The iPhone 8 has the weakest sales figures of any iPhone in years, according to market...

midian182

Staff member

From the lacklustre launch day lines to reports of production cuts, we know that sales of the iPhone 8 have been disappointing. According to estimates by market research firms Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) and Localytics, the devices have had the weakest sales figures of any new Apple handset in recent years.

In the US—Apple’s largest market—both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus accounted for just 16 percent of all iPhone sales, according to CIRP. Compared to the same period last year, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus made up 43 percent of sales. And in 2015, the iPhone 6s and 6s plus accounted for 24 percent, which, despite being a typically low numbers often associated with ‘S’ model sales, is still more than the iPhone 8s have managed.

"In terms of consumer demand and reception, the 8 and 8 Plus have a share of total sales that makes them look much more like an 'S' model, while the 7 and 7 Plus was close to the very well-received 6 and 6 Plus," said CIRP analyst Josh Lowitz. "This is not surprising, as the form factor remained the same, and the improvements in features were incremental and internal."

CIRP’s data is based on a survey of 500 U.S. Apple customers who purchased a product during the quarter. While that’s quite a small sample size, Localytics' report, which analyzed data from more than 70 million Apple devices, paints a similar picture. It said iPhone 8 adoption is showing "significant decline," and accounted for 2.4 percent of all iPhone use worldwide, less than half the share boasted by the iPhone 7 models one month after they shipped.

Why is the iPhone 8 selling in such small numbers? Probably because a lot of people are happy buying an iPhone 7, which, now that Apple has dropped the price, is a very compelling option, and as Steve Wozniak notes, isn’t hugely different from its successor. As for other Apple fans looking to purchase a new handset, it seems most prefer to wait for the iPhone X.

Permalink to story.

Logically speaking, if you are going to cash out that amount of money, it would be way better to wait for the 10 than an already "old gen" phone. I'm trying to convince my SO to ditch iPhones and go with Android... no luck so far.

Perhaps the fad is finally fading....and people are realizing that there are things in life other than iPhones.

I feel like this is the 4th or 5th article I've read on this site in the last couple of weeks that's along the lines of "The iPhone 8 isn't selling well". Do we really need another? Surely there is some more interesting news out there.

I think most deeply serious iPhone fans are ordering the new X version and not the me-too iPhone 8. Sales should recover.

Why would get iPhone 8 when you have 7 which is pretty much the same ****, you can even get away with 6. 8 offers faster CPU but that won't be noticable since 7 and 6 are also fast, resolution is still low, everything is about the same. Camera would be the biggest difference. Also iPhone X but everyone mention that already.

Logically speaking, if you are going to cash out that amount of money, it would be way better to wait for the 10 than an already "old gen" phone. I'm trying to convince my SO to ditch iPhones and go with Android... no luck so far.
Unless you go with a Pixel device I would not recommend going with an Android device at all. At least with a Google Pixel device you have that guaranteed update schedule from Google for at least two years. If you're considering a Samsung or other OEM device, best to stick with an iPhone since after they release the device they're too busy getting ready for next year's device to bother about a proper software update schedule.

Because people didn't have a chance to recoup from buying the iPhone 7. People need a few more years after paying them prices.

People still don't get it. Yes, Apple wants people to buy the 8, and the 10, but, they also need to
rid themselves of the excess inventory of the 7. What better way than to delay the 10, make it
stupid expensive, limit the production quantity and make the 8 price, not much less than the 10,
then mark down the price of the 7.
When the excess inventory of the 7's are gone, watch the price on the 8 drop, and the production
level of the 10 increase...Marketing/business 101

Unless you go with a Pixel device I would not recommend going with an Android device at all. At least with a Google Pixel device you have that guaranteed update schedule from Google for at least two years. If you're considering a Samsung or other OEM device, best to stick with an iPhone since after they release the device they're too busy getting ready for next year's device to bother about a proper software update schedule.

Overall Android market share is total domination.
So your advice is sketch and highly flawed.

And Samsung is doing just fine despite the Note 7 thing...

I'm talking about security updates which they do not release. Windows does it every month, I expect Android OEMs to do it as well. You do not pass go, you do not collect $200, you get that patch out now! But the OEMs aren't doing that, instead they're leaving year old devices unpatched against God knows what kinds of exploits putting people's data at risk.

What about the latest KRACK exploit? Where is the patch? I want to see them being pushed out now!

I wouldn't have a problem with Android if the OEMs were doing their job but they aren't. When I buy an $800 Galaxy flagship device I expect support, I expect timely updates on a monthly patch schedule just like Windows does it. Microsoft can do it. Why can't the OEMs do it? Where's the money going?

The device sells for $800 but it really only costs $200 to $300, the rest is pure profits for Samsung. Where's the money going?

Oh I forgot, the money is going into the already overstuffed pockets of the C-Level people at the top. Silly me.

What about the latest KRACK exploit? Where is the patch? I want to see them being pushed out now!
Everything I've read is that KRACK is too targeted and complex to be a threat to the majority of people. Avoiding public wifi is safe enough ATM when the exploit was published less than 2 weeks ago.

Fear monger much?

Fear monger much?
Nope, I hang out in security oriented forums with industry experts and they're already talking about ready-made exploit toolsets to be used in the field that requires no expertise at all; all you need is a notebook, a WiFi card, and a cozy chair at Starbucks to soak up usernames and passwords from random people. These people are already suggesting people to sign up for VPN service because you don't know where the hackers are.

And not just that but what about that one exploit that allows you to execute remote code on the WiFi chip? Has that been patched? Probably not. Bad people are everywhere, you need to be ever vigilant in protecting your data or someone will steal it and use it against you.

I am sick and tired of security not being taken seriously. Every exploit needs to be patched; not at the end of the year, not in six months, it needs to be patched quickly and efficiently. You wouldn't use an outdated/unpatched Google Chrome, Firefox, or Windows would you? Same thing here. Every exploit needs to be patched, someone will use it. I will not use a device made by a company that doesn't take security seriously and right now the only company that takes security seriously is Apple with the iPhone and iOS.

I will not use a device made by a company that doesn't take security seriously and right now the only company that takes security seriously is Apple with the iPhone and iOS.
I was in total agreement until that above line, I'm sorry if I missed it, surely that must have been sarcasm, right?

How does Apple not take security seriously? When there's an update or patch it's pushed out to everyone globally. It doesn't matter where you are or what carrier you have, you get the update the same day everyone else gets it. If that's not a good response to a security issue I don't know what is. It's the same thing that happens when an issue with Windows occurs, Windows Update gets the patch out no matter if you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or a self-built system anywhere in the world. You don't have to beg HP or Dell for the update like you do with the Android OEMs.

Compare this to Android in which it may take months to get a patch downstream to Android users, if ever.

Last edited:
iPhone is over priced and the android options are just as good and for much less money. You really have to be stupid to buy an iPhone or have too much money and looking to show off....

iPhone is over priced and the android options are just as good and for much less money. You really have to be stupid to buy an iPhone or have too much money and looking to show off....
Wow, another Android apologist that refuses to acknowledge the issues that I have pointed out. I have put forth multiple technical reasons why the iOS platform is best from a purely security point of view and you just dismiss it like the issues on Android don't exist. Once again the Android apologists are there to defend their crap platform.

Now I am not saying that Apple is always best, no... that's not the case at all. I am not one of those rabid Apple fans that think that everything they touch turns to gold, no... that's not the case at all.

I am however putting forth perfectly logical and technical reasons and you guys just shoot them down like they don't matter. As a security oriented person who takes security very seriously I cannot recommend an Android in its current state. The OEMs have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to release critical security patches if and when they are needed.

No other platform other than Android do I have to beg third-parties for software patches to software that they don't even own, I should be able to go right to Google (makers of Android) and tell them to update my device. Android in its current state is like having to ask HP or Dell for software updates and waiting for them to release them to me. Even Windows with all of the issues that surround it is better than Android and I like Windows (yes, I am running Windows 10 and I like it).

People are getting sick of getting mortgaging a phone like a house. is it really ok to pay $1000.00 for one that does not much do more than your phone now?

If that $1000 gets me not only great hardware that works well but guaranteed software updates, 24/7 support via phone if I need it, and the ability to walk into a retail store if I have issue and walk out with a new device then yes, that $1000 is worth it. It's that kind of peace of mind that a lot of people want. People here may not want that kind of stuff because their elitist attitude but there are people that want that kind of experience.

Yes there are sub-$500 Android devices but they tend be less than garbage. Small, low-end hardware, not the best screen, limited storage capacity and not even an SDCard slot, etc. Yeah, they're cheap but there's a reason why they're cheap; because they're a piece of crap. Then you have the free devices that MVNOs like Cricket Wireless advertise on TV which are even worse, to call them a piece of crap would be an insult to pieces of crap.

[QUOTE="trparky, post: 1644919, member: 229233"all you need is a notebook, a WiFi card, and a cozy chair at Starbucks to soak up usernames and passwords from random people. These people are already suggesting people to sign up for VPN service because you don't know where the hackers are.
[/quote]
So you've offered 2 solutions - turn off wifi in public places and get a VPN. Neither excludes Android.
And not just that but what about that one exploit that allows you to execute remote code on the WiFi chip? Has that been patched? Probably not. Bad people are everywhere, you need to be ever vigilant in protecting your data or someone will steal it and use it against you.
Please provide white papers on this exploit and where Apple patched this otherwise you're making huge assumptions and being blindly loyal to a brand.

Range is an issue with exploits like this to the "bad people" would have to be in close enough proximity to cause this harm. Fear mongering is purporting them to be everywhere when they're likely going to be in the place you described above - a social place where laptops and bags are commonplace.
I am sick and tired of security not being taken seriously. Every exploit needs to be patched; not at the end of the year, not in six months, it needs to be patched quickly and efficiently. You wouldn't use an outdated/unpatched Google Chrome, Firefox, or Windows would you? Same thing here. Every exploit needs to be patched, someone will use it. I will not use a device made by a company that doesn't take security seriously and right now the only company that takes security seriously is Apple with the iPhone and iOS.
It's a matter of severity - non-threatening exploits may need no patching at all. Severe ones need immediate addressing, though I challenge you to find real-world exploits unpatched that were exploited to cause real harm in the USA for a significant number of people, non-anecdotal.

Browsers and phones are quite different in that KRACK requires someone to be close to your proximity whereas a browser is out on the open web. Again this is fearmongering, overstating the threat. Enjoy your iPhone and the false sense of security it gives you.

Please provide white papers on this exploit and where Apple patched this otherwise you're making huge assumptions and being blindly loyal to a brand.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ode-execution-affects-almost-android-devices/

Right at the bottom of the article it states that Apple has already released updates to fix the vulnerability.

Range is an issue with exploits like this to the "bad people" would have to be in close enough proximity to cause this harm. Fear mongering is purporting them to be everywhere when they're likely going to be in the place you described above - a social place where laptops and bags are commonplace.
And a lot of people spend time in places like that. How do you know that person sitting across from you while you're sipping your latte isn't trying to steal data from your device or trying to hack your device? You don't, therefore you need to stay ever vigilant and keep all software up to date including your operating system and any related programs and security software and passwords safe and complex. That is the only way you can be relatively sure that it won't happen to you.

It's a matter of severity - non-threatening exploits may need no patching at all.
I disagree. All exploits need to be patched, it doesn't matter how bad they are; someone will be able to weaponize it and turn it into something even a know-nothing script kiddie can use with nothing more than a click of a mouse button.

Severe ones need immediate addressing, though I challenge you to find real-world exploits un-patched that were exploited to cause real harm in the USA for a significant number of people, non-anecdotal.
It's not whether or not it has happened it's when it will happen. Security has taken a back seat to just about everything until it's too late. Security must be taken seriously every time. The moment you let your guard down is the moment the bad guys will get you.

Now I get it, open source is good and all and I love open source as much as the next tech enthusiast. Open source bought about Android and I love the idea behind Android but unfortunately Android has been perverted into something completely against what open source stands for. Android was meant to be open yet the Android OEMs haven't stayed true to that promise, they have instead bastardized it into something very much not what it was meant to be.

For instance, take your typical Samsung device. It's loaded down with proprietary software including TouchWiz and other such garbage. I know, you're going to say that you can get rid of that stuff but how? They've locked it down just as much as any iPhone is with locked bootloaders, eFuses, etc. That Samsung device is anything but open.

Now if Android stayed true to their open source roots and didn't let Samsung, HTC, and the like turn it into a bastardized version of its former self I wouldn't have a problem with it, instead it's been turned into just another way to make money with something they didn't create. Android is just as bad as Apple iOS is but the key difference is that Android doesn't have a central authority controlling the ecosystem, Google gave up that right and I consider that a fatal mistake.

Back