The LAN cable works on router but doesnt even gets detected on laptop

kumarcherry2

The lan cable directly from isp works on the router and internet is shared by wifi,but when I connect to the laptop directly it doesnt even get detcted .I used an ethernet to connect the router tolaptop ,and connection is good.so the ethernet port works properly but it just doesnt detect the isp lan cable.can u please tell me w.can someone block the laptop from connecting to the isp lan(I tried changing the mac of router to laptop )but it still didnt work

Just to be clear, your router is connected to the modem is connected to an ISP (new account or old?).
When the PC is wired to the router, both wired and wifi access is fine.
When the PC is wired directly to the modem, nothing works.

Is that all correct?

Just to be clear, your router is connected to the modem is connected to an ISP (new account or old?).
When the PC is wired to the router, both wired and wifi access is fine.
When the PC is wired directly to the modem, nothing works.

Is that all correct?
no,router works fine,pc works fine when connected to router directly,but the lan doesn't get detected when I connect isp cable directly to the pc

no,router works fine,pc works fine when connected to router directly,but the lan doesn't get detected when I connect isp cable directly to the pc
Hmm; You really want Pc -> Router -> ISP to get the full protection a router provides.
What are you attempting by connecting Pc-> ISP?

Most ISPs use 'hardware provisioning' (aka monitoring the MAC) the the device attached. The Router's mac apparently is known (and thus ISP->Router->Pc(s) work) but the PC mac is not (and thus ISP->PC will not get properly configured).

Most ISPs use 'hardware provisioning' (aka monitoring the MAC) the the device attached. The Router's mac apparently is known (and thus ISP->Router->Pc(s) work) but the PC mac is not (and thus ISP->PC will not get properly configured).
I have changed the mac too,is there anything I must change

If this is an absolute requirement, then
  • connect the PC to the ISP
  • call them and ask to have the MAC enabled
  • once that works, then you can have the router pretend to be the PC with the masquerade feature
Usually, the ISP will only allow one MAC per customer.

If this is an absolute requirement, then
  • connect the PC to the ISP
  • call them and ask to have thi e MAC enabled
  • once that works, then you can have the router pretend to be the PC with the masquerade feature
Usually, the ISP will only allow one MAC per customer.
how is that different from router mac to pc mac change??its not working

Hmm; I believe you - - did you know that upon restarting, the PC will revert to it's original MAC? Every NIC has a unique mac burned-in at the factory which is why I question this approach.

Hmm; I believe you - - did you know that upon restarting, the PC will revert to it's original MAC? Every NIC has a unique mac burned-in at the factory which is why I question this approach.
I believe that the mac change is properly done,dont worry about restarting,I have changed mutiple times

I believe that the mac change is properly done,dont worry about restarting,I have changed mutiple times
Hi I have changed my Mac address probably 3 times in my computer life. The reason being is that I wanted to trick my ISP into giving me a new IP address. For some reason I have a static IP address and the only way I can get a new IP address is to change one number in my Mac address. Your ISP doesn't like you doing this and if you do it to often they my stop your service.
@jobeard is the Ambassador about internet connections here on TS. So I would listen to his advise closely.;) I always listen to @jobeard on these kind of issues and bow out once he joins these kind of thread, but wanted to ad my 2 cents here. Here's link from HTG. I'm sure you already know these things, but will post it any way.
https://www.howtogeek.com/192173/how-and-why-to-change-your-mac-address-on-windows-linux-and-mac/

Had a random thought - - the characters used to alter the mac.

You can only use 0-9, a-f (lowercase) and the separator ':'

Back