The best possible build for my motherboard?

Aphelion

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=432

It's an older AM2+ socket motherboard, but with a BIOS update I can use the 1100T. My dad wants to upgrade but not spend another wad of cash to get a new desktop, so I was thinking it would be better if he simply upgraded.

I was thinking about:

8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800 or 1066 MHz
1100T
HD 6850

My question is, what would the best power supply be for that build and if there are any bottlenecks I should be worried about?

I would say you need at least a 600W power supply for that build. Do you know what your power supply rates at?

the 1100T which im asuming is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T yes? is only AM3 not AM2+
The board linked above does list support for AM3.

A long time ago, I read that AM2+ would be able to support AM3. I'm not sure how this applies to the 1100T, but if you look at the list of supported processors, you will see the 1100T.

I'm wondering if I'll be limited by how much memory I can put in this motherboard, or things like that. a 700 watt power supply sounds solid, if i need at least 600.

What will the PC be used for? A 600-700W PSU might be overkill. And yes, if the manufacturer supports it, an AM3 CPU can be used with an AM2+ board with the necessary BIOS update.

Gaming mostly, which is why I want to push the motherboard to its limits on the CPU. 8GB ram is plenty enough for most things, and I was actually planning to use it for learning how to use CryEngine 3

I agree with Ritwik7, if you plan on overclocking you'll need something in the range that he has recommended.

As to the CPU compatibility question, I always check with the board maker, ti whit:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=432

The CPU tab lists the full line as OK for the Phenom II X6 series. It also lists the entire Athlon II line as OK. you should be good to go.

As to the PSU, using either a 6850 or 6950 GPU in the build would require a 600W unit of good quality. Don't cheap out here as it always bites you in the wallet. Should you wish to overclock, I would use a 750W PSU of good to high quality and expect to pay in proportion.

On a personal note, I don't overclock anymore, but will do it for others after explaining the down side. I have used AMD based computers for over 10 years and have found OC'ing to be a mixed bag. It can help in some games and on some platforms and hinder on others. I do find desktop performance to be little different and not really worth the random reboots (that become more common over time) and the inevitable hardware failures that accompany overvolting. YMMV.

Goodluck.

Overclocking in general i think is pointless, just wanted some thoughts on that. :)

Thanks for the help guys

Overclocking in general i think is pointless, just wanted some thoughts on that. :)

Thanks for the help guys

Really depends on what your needs are, it's certainly not for everyone but it can make a significant difference in performance.

All in all I'd have to say pretty good. It's completely stable at 4.7GHz with all the power management enabled (plus a tweak from AMD Overdrive). Just upgraded to the new Nero 11 Platinum which made things even better. Seeing improvements of 30% (over the 1100T at 4.1GHz) and more on video encoding and other related processing. Was hoping for the golden 5GHz chip but I think those are called the FX 8150P :)

Think Red has done even better with his, as usual.

Back