The Best PC Speakers: From 2.1 to Surround & Studio Monitors

My wife has the Creative Pebble V2 for her home office, and they are awesome for the price. She mainly uses them for instructional videos and background music, and the sound is clear and loud enough to hear well across a bedroom. They are bigger than I expected - for some reason in pictures they look tennis-ball sized to me, but they are closer to a large grapefruit.
When my 20+ year old Logitech X-530 conked out last year, I considered the Pebble Plus, until I found the Logitech Z313 on sale.

Shout out for Kanto who aren't mentioned here, I have a set of Yu4s and couldn't be happier with them. Immense sound and all the inputs you could possibly need.

I had the Promedia 2.1s, they were great speakers for the money. I have them for 10 years before they started to have issues. Then I just replaced then with my JBL 4311's and never looked back. Bit over kill for a PC setup but over kill is the best kind of kill!

But I've recommended the 2.1s to many people over the years and all of them have been happy with them. Don't expect to get more than 8-10 years out of them but what do you want for $140? People spend more Netflix in a year, the Promedia 2.1s could be priced much higher but they've been a steady $140-150 since I got my first pair in 2005.

While I won't comment about some of the... interesting choices made by staff, or the lack of alternative options for each category they often have for these lists, I will also voice a recommendation for the Creative Pebble.

I had a couple complaints about poor speaker output in the office for several people (both built in and super cheap speakers), and given my local options I opted to try out the Pebble 2.0. They are surprisingly clear and more than loud enough for an office setting, and for some of my laptop docks the fact that they are powered by USB-C is actually a big plus. A bonus is if the Pebble can pull 10w from a USB port or AC adaptor, it can double it's RMS rating (not that it is necessary given the use case), and they looks pretty nice and have a "modern aesthetic" without being very large on the desk.

The Pebble 2 is also $5-$10 USD cheaper than the Pebble 3.0 which makes the speakers an even better value, so long as you're able to plug them in close enough as the cables are fairly short.

I have the PreSonus Eris E4.5 BT-4.5" Near Field Studio Monitors and have enjoyed them. The pair usually goes for around $150 on sale via Amazon. They are small enough for a normal desk without having to buy stands or wall mounts. Sound quality is good and I can connect my phone without having to use a cable.

Pretty sad for 5.1 sound on PC. I've been using receivers since my Klipsch 5.1s died. It's almost to the point where the best 5.1 would be 3 sets of Klipsch 2.1s.

I'll never understand why so much effort is put into video, and so little into sound. You don't see a "best gpu or monitor" list with the top being a gtx1060 and a 24 inch TN panel monitor. It's $2k partner 4090s and $2k large format oled monitors. Yet this list touts these low (barely middle) end speakers as the best. Where's KEF, Focal, B&W, Adam, Dali, etc....If you can spend $4k plus total for the video (50% of how you experience content on a PC), you can at least spend 1/4 or 1/2 of that on the sound (the other 50% of how you experience all content).

Pretty sad for 5.1 sound on PC. I've been using receivers since my Klipsch 5.1s died. It's almost to the point where the best 5.1 would be 3 sets of Klipsch 2.1s.
You can blame that on surround sound headsets. Although, my JBL4311s open up a 3d sound scape that I haven't heard in a home theater before. 2 ears, 2 speakers. But, my PC sound setup is impractical for basically anyone. Double the price and add 2 zeros to the most expensive speakers on this list.

I do have a large collection of JBL studio monitors, vintage loud speakers and Marantz amplifiers. I've considered making a surround sound setup out of it before

I had the Promedia 2.1s, they were great speakers for the money. I have them for 10 years before they started to have issues. Then I just replaced then with my JBL 4311's and never looked back. Bit over kill for a PC setup but over kill is the best kind of kill!

But I've recommended the 2.1s to many people over the years and all of them have been happy with them. Don't expect to get more than 8-10 years out of them but what do you want for $140? People spend more Netflix in a year, the Promedia 2.1s could be priced much higher but they've been a steady $140-150 since I got my first pair in 2005.
On my second set of promedia 2.1. Got these. Maybe 8 yrs now. First set lasted about 10 yrs. Once they out I'll probably upgrade but the jump from PM2.1 to next step up is like 2-3x price.

On my second set of promedia 2.1. Got these. Maybe 8 yrs now. First set lasted about 10 yrs. Once they out I'll probably upgrade but the jump from PM2.1 to next step up is like 2-3x price.
They punch way above their weight class price wise

I went with Logitech Z623's from X-530's that I'm pretty happy with. I'm not too picky when it comes to audio. $50 off helped too. The speakers are clear and the subwoofer could get me evicted and I like that!

Last edited:
You should consider the Edifier R1280T 2.0 speakers too. They are awesome for gaming, music and everything, and you won't need a loan to get them :p
I've heard about that brand a lot. Something like that is probably what I'd go with when upgrade time comes. I like what I got now, but I don't love all the wires and proprietary connections (Logitech 2.1).

" the circuitry in the subwoofer is effectively simulating 5.1 channels from a stereo source."

Correction, it is reproducing Dolby Pro Logic Surround - from a two-channel analog audio source.

For Windows users, turning on 'Virtual Surround' in Sound - advanced/enhanced features - will convert 5.1 or 7.1 sources into an analog surround signal that the speakers can reproduce with full 5.1 or 5.0 separation. (This technology uses out of phase and phase shifting to encode and decode the additional channels from the two-channel source.)

This type of surround is not as precise as digital 5.1 - but really close and works well for lower cost surround speaker systems. See Dolby Pro Logic Surround on Wiki or look up the history of Surround sound.

Just noticed, Microsoft has an article/blurb on this:

Virtual surround uses simple digital methods to combine a multichannel signal into two channels. This is done in a way that allows the transformed signal to be restored to the original multichannel signal, using the Pro Logic decoders that are available in most modern audio receivers. Virtual surround is ideal for a system with a two-channel sound card and a receiver that has a surround sound enhancement mechanism.

Still happy and content with my good old Logitech Z-5500. Still the best and most powerful PC speakers on the market in my opinion.

You should consider the Edifier R1280T 2.0 speakers too. They are awesome for gaming, music and everything, and you won't need a loan to get them :p

Edifier is now my go to brand for computer speakers. TBH I wouldn't touch anything that Creative sells, overrated IMHO. Logitech is fine, but not really a great value most times. And Klipsch? Love them, I have a set for my living room stereo. But I wouldn't call them a value brand by any means either.

It seems that OP's experience with computer speakers is limited to the big three. Which is sad, there are many really good quality speakers out there that simply don't get enough traction like the Edifier lines. I now have 4 sets of them and love every one. One aspect I really enjoy, is every pair has enough bass (though sometimes a bit boomy for my tastes) to easily use without a sub. Can't say that about Creative speakers. OP really needs to get out more... j/k

My first speaker was edifier. they're okay but I wanted something more so explored more offerings from logitech, creative, altec lansing and klipsch. after few years unfortunately the amp or rather the wired controller of both creative 550 and klipsch ifi stopped working. I bought a receiver 7 years ago and never looked back. somehow the much older altec 885 and newer but complicated logitech z cinema are both still working today.

honestly the editor could've included more brand in the list. but considering how PC speakers have become much smaller (though not as small as soundcard) there isn't much alternatives to begin with. outside US the market is even smaller, you don't easily find creative or klipsch in certain regions.

anyway for the editor: you should do a deep dive on the PC speakers history instead. you can remind us of the good old days, when PC speakers came in 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 and even 7.1 configuration. when speakers come up with THX certifications (which are bull, but still better than RGB I guess). some famous speakers such as Z680, Z5500, Z906 even came with SPDIF (in optical or coaxial) support to ensure you can also get surround sound from PS2/Xbox, considering back then most PC soundcard even onboard ones support 5.1 to 7.1 analog outputs, unlike the consoles.

today's speakers are mostly boring in shape too. in the old days manufacturers actually tried out various out-of-the-box design for PC speakers, jbl creature, jbl encounter, harman soundsticks, razer mako, mirage xbox speakers, klipsch gmx, etc. they definitely look silly now, but man 15 years ago they look cool.

I just use a pair of small Logitech amplified speakers. They seem to do the job just fine. I have a Craig Home Theatre surround system but I'm just too lazy to bother setting it up. :laughing:

I use the Klipsch The Fives for my home theater and bluetooth for my record player and what not. I really love them, they are simple, does the job for me, I am not audiophile, but fits the bill for me.

Back