The Best 1440p Gaming Monitors

The MSI QRD is an odd beast. Rtings said out of box calibration was a 7.6/10 or something like that, but two other sites including Tom's said calibration was great out of the box. I haven't experienced great HDR, but when I enabled HDR in Doom Eternal it was far better than what I would typically get with Nvidia filters.

Last edited:
1440p on a 32in screen...Yuk!

Don't do it.

Its a popular view that 1440p on 27" is the only way to go. I personally wanted a VA panel which limited my options so I went with a 32" Dell S3220DGF (31.5 inch QHD Gaming Monitor, 1800R Curved Screen, 165Hz, VA, 4ms, AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 HDR) and it looks really good. Its the same pixel density as a 24" 1080p but with more real estate and it doesn't require a crazy GPU to run games at good settings. I spent a lot of time looking at it and playing games on it. The curve and the 32" makes it plenty immersive. I've sat plenty of people in front of it and they all like it.

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire article yet. But I feel compelled to ask why the 1440p resolution is the automatic "go to" resolution for gamers? Oh, and that comment was an introduction by somebody at TechSpot so it's not part of this article. Still, I'd like to know.

I bought a 1920x1080 Samsung 21" monitor years ago for a decent price and it still works. So, I dont understand why people would settle for less than standard HD resolution.

I wish I could understand half the technical data in this article. Who would have thought one has to consider so many details when buying a monitor? I just go with the one looks best to me, lol

I wish I could understand half the technical data in this article. Who would have thought one has to consider so many details when buying a monitor? I just go with the one looks best to me, lol

Monitor purchasing is a minefield unfortunately. You think you would get a good one by giving a company (random) £300 but it’s not always the case.

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire article yet. But I feel compelled to ask why the 1440p resolution is the automatic "go to" resolution for gamers? Oh, and that comment was an introduction by somebody at TechSpot so it's not part of this article. Still, I'd like to know.

I bought a 1920x1080 Samsung 21" monitor years ago for a decent price and it still works. So, I dont understand why people would settle for less than standard HD resolution.

1440p is QHD. 1080p is FHD. 720p is HD.

So the 1440p monitors in question are higher resolution than your 1080p Samsung.

1080p is still very viable but attainable video cards can get decent 1440p frame rates and you get a bit more detail and screen real estate.

1440p is QHD. 1080p is FHD. 720p is HD.

So the 1440p monitors in question are higher resolution than your 1080p Samsung.

1080p is still very viable but video cards can get decent 1440p frame rates and you get a bit more detail and screen real estate.
My mistake. The 1440p is vertical, not horizontal. Got it. Thanks.

It's not the "go to" resolution. It's a very popular resolution for gaming monitor upgrades.

It's not the "go to" resolution. It's a very popular resolution for gaming monitor upgrades.
I was equating the phrase "go to" with popular. Maybe they aren't as equal in nature as I thought. None, the less, thanks for the great article. I always try to learn as much as I can to make the best purchasing decisions for the future.

Its a popular view that 1440p on 27" is the only way to go. I personally wanted a VA panel which limited my options so I went with a 32" Dell S3220DGF (31.5 inch QHD Gaming Monitor, 1800R Curved Screen, 165Hz, VA, 4ms, AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 HDR) and it looks really good. Its the same pixel density as a 24" 1080p but with more real estate and it doesn't require a crazy GPU to run games at good settings. I spent a lot of time looking at it and playing games on it. The curve and the 32" makes it plenty immersive. I've sat plenty of people in front of it and they all like it.

Same monitor - love it.

I was equating the phrase "go to" with popular. Maybe they aren't as equal in nature as I thought. None, the less, thanks for the great article. I always try to learn as much as I can to make the best purchasing decisions for the future.
1440p has been growing in popularity for a while now.
The most exciting monitors feature 27" high refresh IPS 1440p Freesync and G-Sync, and midrange GPUs are running them easier and easier every generation. It's a no brainer moving to 1440p going forward. I've yet to hear anyone regretting the move.

Back