The Crucial P5 is the company's fastest ever SSD with read speeds of up to 3,400MB/s

Humza

Staff member
In brief: If you're looking to give your PC a new lease of life or just want to spec it to the max, Crucial's latest and fastest NVMe PCIe P5 SSD can help achieve either of those with blazingly fast performance figures of 3,400MB/s read and 3,000MB/s write speeds.

Crucial boasts 40 years of Micron's quality and engineering expertise for its new P5 SSD line up. Besides using PCIe Gen 3 NVMe for their high-speed data rates, the M.2 2280 form-factor drives feature hardware-based encryption for data security, which the company notes will not degrade performance.

There's also 'adaptive' thermal protection onboard to keep the drive from overheating, with recommended operating temperatures ranging between 0°C-70°C. Official documentation further reveals a life expectancy of 1.8 million hours.

The P5's endurance rating (number of bytes it can withstand) also follows the usual trend of scaling up with higher storage capacity and is rated at 150 TBW (terabytes written) for the 250GB model, 300 TBW for 500GB, 600 TBW for 1TB and 1,200 TBW for the 2TB version. There is, however, an important detail that's still kept under wraps and relates to performance figures for the P5's random read and write IOPS.

Crucial is offering a 5-year warranty on the P5 series but hasn't yet made it available to any retailers nor revealed what it'll cost. Although the company's aggressive pricing is expected for this lineup as well, it will still be more expensive than the equally tempting (but slower) P2 series, which it released a few weeks back.

Permalink to story.

This thing is like 1 year too late to the party. Sabrent SSD-s are way better, they both faster (at 5GB/s) and cheaper.

There is no point spending money on Gen 3 M.2 drives anymore, considering that Gen 4 ones are backward compatible with Gen 3, while offering way better performance, if you do have a mainboard with Gen 4.
And even if we don't it will still be ready when we upgrade to a Gen 4 board.

I recently upgraded storage on my laptop because I needed more space but as far as speed goes with Gen 3 Samsung ruled the enthusiast segment for years. Now there are quite a few drives that have caught up and even outperform the Evo+ very slightly. Gen 3 is tapped out speed wise now even with some midrange priced drives.

I love Crucial. No issues whatsoever out of my MX500 2TB drives.

I definitely am interested in their 2TB M.2NVME, but I don't see a price!

And I expect to buy at $199.

This thing is like 1 year too late to the party. Sabrent SSD-s are way better, they both faster (at 5GB/s) and cheaper.

That really depends. Yes the PCIe 4.0 SSDs are fast but they lack in responsiveness tests. Older PCIe 3.0 drives are beating them pretty handily when it comes to real world tests and game load times.

The only reason I know this is because I was in the market for an M.2 SSD. I have an X570 board but I decided to go with PCIe 3.0 due to the responsiveness.

I expect that the bigger players will fix this when they launch their PCIe 4.0 products.

That really depends. Yes the PCIe 4.0 SSDs are fast but they lack in responsiveness tests. Older PCIe 3.0 drives are beating them pretty handily when it comes to real world tests and game load times.

The only reason I know this is because I was in the market for an M.2 SSD. I have an X570 board but I decided to go with PCIe 3.0 due to the responsiveness.

I expect that the bigger players will fix this when they launch their PCIe 4.0 products.

The only thing I see that are more responsive is optane drives. Most of the NVME drivers based on Flash are very close in that regard. Where did you see or read this?

I'm on a x570 build also but using a Corsair MP600 PCIe 4 drive.

All of the Current PCIe 4 drivers out now are based on the PS5016-E16 controller which is why they all top out at 5 GB/sec. The next revision of this controller PS5018-E18 will push that to 6-7 GB/sec.

Last edited:
The only thing I see that are more responsive is optane drives. Most of the NVME drivers based on Flash are very close in that regard. Where did you see or read this?

I'm on a x570 build also but using a Corsair MP600 PCIe 4 drive.

All of the Current PCIe 4 drivers out now are based on the PS5016-E16 controller which is why they all top out at 5 GB/sec. The next revision of this controller PS5018-E18 will push that to 6-7 GB/sec.

There's actually about a 4 second load time difference between the top performing drive and the low performing (Samsung 970 evo) drive.

There is an HP drive based on the same controller that has even lower latencies but it makes sacrifices in other areas.

It is actually hard to find real world testing and I really wish more sites would do it instead of just synthetics.

There's actually about a 4 second load time difference between the top performing drive and the low performing (Samsung 970 evo) drive.

There is an HP drive based on the same controller that has even lower latencies but it makes sacrifices in other areas.

It is actually hard to find real world testing and I really wish more sites would do it instead of just synthetics.

Same site slightly older review no PCIe 4 drives in this one.

And you are right its hard to find Real world testing.

Back