 3080 Ti GPU on an HM670 motherboard. There's no word yet on pricing or availability, though it's safe to assume an exorbitant sum when the Aorus 17X arrives in the coming months.

The powerful CPU/GPU combo in the Gigabyte Aorus 17X would potentially allow this laptop to make the most of its 360Hz display when it comes to modern AAA gaming. The 17.3-inch IPS screen, perhaps, is the weakest part here, given that it will sport just 1080p resolution as per the company's official listing on its Taiwanese website (status 404 at the time of writing).

Gigabyte also appears to have spilled the beans on Intel's upcoming 12th Gen Alder Lake-HX CPU, which the latter is yet to officially announce. This makes the Aorus 17X the first laptop to pack one of Intel's fastest mobile chips. The 16-core (8 performance, 8 efficiency) 24-thread CPU will reportedly be a 55W SKU based on Intel's desktop-class silicon with a maximum turbo frequency of 5.0GHz.

Paired with this chip will be Nvidia's 16GB RTX 3080 Ti Laptop 130W GPU and up to 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM. Gigabyte hasn't specified the maximum storage capacity but does note that this model will have 2 x M.2 slots which can be equipped with NVMe PCIe Gen4 drives.

Gigabyte's official photos reveal the Aorus 17X YE to be a fairly chunky machine coming in at 2.7kg, thanks in part to the Windforce Infinity cooling system. Among other connectivity options located on either side, this model will also have a Thunderbolt 4 USB-C port, mini display port and a dedicated Ethernet port.

Although battery capacity is still unknown, Gigabyte will reportedly ship this laptop with a 280W power supply. Unlikely to be the most portable machine once it arrives, the beastly internals of the Aorus 17X YE should certainly make it stand out in performance benchmarks and heavy-duty gaming.

Permalink to story.

Now this is literally desktop replacement, for those who are travels quite a bit (probably due to work, schools, research, or something) and has desktop setup on home. by desktop setup I'm talking about 4K monitor, huge-*** cooling pad, keyboard, or even speaker system at their room.

there is market for this terribly niche market, tho, especially in Asia.

130w for the 3080ti is rather low, many models have a 165w 3080s. So far the 3080ti is very disappointing just like the desktop 3080ti.

130w for the 3080ti is rather low, many models have a 165w 3080s. So far the 3080ti is very disappointing just like the desktop 3080ti.
Laptops have been a pitiful lot for quite some time now.
I have a 3 year old MSI with a 210 watt 2080 that still more than keeps up with these toys.

It's making me consider building a gaming desktop for myself for the first time in a decade.

Anyone expecting desktop performance out of laptop - across the board - has their head in the sand. These OEMs are always walking a very thin, tightrope. Some do it much better than others and it usually comes with a modicum of trade-offs that end up tweaking a specific segment of the consumer base in some negative way.

These xx80 and high-end CPU chip configurations have to be judged on the merits of what physics can support and at the very least - some amount of truly portable use. Why? Because what a reviewer might deem as a "desktop replacement" machine gets misinterpreted all the time. OEMs aren't really designing these 'slabs' as desktop replacements - because if they did - they would be designing out the battery, making the cooling complexes MUCH bigger and reducing the BOM cost... (as one set of glaring examples..), or perhaps returning to the era of removable batteries. And once you start rethinking what the form factor is targeting, then you're drifting into all-in-one territory.

As a side note: The author should assume this thing is going to have the typical Aorus 17 platform's 99 WH battery. Honestly, this review smacks of the author not researching the previous Gen one bit. Just sayin...

Having tried the 11th Gen Aorus 17... lmao ... and grabbing popcorn to enjoy the complaints about fan noise on this next gen rig and the retorts from sore behind brigade.

Last edited:
As a side note: The author should assume this thing is going to have the typical Aorus 17 platform's 99 WH battery. Honestly, this review smacks of the author not researching the previous Gen one bit. Just sayin...
This is not a review, which if it had been would have gone into way more detail as TS reviews do (including battery info).

It's a news item covering an upcoming model with some official and some leaked/rumored details.

Well then grab a crowbar and pry me out because my laptop does perform better than most desktops.

I think the point is that this is not a desktop replacement for a 3080 desktop, as the marketing implies.

The marketing around laptop GPU's is a bit ridiculous. Really should not even be allowed to be numbered or named the same. A just-released laptop 3080ti can't even keep up with a vanilla desktop 2080 from 4 years ago.

This is not a review, which if it had been would have gone into way more detail as TS reviews do (including battery info).

It's a news item covering an upcoming model with some official and some leaked/rumored details.
And the story mentioned the battery capacity. Journalistic prowess is a dead art apparently ...

Oh .. and this for product line reference:

Point being, statements like this lack tech journalistic prowess:

"Although battery capacity is still unknown..."

Last edited:
Back