The Golden Joystick Awards 2020: Nvidia takes hardware category; God of War: Ragnarok...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The 38th Golden Joystick Awards, the world's longest-running award show in which winners are decided by members of the public, took place yesterday. It was a good night for The Last of Us Part 2, which walked away with a record six wins, while Fall Guys and Hades came away with two trophies each. There was also a bit of a surprise in the PC Game of the year category, while an Nvidia product took the best gaming hardware award.

Despite being divisive, The Last of Us Part 2 won the coveted Ultimate Game of the Year award, as well as PlayStation Game of the Year, Best Audio, Best Visual Design, and Best Storytelling, while developer Naughty Dog won developer of the year. It looks like it'll be a good year for the TLOUP2, which will be fighting it out in ten different categories at the upcoming Game Awards.

Elsewhere, Fall Guys won Best Multiplayer Game and Best Family Game, and Hades took Best Indie and Critic's Choice Award. Somewhat surprisingly, PC Game of the Year was won by the love-it-or-hate-it Death Stranding, beating the likes of Hades and Valorant.

The ceremony isn't just about titles; there's also a gaming hardware category. This year, it was won by Nvidia's RTX 3080, though the excellent card did stand out in a group that contained the PC Engine Mini, Oculus Quest 2, Razer Kishi mobile pad for xCloud, TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition, Vulcan 120 Aimo Keyboard, and Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2.

In the Most Wanted category, God of War: Ragnarok beat Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil 8: Village, and Gotham Knights, among others.

All the Golden Joystick Award 2020 winners:

• Best Storytelling - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Multiplayer Game - Fall Guys
  • Best Visual Design - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Game Expansion - No Man's Sky: Origins
  • Mobile Game of the Year - Lego Builder's Journey
  • Best Audio - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Indie Game - Hades
  • Still Playing - Minecraft
  • Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
  • Esports Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Best New Streamer / Broadcaster - iamBrandon
  • Best Family Game - Fall Guys
  • Best Gaming Community - Minecraft
  • Best Performer - Sandra Saad (Kamala Khan)
  • Breakthrough Award - Innersloth (Among Us)
  • Outstanding Contribution - The Gaming Industry
  • PC Game of the Year - Death Stranding
  • Best Gaming Hardware - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • PlayStation Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2
  • Xbox Game of the Year - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Nintendo Game of the Year - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Most Wanted Game - God of War: Ragnarok
  • Critic's Choice - Hades
  • Ultimate Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2

Permalink to story.

Obviously these are subjective, but Death Stranding - PC game of the year, lolwut? And the 3080 for gaming hardware, for the 10 people who actually got one? Yes, I'm salty about that one. I had an easier time getting a PS5.

Obviously these are subjective, but Death Stranding - PC game of the year, lolwut? And the 3080 for gaming hardware, for the 10 people who actually got one? Yes, I'm salty about that one. I had an easier time getting a PS5.
At least they didn't choose Godfall. I mean, it's got nice visuals but the story element is hollow and uninteresting. I only have the game because it was bundled with my RX 5700 XT. The fact that it's bundled with hardware is probably the only way that it will get any exposure because it's really kinda "meh".

If they had chosen Godfall, then I would have said "Oh hell no!" LOL

I would have thought Cyberpunk 2077 as most anticipated game of the year....what's the deadline for these awards?

I know this is entirely subjective, but I really feel that Doom Eternal has really been robbed here - partly because it was released so early that the hype kind of died down by the time these awards came around. It got my vote in every category it was in!

I know this is entirely subjective, but I really feel that Doom Eternal has really been robbed here - partly because it was released so early that the hype kind of died down by the time these awards came around. It got my vote in every category it was in!
Even best story? If that was a category.

Back