The Best Graphics Cards: Full AMD and Nvidia GPU Comparison with Latest Drivers

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/]https://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Nice article there, Steven (emphasis on power consumption and performance).

"$100 - $150 GeForce GTX 650 Ti" Wow, at that affordable price range, a poor man like me could finally upgrade in early 2013.

Excellent round-up Steve - very comprehensive (as usual), and nice to see so many cards tested with the latest drivers.

How come that you use the top card from AMD and not the top card from Nvidia?

Nvidia made a GTX 690 card some time ago ;), please re-do the test with both of the top cards, or take the AMD top card away to make test fair!

Looks like I'll be waiting for the next generation of video cards before I replace my GTX 560 Ti. There isn't a similarly priced card that can consistently do twice as well yet.

To quote Mugatu: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Nvidia made a GTX 690 card some time ago ;), please re-do the test with both of the top cards, or take the AMD top card away to make test fair!

In what way does comparing a $1000 GTX 690 to a $450 7970 GHz Edition card make it a fair test? If the article was titled "finding the world's fastest single graphics card" then yeah you might have a point.

At $1000 we would only consider including the GTX 690 if we were going to compare it to a similar priced AMD setup, such as dual 7970's for $800. But that is not the point of this article.

Hypothetically if we were to include the GTX 690 it would not appear on the final page as a recommended buy.

LOL @EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card , 999.99$ + shipping charge

with that amount, I can build two desktop computers and buy two 20" led monitor sufficient for my simple needs.

however, for the drool factor, WOW @GTX690 :)

Great comparison, it's always good to see performance with the latest drivers for people considering GPU upgrades rather than the release drivers.

Well actually you've got half a point, it would be interesting to see the GTX 690 in the charts... but then that would have to be against the 7990 and I think that would still burst your fanboy bubble.

Because (Since you are a Guest I will call you as the following) Mr. Nvidia Fanboy, they were doing performance comparison according to PRICE RANGES, they were not looking for THE fastest setup, they were looking for which offered the best bang for the buck, which one was the best if you could afford a couple more bucks, if the fastest one was really the one that gave you what you were paying for and so on.

It's just as easy as reading.

I game at 2560x1600. I have Crossfire 6870's but even if I disable Crossfire a single 6870 will run 99.9% of games maxed out at this res. With AA + AF as well.

Almost all PC games and game engines are made with consoles in mind, so they're made for ancient 7 year old hardware and will easily run on any decent graphics card. Which isn't a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Consoles are seriously holding back PC graphics, and you now get people that actually think games like Portal 2 look good because they're so used to crappy graphics that this low graphical standard has now become acceptable, when PC hardware could do so much better and isn't even beginning to be stressed with stuff like this.

I'm not just talking about graphics either, the same goes for gameplay physics which can massively benefit from more processing power in PC's.

This test is incredibly fair, anyone of the 1% of the population who can afford to spend $1000 on a graphics card like the 690 or the 7990 already knows what they are doing or is a fanboy, so no need for tests. Also, in the GTX 690 vs the HD7990 AMD still wins in most places due to a stronger clock rate.

I know most people only use their GPU for gaming but this doesn't take into account CUDA cores and using them for rendering. This really changes the picture if you consider any sort of rendering (video editing, 3d Modeling, etc). Honestly it makes it hard to consider AMD without a major discount.

Yeah, the 680 is only faster in name alone. The 7970 beats it in almost every category, and they're improving their driver support too.

I can appreciate this article to a degree.. My problem is I own a 670 FTW and I have benchmarcked better results then you are showing in some of the games you tested (BF3 being one of them) The fact that you show two versions of the 7970 , 9750 (7970 / 7970GHZ | 7950 7950 Boost) and only show a reference gtx680 / 670. makes me think you lean tword AMD anyway and this article is Bias.

Hitman absolution is a heavily demanding game as metro 2033 with extensive dx11 features(eg-bokeh DOF)
amd 7970 and 7950 beats both gtx 680 and 670
...you can find benchmarks on techspot and guru3d .....
the true power of gcn(is a ground up architecture) is coming forefront with maturing drivers....(y)

Kepler cards as gtx 680 and 670 released with boost clock....but for some technical issues amd released 7950 without boost clocks at first...but later amd resolved this by giving boost clock as kepler through bios update...therefore it's called 7950 boost with 925 mhz dynamic boost clock from 800 mhz....so nothing is biased out here kyle and others who don't know this...

Back