The Best Monitors: Top 4K, enthusiast, gaming, and budget choices

Please mention the Freesync range when talking about those monitors, as it's rather important.

Pretty good list but one I don't agree with is the 'Best Enthusiast Monitor'. The Dell U2715H is a terrible recommendation on any list... it has a slow response time, average 60Hz refresh rate and its overpriced for its specs. God I hope it doesn't have that 3G coating too...overall that thing is nowhere near worth $470 and its an insult to hardware guys like myself to have that on this list. Near $500 you can do MUCH better, your even in Acer Predator range.
The ASUS PB277Q (the good model) is also a 27" 1440p but has a lightning fast 1MS response time, 75Hz refresh rate and cost much less. It's not an IPS but that tech is overrated, it helps with viewing angles but that's about it.

Last edited:
Best value monitor should state it's resolution, to be consistent. On that note, I disagree 27" @ 1080p is a value in comparison to the others.

The Dell 2715H is also available in 25", as the 2515H. It retains the 1440p resolution so it has a higher DPI and it just looks amazing. It's also lot cheaper than the 27" version.

One that I'm looking at is the Acer G257HU smidpx.
Screen Size: 25"
Max Res: 2560 x 1440
Response Time: 4ms
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Panel: IPS
Diemensions without stand: 13.50" x 22.40" x 1.60"

On Sale for 219.99
No vesa mount.

You know, seeing all these nice big EXPENSIVE monitors is nice, but I wish they would have a few more of the cheaper monitors for all us retiree's ...... LOL
Yeah, I'm still using my 6 year old 24" 1080p Samsung PLS monitor and it still looks great to my eyes but maybe they're just getting old now. It's running on my new Galax GTX 1070 EXOC. Overkill I know, but when you can get a brand spanking new 1070 for ~$260, you don't say no. That was cheaper than a lot of 1060's that I've seen. I would've upgraded my monitor for something a little fancier by now but I honestly haven't seen the need to.

I have a 24" 1080p 60hz monitor and I really don't have any problems with it except one thing: it only has VGA connector. Every modern GPU doesn't have VGA, just DVI-D and HDMI. I feel like 24" screen size is perfect for me and that's what I would buy next if I ever need a new monitor. Also 1ms response time and possibly 144hz.

There are a ton of high quality 4K-IPS-Freesync monitors in the $200 - $300 price range. Why are none of those here?

You know, seeing all these nice big EXPENSIVE monitors is nice, but I wish they would have a few more of the cheaper monitors for all us retiree's ...... LOL
Yeah, I'm still using my 6 year old 24" 1080p Samsung PLS monitor and it still looks great to my eyes but maybe they're just getting old now. It's running on my new Galax GTX 1070 EXOC. Overkill I know, but when you can get a brand spanking new 1070 for ~$260, you don't say no. That was cheaper than a lot of 1060's that I've seen. I would've upgraded my monitor for something a little fancier by now but I honestly haven't seen the need to.

(When you can get a brand spanking new 1070 for ~$260, you don't say no).

If you care about gaming I suppose you don't say no but to those who couldn't care less about gaming you do say "no".

I am one of those who thinks gaming is retarded, maybe not for young kids though. Just my opinion of course

I have a Crossover 324k 32" 4k monitor. It was $440 on ebay over a year ago. The equivalent 32" 4k panel was $1200 at the time and besides usb ports on it. Had the same inputs. And it was well worth every penny. Buying Korean panels has been significantly cheaper than buying a monitor from Dell/benq/asus/etc.

Come on.... The AOC is likely the best value 2560x1440 IPS 165hz gsync monitor on the market. $609 USD. Built around the same AHVA panel as all of the other similar spec monitors.... I just bought one. Needs a little tweaking to look its best, but I am extremely happy.... Cheaper than the Asus by $140........ What's not to like? Just saying :)

(When you can get a brand spanking new 1070 for ~$260, you don't say no).

If you care about gaming I suppose you don't say no but to those who couldn't care less about gaming you do say "no".

I am one of those who thinks gaming is retarded, maybe not for young kids though. Just my opinion of course
That's true, they don't care, but should they realise it's real value right now they'd still fork out for it, if they had a bit of common business savvy considering they know they can offload it for a nice profit. I Don't give a toss about an iWatch (or any smartwatch for that matter) but if I can pick one up for $150 brand new, you bet I will, then very quickly put it on the market. It just makes economic sense to me. Nothing wrong with turning a honest buck.

TECHSPOT.... Im going to be blunt... all these people are right... that are many monitors, that are better, in many ways... your post here... is BS... (sorry)

Love your SITE. (u can do better)

All I'll say is make sure your video card can drive all those pixels at the correct refresh rate. My card has no problem gaming at 3440 x 1440, but can't drive that resolution at over 50 Hz. Bummer when I found that out.

For a FreeSync gaming monitor, the Acer XF270HU is also a great choice. 144 Hz IPS FreeSync 2k and good colors out of the box. It can be had for $200 less on average as well.

I have one of these. There's some minor backlight bleed and ips glow, but otherwise a spectacular gaming display for the money.

That's true, they don't care, but should they realise it's real value right now they'd still fork out for it, if they had a bit of common business savvy considering they know they can offload it for a nice profit. I Don't give a toss about an iWatch (or any smartwatch for that matter) but if I can pick one up for $150 brand new, you bet I will, then very quickly put it on the market. It just makes economic sense to me. Nothing wrong with turning a honest buck.

Yeah, very good point there , I would do the same if I could get a known pricey item for cheap $$.

I feel like this article avoided listing a Freesync 2k 120Hz+ gaming monitor option. Because they exist and are awesome and far less expensive than G-Sync counterparts.

Back