The Best Headphones - Holidays 2022

Happy with my Beyerdynamics dt 990 - but that after I used some 3dprinted parts to remove brittle plastic.
I don't like ANC and not looking for that at all. And I really dislike small cups.

Is the AT-M50x really a better studio headphone than the Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX or HD650?

Even though the ATs are good value and ok for tracking (as they're closed back) the Sennheisers are so much better for mixdown/mastering due to their flatter response across the frequency range (apart from a roll-off in lower frequencies) and there's no comparison at all in the mid range.

Is the AT-M50x really a better studio headphone than the Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX or HD650?

Even though the ATs are good value and ok for tracking (as they're closed back) the Sennheisers are so much better for mixdown/mastering due to their flatter response across the frequency range (apart from a roll-off in lower frequencies) and there's no comparison at all in the mid range.

Probably a good idea to check out some head to head (no pun intended) comparisons... there's the whole debate of open vs. closed back, but that will really come down to what you need:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...heiser-hd-600/295/325?usage=19&threshold=0.10

https://homestudiobasics.com/hd600-vs-ath-m50-vastly-different/

I have the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee- Drop sells them cheap for a bargain - run them off a chord Hugo 2 from my PC - like them a lot.
If I want a bit more bass and fun - then I have my Philips X2 ( probably better than Ath-M50x for music )
see I can pick up the Ath-M50xMO - lantern glow orange for $130 USD at moment - apparently good casual - hardy, easy to carry and drive.
Had a number of Audio Technica Air headphones - great for female vocals - and fps ( don't play MMO ) - don't like the wing design. Wouldn't mind trying some of the expensive audio technica - for that sound with a fuller bass.
Currently have on HIFIMAN HE5XX Planar Magnetic Headphones- prefer them a little bit more to my Senns- but just- both great value- my DAC can easily drive them .
Probably only need a high end Audio Technical for treble - and a Focal for bass - don't need some super detailed HD800 or more expensive phones - happy at this level

Plus I prefer open back -more natural - plus can hear if one of my dogs want to go out ,or someone wants my attention

Last edited:
Headphones are something I find hard to recommend, due to issues with fit, closed vs open back, and of course, the source sending them a signal to output. Also, you'd be surprised how glasses can be an issue if there's too much pressure on the arms.

I personally used the ATH-M50 (old version) for a very long time; reasonable headphones that did well at everything I threw at it, but had a bit too much head-clamp that made them painful over long (8+ hour) sessions.

I'm currently using a Sennheiser GSP 600 as my headset of choice. Could probably use a bit more quality at the super-low end of the spectrum, but has held up against everything I've thrown at it thus far.

Note these recommendations were done on a PC using a Sound Blaster Z Soundcard.

I tried the £149 Razer Barracudas with an aim to having an “all round” headphone set, but they were so poor I returned them.

Grabbed a set of Blackshark V2 Pro Wireless for £99 and so far they appear vastly superior and great value. I’ll only ever use them on the PC but the Barra’s weren’t exactly portable anyway.

No Philips Fidelio X2 (the X3s aren't as good) either?

And no mention of the V-Moda Boompro mic?

It's probably just me but ear buds constantly fall out on me and I find headphones uncomfortable after an hour. I ended up with a set of neck speakers and love them. They leak a lot of sound so they don't work in the office or the library but, at home, they sound pretty damn good. You can also hear things around you like the phone or the door bell and the really great thing is I barely know I'm wearing them. You should include these types of listening device in your comparisons.

I read a review on rtings comparing higher end bose vs sony.
Bose felt a bit better. Also, you can replace ear pads in bose headphones

I have the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee- Drop sells them cheap for a bargain - run them off a chord Hugo 2 from my PC - like them a lot.
If I want a bit more bass and fun - then I have my Philips X2 ( probably better than Ath-M50x for music )
see I can pick up the Ath-M50xMO - lantern glow orange for $130 USD at moment - apparently good casual - hardy, easy to carry and drive.
Had a number of Audio Technica Air headphones - great for female vocals - and fps ( don't play MMO ) - don't like the wing design. Wouldn't mind trying some of the expensive audio technica - for that sound with a fuller bass.
Currently have on HIFIMAN HE5XX Planar Magnetic Headphones- prefer them a little bit more to my Senns- but just- both great value- my DAC can easily drive them .
Probably only need a high end Audio Technical for treble - and a Focal for bass - don't need some super detailed HD800 or more expensive phones - happy at this level

Plus I prefer open back -more natural - plus can hear if one of my dogs want to go out ,or someone wants my attention
Audio Technica and treble = poor joy!

Sony have bluetooth multipoint since previous update, now you know.

Great product, although im sure all of these are good choices

There needs to be a better term to use than 'best' for these types of reviews. 'Best' and 'Opinion' are so often synonymous. Your 'Best' is not MY 'Best.

OK, 'nuff about that. My Audeze Mobius' planar speakers make them the 'best' sounding headsets that I have ever used. In 3d mode, and 7.1 channel, I can hear footsteps a mile away and get ear shattering explosions at the same time. Neat trick, eh? They did not make your 'Best' list.

This list should probably be called the most popular, or most purchased online, headphones and earbuds (IEMs). They are all far from the best. You could grab the Kiwi Ears Cadenza's for $35usd, and they'll probably be better than all the earbuds, and most of the headphones, on this list. There are far more excellent audio devices available in the world than what's on Amazon's, Apple's, Best Buy's, New Egg's, etc. top 10 sold list.

Back